Who has Med-El's Bonebridge?

zeezai

Reaction score
Which one of you here has the Bonebridge?

My ent just told me that I'm a candidate for the bonebridge. I'm really excited and at the same time scared and nervous about it. I don't really know what it's going to be like to have binaural hearing. But from what I read, it's not really "binaural" in a sense that the sound is just transferred to the cochlea in my good ear making me "hear" on the bad side. But then that's better than nothing right? Anywho, please tell me your experiences!

I believe a number of companies are in the process of making the new style BAHA (abutment free) available.

I'm sure the Med-El is great, though personally I might be tempted to wait until Oticon and Cochlear/Phonak also had theirs on the market ...(I'm a huge fan of the Phonak product compatibility - so that would be a factor for me).

I do think for a lot of people it's a nice step up from the abutment style BAHA

well, it's just being introduced here in my country and i've been chosen as one of the first recipients of it here and because of it, Med-el will be giving me a substantial discount. i don't know exactly how much coz i haven't contacted the company but my doctor said about 50% off the price of the implant and may include the doctor's fees already.

You posted elsewhere that one of your goals of the BAHA was to be able to use a phone on either side ... that's not going to happen (unless you DAI etc).

I would really make sure that what you WANT from the BAHA is actually possible. Talk to other BAHA users in the area, join BAHA forums etc.

BAHA helps, but it's not the same as getting your hearing back on the deaf side.

I would also highly recommend doing a "Soft Band" trial before having the surgery. Basically you wear the processor on a specific type of headband that work almost as well as the surgery will. It's really the best way for you to know exactly what BAHA will and will not do for you.

In the USA,Canada and many countries BAHA is covered by insurance because it's surgically implanted.

What's DAI?

Unfortunately, insurance In my country doesn't cover baha so i have to get the money from my own pocket.

DAI Direct Audio Input (a cable that plugs directly into the HA/processor)

DAI is a lot clearer for a lot of people for listening to music etc etc them other forms like t coil.

Bonebridge activated in February 2013

Hi everyone,
I have received a MedEl Bonebridge in January, and it was switched on in February.
I have had SSD (due to an illness) for more than two years.

It has been a very positive experience in that I tire a great deal less in work situations involving conversations. My hearing has become fuller and more natural.
I found understanding language fairly difficult at first - it takes training. The brain has to relearn dealing with sounds. Things I haven't heard for the past two years sounded disproportionately loud (like keyboard keys, my own footsteps, glasses and cutlery)
The settings also have to be finetuned in order to make hearing pleasant.
I''m happy to answer questions.

Back