Who Should Lead Gallaudet U.?

gotin

Reaction score
Faculty Of College For Deaf Votes 'No Confidence' In New President

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 9, 2006

(AP) The newly chosen president of Gallaudet University, the nation's only liberal arts college for the deaf, received a no-confidence vote from the faculty Monday in a dispute that she said comes down to whether she is "deaf enough" for the job.

The vote, which passed 93-43, is nonbinding. The fate of Jane K. Fernandes rests with the board of trustees, which has said it will not alter its decision to hire her.

Fernandes, who was selected by the board of trustees last week and is scheduled to take office next January, was born deaf but grew up speaking – as some deaf children can be taught to do - and did not learn American Sign Language until she was 23. Sign language is the preferred way of communicating at 1,900-student Gallaudet...More...

Screw Jane

gotin said:
Faculty Of College For Deaf Votes 'No Confidence' In New President

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 9, 2006

(AP) The newly chosen president of Gallaudet University, the nation's only liberal arts college for the deaf, received a no-confidence vote from the faculty Monday in a dispute that she said comes down to whether she is "deaf enough" for the job.

The vote, which passed 93-43, is nonbinding. The fate of Jane K. Fernandes rests with the board of trustees, which has said it will not alter its decision to hire her.

Fernandes, who was selected by the board of trustees last week and is scheduled to take office next January, was born deaf but grew up speaking – as some deaf children can be taught to do - and did not learn American Sign Language until she was 23. Sign language is the preferred way of communicating at 1,900-student Gallaudet...More...

Heck it is more of loathing and sympathetic begging from her. She is making those excuses. She would be SMART to resign and let the BOT start over.

All the blabbing by Jane does not give her any more weight as she is the most hated person in the world.

Sorry Jane you gotta GO!

She and her hearing peers are just like a TROJAN Horse who will bring in audism and destroy the proud Deaf Culture. Her deaf and freaking oralist mother insulted Gallaudet and she put down DPN in 1988 by writing letter to editor in hometown newspaper putting every Deaf individual down.

This is where it goes and it comes around..it is a karma that follows and haunts the soul.

Get real, Jane- turn in your resignation and we will be fine!

:ugh2:

Wow, link please about the letter in '88? it would be really nice ammunition for the protest.
Googled around looking for Fernandes's letter in '88. stumbled upon Jesse Thomas's blog instead and found something startling. If Mr. Thomas is talking about the Starbucks on campus in the SAC(Student Activity Center), then I really believe that JKF is terribly wrong for Gallaudet.

Ordering at Starbucks, No Sign

Jesse Thomas wrote in his blog that Jane Fernandes was at Starbucks ordering but used her voice without sign language and the deaf barista did not understand her. (Warning: the blog uses large letters and may be difficult to read).
Thomas viewed this as an example of Audism.

Fernandes has go to go. Why she was ever hired in the first place, I have no idea. If it was Jordan who picked and appointed her Provost, then it is Jordan who really messed up big time, and it is now biting him in the ass.

Last edited:
Culturally Deaf and deaf oralist

I am Deaf and I grew up oral til I came to Gallaudet '84. Many students were not impressed with me just because I didn't know ASL at all. It hurts. Eventually they got to know me more more everyday. We finally became friends! Today, I am a very proud Deaf woman and I love ASL! I am sad to see the many Deaf students protest against Jane F because she grew up oral. I want to emphasize that Jane is deaf (but not culturally which is fine by me .. as long as she is deaf) Most important is she has a high potential and expertise in many areas. Being a president is a big job and it is not funny. They need to focus on her expertise .. not where she is from as an deaf mainstreamed oralist. Please give her chance. BTW I King Jordan became deaf in his early 20's and he was hired to be the first deaf president ... so..... what is the difference!

Dino

I'm sorry. I m prepared to accept Jane Fernandes as Gallaudet s new president, but her track record at Gallaudet is just too ugly. She is too cold to lead Gallaudet. See my post above, how can anyone decline to use sign language at Gallaudet to order coffee? The workers who serve cofee are Deaf. Jane has got to go.

Back