Who here has a signal/hearing dog?

ShariB

Reaction score
I'm in the process of training my corgi to tell me things like the phone's ringing, an alarm is going off, something dropped on the floor, someone's at the door, etc. I went to both the San Fran ASPCA and CCI years ago to consider getting a trained dog but couldn't deal with having it around me all the time. Now, it's imperative.

Does anyone here have a dog for this purpose and how are you received by businesses when you go out?

You should be aware of the fact that if you train a dog yourself or someone else does, the dog will not be qualified nor certified. This means the dog can not legally go everywhere your ears go, such as the movies/restrurants/hospitals. Only certified dogs can go into these places and be protected under the law.

You should be aware of the fact that if you train a dog yourself or someone else does, the dog will not be qualified nor certified. This means the dog can not legally go everywhere your ears go, such as the movies/restrurants/hospitals. Only certified dogs can go into these places and be protected under the law.

My hearing dog is certified and he is protected under the law , and I am able to get a discount at my vet and do not have to pay for my dog licence at the city hall. Some vets will give a discount on certified dogs and that will save you money . rolling 7 is right , you'll not be protected if you train your dog yourself. But you may be able find place that does train certified
hearing dogs and see if they can work with you.

I appreciate your response but I'm very well versed in the U.S. legalities of owning a signal dog. It's something I've been exploring for well over 20 years. It's not correct that "...the dog will not be qualified nor certified."

(Whatdidyousay, I love your ID :) ). Thank you both for responding. It's really great that you get a discount from your vet.

Apparently, there's some misinformation out there. For now, there's no legal certification process that people have to go through to have a qualified and legally-protected hearing dog. Organizations may say that but it is not true - at least for now.

you are right that you can train your dog to be a hearing dog to your satisfaction and pleasure. but just who is going to certify your dog? you? well that wont work when you go into a movie theather nor a hospital nor a restrurant. only certified dogs can go into those places and be protected by law, otherwise all dogs would have to be welcome. with certification, and proff of certification, you can show the owners you have a legal right for your dog to be with you whereever you are. if they "throw you out" for whatever reason, you can sure under ADA but but but a self-train dog has no legal rights.

I appreciate your response but I'm very well versed in the U.S. legalities of owning a signal dog. It's something I've been exploring for well over 20 years. It's not correct that "...the dog will not be qualified nor certified."

(Whatdidyousay, I love your ID :) ). Thank you both for responding. It's really great that you get a discount from your vet.

Apparently, there's some misinformation out there. For now, there's no legal certification process that people have to go through to have a qualified and legally-protected hearing dog. Organizations may say that but it is not true - at least for now.

Nice you are so smart about everything. Maybe look up and read DeafDoc's post about what people with their self trained dogs running around demanding their rights does for people like her, who actually need a service dog.

This information is 100% incorrect in the United States. In the US there is NO governing body certifying or regulating service dogs. In order to have a service dog, you must meet the legal definition of "disabled" and the dog must be individually trained to mitigate your disability in a way that you cannot. It must do something you cannot do for yourself.

Under federal law, no certification or registration is required. Harnesses or special patches are not required under federal law either. This is an area of law I am well versed in. Please feel free to ask me questions.

Yes, you CAN train a service dog yourself and it can accompany you into public places as long as it is not a threat to the business or to the general public. Most people do not go this route because training a service dog takes 18 to 24 months. It is incredibly stressful.

I'm in the process of training my corgi to tell me things like the phone's ringing, an alarm is going off, something dropped on the floor, someone's at the door, etc. I went to both the San Fran ASPCA and CCI years ago to consider getting a trained dog but couldn't deal with having it around me all the time. Now, it's imperative.

Does anyone here have a dog for this purpose and how are you received by businesses when you go out?

WOW A CORGI. I have a certified service corgi too! People don't ever question him, if that is what your worried about. As long as they have their vest on, and the paper work with you at all times, your good to go. If people say anything, they usually start with "wow I didn't know such short dogs could be a service dog" I guess they don't know how smart the breed is.

Signal Dogs

I have a signal dog and a trainee. Both are Shetland Sheepdogs. One is 10.5 years old, the other is 15 weeks. I take the 10.5 year old with me almost everywhere I go, and seldom have an issue. Also have a website devoted to training your own service dog.... Signal Dogs of West Central Florida

Back