Which Best Linux?

rhr

Reaction score
Which best one Linux, but too many many LinuxOS (SUSE, LinSpain, OpenLinux, many many), I am not feeling my headache! which best ONE!

I use Fedora Core 4. It's a nice distro w/ all toys I need. However, if you're just starting out in Linux and don't want to feel overwhelmed, I strongly suggest you try out the Live CD versions of Ubuntu, Knoppix or OpenSUSE.

I tried the Live CD version of Ubuntu, it was a great OS, you might want to try that out without installing it on your hard drive. :)

Lousy Hat Red, BEST is SUSE
Lousy SUSE, best LInSpain
Lousy LinSpain, Best Fedora Core 4
Lousy Fedora Core 4, best Gentoo Linux
Lousy Gentoo Linux, Best Ubuntu
Lousy Ubuntu, Best Hat Red
(again loop)

if you want this
GateLinux?
NudeLinux?
Lude?
Lex?
L-uck?
Sex-Linux?

Bad too! I hate all same Linux, easy fight Company! I WANT BEST ONE! REAL ONE!

I like Windows alone
I like OS X alone

I like any open source linux. If there something I dont like it, I can modify so I can like it.

Richard

Teresh said:
UNIX isn't a distribution of Linux.

Linux is a free Unix-type operating system
originally created by Linus Torvalds with the
assistance of developers around the world.

I like Fedora Core 4, SuSE, and Mepis. Fedora is straightforward and clean. SuSE is interesting and fun. Mepis is just plain fun.

Ummm....which is the best? Real hard to say...so for now...Fedora 4

Y said:
Linux is a free Unix-type operating system
originally created by Linus Torvalds with the
assistance of developers around the world.

I know what Linux is quite well. I'm a Linux system administrator and know the history of Unix from its origins in Multics to the many open source (and not open source) Unix-like operating systems of today. I know a lot about this topic, possibly much more than you do, so please do not imply I am misinformed unless you actually have valid basis on which to do so.

I use Debian and it's fine. The easier linux for the novice use to be Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse and Mandriva

Seriously considering Linspire or Unix on my next 4th PC. I am getting 4th one. It was designed for server. I have several OS, and all of them are from M$ and I think I need to take a break from greedy So calling "Licensing" software. These Unix OS is really free, and you could install as many PC as you want, even sharing with your friends. Those you see that you can buy really involves technical support and other features that isn't offered in free packaged Unix OS.

Teresh said:
I know what Linux is quite well. I'm a Linux system administrator and know the history of Unix from its origins in Multics to the many open source (and not open source) Unix-like operating systems of today. I know a lot about this topic, possibly much more than you do, so please do not imply I am misinformed unless you actually have valid basis on which to do so.

I never imply that you're misinformed.

What makes you think you know more than I do ?
Glad to hear that you're a Linux System administrator.

I've had been richly blessed with my former career world
as a Unix user on a Sun Microsystems working for
these Internet Pioneers/Inventors who were
associated with the ARPANet Group
as part of the Military and Universities
on the communications channel with
Engineers, Researchers & Developers
on a daily basis even long before the
Internet became famous and widespread worldwide.

I absolutely have no interest in sharing this
with anyone about my enriching career experience
until up to this point where I just receive
your comment where I ought to clarify
some misunderstandings/mis-assumptions.

Redhat Linux is better than all of linuxs! :thumb:

I use the Ubuntu Linux Live CD (while my lappy hard drive is dead), it's great OS for my needs on my lappy.

There's no best linux, each of linux (there are over 100 of linux out there) you have your own preference to use.

In the past i have try Redhat 8.0, Redhat 9.0, slackware 9.1, FreeBSD 5.53 (i think), slackware 10.1 and now currently dual booting xp window and slackware 10.2.

If you plan on gaining experience with sysadmin work in mind, RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and Debian are good choices, as they're probably the most common in the corporate world. Gentoo is good if you want to tinker (I know, you don't have to - but that's what differentiates it). If you're new, SuSe is an okay choice; I'd prefer Ubuntu, though.

If you're not sure, it probably doesn't really matter, except in terms of which distro has the most developed (and helpful) user communities. I've found the Fedora (Red Hat) and Gentoo communities to be quite helpful, and I know the Debian community is also well developed. I'm sure the others have helpful communities as well, I'm just not as familiar with them (and I don't think they're quite as large).

You also may find (once you have a better idea what you're looking for) that derivative distros are useful. For example, in the Red Hat family, we have RHEL, Centos, TaoLinux, and Fedora; in Debian, we have Debian, Knoppix/Gnoppix and Ubuntu (and under Ubuntu, we have Kubuntu), and so on.

Back