Why are you deaf?

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
All the romantic handicaps were already taken...

:lol: You crack me up Botts.

Last edited:
Knowing that my DEAFness is genetic doesn't change at thing in how I dealt with the condition.

I suspect this is true of "most people",

Last edited:
I explain to my grandma, she already know me. costly expensive cochlear implant, . my parents knew me I am profound deaf.. grandma said exactly .give up cochlear implant, reason.. said you good smart lots of things. you best.. point, She said too bad. Cochlear implant cost expensive, they knew me I am profound deaf. already, you are deaf! we knew me believe it!! that is point! I value to ASL prefer support encourage to wiser how ASL help better encourage!

"why are you deaf?" questions is about as boring as asking any paraphelics "why are you paralysed?" see? it just fucks them off as much as it fucks us off...

stop asking stoopid questions...its an incrediblly mindless thing, let alone insensitive thing to ask...its like asking old people 'why are you old?' or couples who cant have children "why you cant make babies' or asking a blind man "why are you blind?" dammit no body knows ' the **why** but to a very low level, at science or such might say ' oh it happens because such and such in medical terms or what not(' why dont you ask doctors because they are the only ones **interested in that 'why'..

ask me, 'why am i talking but i cant hear?' geeezm hearing aids ofc, and...well it helps hearing people...its not really designed to help Deaf people...why?? you might say? well hearing people for a long time (untill interpreting as grown to be a 'fad'...no body wanted to know sign it was an underground language...
now...why was that 'underground' we.. i cant be bothered...saying as much as most of us here would be relunctent.

you see...my point is, stop being so flippent lazy!!, use the "SEARCH" its in this website and hundreds, if not thousand of solid 'answers' are all there just waiting for anyone to bother typing in some 2 or 3 ore important associated words... like
you guessed...

why deaf?

try it for youself in future...

now, there's a big lake over there, go jump in there...

Grummer, I disagree that this is an uninteresting and insensitive thread. Because it is a thread on a discussion forum, and not a direct question at any one person, it doesn't have to be answered by anyone who doesn't want to. I'm not sensitive about my hearing loss- it is just part of my journey in life, so I answered with no problem like many others. I also like to read how others came to loose their hearing in their particular journeys- it is interesting. :)

Grummer, I disagree that this is an uninteresting and insensitive thread. Because it is a thread on a discussion forum, and not a direct question at any one person, it doesn't have to be answered by anyone who doesn't want to. I'm not sensitive about my hearing loss- it is just part of my journey in life, so I answered with no problem like many others. I also like to read how others came to loose their hearing in their particular journeys- it is interesting. :)

Good answer....I like the wolf too....:wave:

Laura

well...rephrase your question to be similar your (sic) previous answer....not the typical crude way like 'why are you deaf', think about it!! there's a clear difference between two kinds of questions...look below...

1) Why are you Deaf? glue ear, or disease or born deaf?

2) . I am interested in how others loss their hearing, it is major part of anyone's journey in life. I would like to read how others came to loose their hearing in their particular journeys- or how others came to accept their hearing loss. it is interesting. Please tell me about it.

now see? its quite different isnt it, and you would have saved a lot of interest from potential replies because you have signalled exactly what you want, people dont like vague questions.

well...rephrase your question to be similar your (sic) previous answer....not the typical crude way like 'why are you deaf', think about it!! there's a clear difference between two kinds of questions...look below...

2) . I am interested in how others loss their hearing, it is major part of anyone's journey in life. I would like to read how others came to loose their hearing in their particular journeys- or how others came to accept their hearing loss. it is interesting. Please tell me about it.

now see? its quite different isnt it, and you would have saved a lot of interest from potential replies because you have signalled exactly what you want, people dont like vague questions.

Could the question have been posed better, yes, but it wasn't the intent of the OP to offend...and it's allowed for some nice sharing by the folks on the forum. Not everyone has "journeys" to share. My mother had Rubella, I was born deaf...not much to tell. Others have been more involved, touching, and insightful and it's been a pleasure reading them, how ever the original question was phrased.

Laura

Agreed that the second question is a better way of asking, but I try not to judge on forums where I've come to find non-native English speakers. Here, some people have English as a second language, so I wouldn't attack the direct and simple manner of the OP. Just my thought. *shrug*

Liar... We all know you were in it with Peter Gabriel and it backfired on you.

Actually Peter Gabriel is from the moon. LBJ brought him back personally. That is how PG established a long relationship with POTUSi

I was born with HoH and became severely deaf at one year old, so move to profoundly deaf in early 90's, after hearing aids no longer to help.

It is more genetic because of Usher Syndrome Type 2.

Apparently inherited a gene where pregnancy/child birth causes progressive hearing loss. This is my own diagnosis from something I read somewhere and the fact that my mother started losing her hearing around the same time frame. My mother started noticing her hearing loss about 7 years after her first child was born. Mine was diagnosed (through routine hearing test at work) less than a year after my first child was born, but I did not notice the hearing loss until about 7 years later.

You are the first person I've "talked" to that has this as well. I didn't read all the pages here so there may be more here. I had sudden hearing loss when I was pregnant with our twins. I remember sitting on the floor playing with our oldest and having all of this sudden ringing in my ears. I never really mentioned it just thinking I was hearing the extra blood volume rush through my ears. Then a few months after our kids were born, I thought I had an ear infection and several dr's appointments later I am wearing hearing aids. I'm also convinced that there was something about my pregnancy that triggered this. My thyroid went haywire at the same time too.

I think that I have been destinated to be deaf and an ASL user so that I would teach ASL to deaf ferrets and deaf cats. Make sure they have a place in our society.

After years and years of people asking me why I was deaf or "what happened?"....*sigh*....I just replied several times that I had that terrible ear infection.....and change the subject....

Now that I'm older, people just assume it comes with age...so I don't have to deal with the question much anymore...*thank goodness!*

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember if I did answer this thread. But I'll answer it anyway.

I think it is probably from Skip Generation in my family blood. I have two deaf relatives; one was in 19th century (but it is a long distant cousin), and my great grandaunt. So, I was just born deaf, anyway. :)

Started losing the highs in my early twenties, went downhill after a treatment of antiinflamatories but generally gradual to pretty severe now after medicare age. I now tell people I'm deaf. No matter when, it still causes the same problems, so I appreciate this forum. Now that I'm retired, I have fun sharing info about technology and getting people to accept their own declining hearing more gracefully. Kudos go to my engineer husband who sets us up with things like foghorn loud fire alarming!

Back