Why are there no daycares that specialize in hearing impairment?

shanyd1

Reaction score
Im 25 years old and had my daughter on 5/29/10 she is evrything i could of ever hoped for.. shes 16 months now and iv been home with her since she was born. i tryed 2 different care givers who knew nothing about hearing impairment and hearing aids. i felt that they felt over whelmed.. i finialy decided to just not work and stay home with Cali when the sitter called me in a frantic saying how she lost the part to the hearing aid. and not to mention those batteries are toxic if swallowd.. i just feel like theres so much i want to do to help other ppl in my sisituation. there are no child cares for infant babies with this type of disability.. i feel like iv had to put my life on hold bc there is no provider for her untill she turns 3 and can go to pre school.. but what about the paretns that cant afford to stay home? they end up droppin their child off at the child care facility and she will most likly end up falling behind because he or she is not being properly taught... i want to so badly open up a place for these infants to grow and enjoy learn and be in safe care with knowlageable caring ppl. i just dont understand that if ppl like my self have a child that has special needs.. why do we need to put our family income at steak bc the only option is for the child to stay home with us... Im enjoying every minute being home with my daughter.. im teaching her sign language and mannors...all the fun stuff lol.. but in never hearf of such a place for infants/toddlers that could go for the day while there parents are at work and know that their child is being taught what they need to know. has anyone heard of a childcare like this?

We have a place in Houston that is for special needs and has several deaf babies/tots.
Right now I don't know the link but over the weekend I think I'll see one off the mothers at a social and ask for the link. It is not so you can come to Houston but so ours can possible help you set up one where you are. See ya Monday.

Where in Virginia are you. The is a daycare center in Dale City I used to work at.it is only for kids w/ disabilities, and their siblings. It was called Muriel Humphry Center. We had kids 3 months to 21 yrs old. You can email me if you want to talk about it.

Do you have a school for the deaf nearby? They might have an affiliated child care center.

We faced the same issue and found an ASL- based child care center run by Deaf families for the staff of a school for the Deaf. Most often, they limit it to employees of the school, but we got lucky: because my daughter was enrolled in the school for a 3x weekly parent infant program conducted in ASL, they knew we were committed to immersion and had some space available, so they allowed her and another child to join. amazing! It was a bit tough because it operated only during school hours, closed at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and was an hour from my work ( where I would have had daycare on site) and even farther from our home, but well worth the opportunity to expose the little one to other deaf kids ( nearly half the staff is deaf, so there's a high % of deaf kids among staff families) and CODAs and most important, lots of deaf / ASL-using staff and high school kids who frequently volunteered time to interact with the little ones.

Also, we used Bright Horizons to fill gaps when the school center closed at times/summers and they willingly provided basic ASL lessons to their staff to prepare for us. And my daughter continued their learning by teaching everyone a few signs each day.

Good luck!

Do you have a school for the deaf nearby? They might have an affiliated child care center.

We faced the same issue and found an ASL- based child care center run by Deaf families for the staff of a school for the Deaf. Most often, they limit it to employees of the school, but we got lucky: because my daughter was enrolled in the school for a 3x weekly parent infant program conducted in ASL, they knew we were committed to immersion and had some space available, so they allowed her and another child to join. amazing! It was a bit tough because it operated only during school hours, closed at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and was an hour from my work ( where I would have had daycare on site) and even farther from our home, but well worth the opportunity to expose the little one to other deaf kids ( nearly half the staff is deaf, so there's a high % of deaf kids among staff families) and CODAs and most important, lots of deaf / ASL-using staff and high school kids who frequently volunteered time to interact with the little ones.

Also, we used Bright Horizons to fill gaps when the school center closed at times/summers and they willingly provided basic ASL lessons to their staff to prepare for us. And my daughter continued their learning by teaching everyone a few signs each day.

Good luck!

It makes me happy to know that such deaf centers exist. I am wondering, though, what they look like, since the deaf are visually-oriented. I imagine them to be bright and cheerful places with plenty of eye puzzles.

It makes me happy to know that such deaf centers exist. I am wondering, though, what they look like, since the deaf are visually-oriented. I imagine them to be bright and cheerful places with plenty of eye puzzles.

What is this about, 'FREE JILLIO!' ?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I have never read or see any thing about a disability or deaf/hard of hearing child care centers before. When I was toddler, I was put in the hearing day care or nursery place in Chicago. I never knew what was going on in the center (I thought that my parents worked). I remembered that I had enjoyed playing with the toys but I knew how to put the toys away, but I felt like being frustrated not understanding what children and care givers said. I am glad to learn that there might be a few day care centers for disabilities and deaf/hard of hearing children somewhere in USA and hopefully in Canada. Many hearing people do not know anything about our deafness. That is sad. :( I do hope you can find what you are looking for to help your deaf child be happy and well adjusted to the environment of the day care centers with ASL. Communication is important so ASL is a must for the deaf child.

Now that you are here, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back