Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most that have also admitted to dropping sign language as soon as their child started learning to speak. :roll:

Again, why drop sign? The child is still deaf.
Why sign if the child insists on speaking/hearing?

Good post LadySekhmet.

The other thing is that what would the hearing parents do when their CI child becomes of age and decides that they don't want to wear their CI's anymore.

Then what?

I would be happy that she feels open enough with me to tell me what she feels and then I would never mention the implant again. I would be happy that I gave her the opportunity to make that choice, and not limit her in any way. I have given her the gift of access, nothing more. I am not taking away her ability to use ASL, or the Deaf community, or her school and friends. I am merely giving her access to sound, which she didn't have with her aids.

Tell me exactly how that is abusing her..

But why make it more pronounce by putting a CI on the child? It just alienates the child even more from the Deaf and Hearing world.

All that is doing is making people notice that child's CI more so than HA's or sign language.
"Even more".... compared to what?

The Ci on my daughter is visible enough. Processors on her shoulders (she doesn't like them on the ears) and the coils are mostly viosible.
But children around her don't focus on that.
They might ask me what it is, and when I say that Lotte needs them to hear, their curiosity is satisfied. There's no alienation.
Adults hardly notice the CI's, and if they do, I guess most assume it's some sort of HA.

I think the view you show here is established by d/Deaf people making fun of other people with CI. Creating arguments why someone should not get CI. Arguments based on ignorance and predjudice.

Have a look a a child with CI on a mainstream school, and see how it is being treated.
Then have a look at a child with CI on a Deaf school and see how it is being treated.
Do you already have an idea about the differences?

I would be happy that she feels open enough with me to tell me what she feels and then I would never mention the implant again. I would be happy that I gave her the opportunity to make that choice, and not limit her in any way. I have given her the gift of access, nothing more. I am not taking away her ability to use ASL, or the Deaf community, or her school and friends. I am merely giving her access to sound, which she didn't have with her aids.

That is really nice and I mean this sincerely; however, there's a problem with Father Time here.

Precisely..

That is really nice and I mean this sincerely; however, there's a problem with Father Time here.
Yes... getting hooked on sounds... but is that really a problem?

But why make it more pronounce by putting a CI on the child? It just alienates the child even more from the Deaf and Hearing world.

All that is doing is making people notice that child's CI more so than HA's or sign language.

There is no way someone notices a CI faster than they notice sign language. That is a bogus claim.

There is no way someone notices a CI faster than they notice sign language. That is a bogus claim.

So are you saying that a CI is preferable when combined with spoken language because it is less noticeable to the general public than sign language would be? In effect, because it disquises the child's deafness better? Please clarify.

"Even more".... compared to what?

The Ci on my daughter is visible enough. Processors on her shoulders (she doesn't like them on the ears) and the coils are mostly viosible.
But children around her don't focus on that.
They might ask me what it is, and when I say that Lotte needs them to hear, their curiosity is satisfied. There's no alienation.
Adults hardly notice the CI's, and if they do, I guess most assume it's some sort of HA.

I think the view you show here is established by d/Deaf people making fun of other people with CI. Creating arguments why someone should not get CI. Arguments based on ignorance and predjudice.

Have a look a a child with CI on a mainstream school, and see how it is being treated.
Then have a look at a child with CI on a Deaf school and see how it is being treated.
Do you already have an idea about the differences?

Actually cloggy, I posted research and made full test article available to several members on this board just a short time ago. I'm sure you will be surpirsed to discover that deaf children, CI or no CI, are very often excluded in the mainstream, and that the division increases with age.

So are you saying that a CI is preferable when combined with spoken language because it is less noticeable to the general public than sign language would be? In effect, because it disquises the child's deafness better? Please clarify.

Not at all. I was mearly saying that the previous poster was full of it when he said that a CI was more noticable to the public than signing.

Don't get it? What does Father Time have to do with it?

Your daughter is young. That isn't a criticism of you, or your choices, but the issues concerning eduction and socialization tend to change over time, based on developmental concerns. Stellar success at one point rarely translates to stellar success at all future points.

It is good that you are open minded to the differences she may exhibit as she gets older.

Why sign if the child insists on speaking/hearing?

Because the child is still deaf. I know a little girl who is the same age as your daughter. She is implanted and goes to the same school my neice used to go to. I saw this child just recently. She was speaking and obviously very fluent in spoken English. Half way through, the child started to get tired and wanted to take off the CI. Her parents allowed this. I then got to witness this child very effortlessly switch from spoken English to signing with her parents. It was very obvious to me she was bi-lingual and had command of both sign and spoken language. Unfortunately, I know little sign, but they were able to tell me what was said, so I wasn't totally clueless as both the child and her parents were fluent in both languages.

I don't see why this can't happen for other deaf children. In my opinion, it can, but most parents choose either sign or spoken English as the mode of communication. :roll:

Your daughter is young. That isn't a criticism of you, or your choices, but the issues concerning eduction and socialization tend to change over time, based on developmental concerns. Stellar success at one point rarely translates to stellar success at all future points.

No choice is forever. It is always important to follow your child's lead and if things aren't working, change them.

Actually cloggy, I posted research and made full test article available to several members on this board just a short time ago. I'm sure you will be surpirsed to discover that deaf children, CI or no CI, are very often excluded in the mainstream, and that the division increases with age.
Do I dare to ask for the title.... Yes...

Can you give me the title of that research?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back