Which Linux ?

I think that Linux is a create the web-site like Domain or Government only. I don't remember that before. I forgot what I did in my class before.

I heared that the best Linux SO is Ubuntu for now... and I tested with Ubuntu and I am happy with this

Yup sirree Yup Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 is best!!

I just finally figure out how to install ATI's new Linux x86 Display Driver 8.34.8 for ATI Xpress 200 chipset for my Acer Aspire 5040wlmi laptop. I downloaded new graphic driver and tried to install them. It failed to install under terminal window. Later I read the instruction Carefully. Somthing hit my mind "Universe" and "MultiUniverse", head scratching. Huh! that looked familiar until I ran Software Source program. AAAAAHHH THHAARR YOOUU ARREE!!!! I checked radio buttons that have (Universe) and (MultiUniverse). After setting up and try running installation again. I follow Wiki's instruction how to install Universe and MulitiUniverse code and then install ATI's new driver. (I just did copying and pasting to Terminal lot cuz I'm Noob LOL). After it finally installed driver and rebooted the laptop. IT works like a charm!! No "missing" refresh, strange graphic on window, ect. And I tried running Beryl. Not working!? I typed code on terminal "fglrxinfo | grep Direct". I hit return and it says "Direct rendering: Yes". It apparently Direct is working so I must have missing something on Beryl setup. I planned to re-install Beryl perhap SVN.

But the bad news is that I had to stop working on Beryl experiment and hold off till next weekend. I removed 20gb 2.5 inch notebook hard drive (came from old Dell Latitude CSX-H laptop) and planned to store it on high shelf away from my kids. I accidently dropped while placing on high shelf and it landed hard on cement floor. Ohhhhhh noooooo. I knew hard drive is really no good. Luckily I have Acer's 80GB notebook drive set aside but refuse to reformat and install Ubuntu due to risk from my wife's warpath w/ frying pan. The next following weekend. I decide to test the dropped 20gb hard drive and it was making clicking noise and the BIOS screen on laptop show no hard drive detection. Drive is really dead dead and it'll be a good for my kids to play with.

Guess I have to buy another used hard drive in Ebay tho. Now that I know how to do terminal and experience taught me that.

Anyone out there own laptops with ATI Xpress 200m or Xpress 1200 ect (Integrated chipset) should try Linux x86 Display Driver 8.34.8 . ATI finally made Xpress 200m chipset compatible with Beryl!!!! USE XGL!!

Good Luck!
Catty

I think that Linux is a create the web-site like Domain or Government only. I don't remember that before. I forgot what I did in my class before.

It's Lynx. Commonly used at Post Office mail processing machines. I've seen Electronic Technicians rebooted and saw "Lynx" OS in text booting up. It's commonly use for Govt. It appears very basic GUI OS tho (look almost like Windows 3.1).

Beryl desktop in Fedora 6

Hey! I expermented Beryl on Fedora 6 and it already have a package that you can download from it's Add/Remove Software program. I have not tried my laptop that I mentioned previously becasue of spare hard drive was accidently dropped and damaged. It seem that Fedora works nicely on my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. The biggest problem is that I was unable to install Flashplayer plugin on Fedora! strange. Cuz I was able to install flash on other Linux no problem. Must have something I missed.

Here's the pix of cool Beryl Desktop with Cube transparency turned on.

Gotcha!

Gotcha! It's the 64bit Firefox browser issue with flashplayer! I'm using 32bit version which was already in there. I ran it and it worked! Oops I forgot to mentioned above that I'm using Fedora 6 64bit on my 64bit desktop system. I found out that many Linux user who use 64bit browser had similiar issue with flashplayer too. So Now look and drool on 3D desktop LOL

Hope you see pix of my fedora Beryl desktop with cube transparency turned on!!

Attachments

• fedoraBeryl3.png
    fedoraBeryl3.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Purplecatty,

That looks SWEET!! :D I am kinda disappointed that I have found out my Nvidia 7950GT isn't compatible for now. :( But I can wait for the next version!

:cool:
Purplecatty,

That looks SWEET!! :D I am kinda disappointed that I have found out my Nvidia 7950GT isn't compatible for now. :( But I can wait for the next version!

UUmhh. You can check Nvidia's website. They DO have drivers for Linux. I clicked and found "Graphics driver-- Geforce 7 Series-- Linux x86 or Linux x64. You have to remove current driver in Linux then install new updated driver. This should work ( my guess).

I downloaded and installed newest driver on my ATI Xpress 200 on my laptop. It works like a charm. I almost got Beryl working but like posting above it about accidently dropped 2.5 hddr on cement floor. Now I can't do anything till I get another drive for experiment GRRR but I remmy how to do it anyway.

I have Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200 64mb AGP 2x graphic card and it works with Sabayon Linux ( Beryl built in Linux) and Ubuntu Linux W/ Beryl (AGLIX). Linux prefer Nvidia graphic cards to allow maximum graphic speed. ATI works fine but a bit slower (XGL). I planned to swap the Nvidia to my 64bit desktop so I can get fast smooth graphic. So you'll have to play around. You can even try finding or buying older Nvidia graphic card like 4x or 8x AGP or PCI Express. (I'm not sure which hardware your board uses, PCI Express or AGP?)

Try Sabayon Linux, Ubuntu or Fedora Core. Knoppix 5.2 DOES have Beryl but you need to type cheat code "Knoppix desktop=beryl". Knoppix's Beryl didn't work with both of my desktops and laptop so I guess there's bug in Knoppix. Once you got Beryl working, try downloading and install Beryl SVN 2.0 that have transparent cube option like I have... ROFL!!

Good Luck
Catty

Back