Where is there a deaf populated neighborhood or subdivison

yo2345678

Reaction score
I am wondering where there might be a subdivision or neighborhood with a large deaf population. I would like my son to be able to have deaf neighbors as well. I want this for communication reasons so my son can have friends in the neighborhood and feel the same as his hearing brother.

yo2345678 said:
I am wondering where there might be a subdivision or neighborhood with a large deaf population. I would like my son to be able to have deaf neighbors as well. I want this for communication reasons so my son can have friends in the neighborhood and feel the same as his hearing brother.

There is a large Deaf community in Frederick, Maryland. The city/town has an excellent school for the Deaf.

Also Western PA School for the Deaf,
TLC in Framingham MA
Kansas School for the Deaf

I have never been able to find such a neighborhood or subdivision. A city like Frederick has many Deaf, but they live all over the place.

I haven't checked on their progress recently, but Laurent, South Dakota is being built as a town for signers (deaf, hoh, hearing) - they've discussed the idea of businesses having to adhere to a town law about basic ASL fluency for employees and you can assume many residents will be signers.

www.laurentsd.com

Try Atlantis. There may be a lotta deafs there as theres no need for spoken sounds there.

Richard

just want to let uknow.. There will be a DEAF TOWN.. since its in processing right now... It'll be in Laurent, SD. You can check it out at WWW.LAurentsd.com
All town will be filled up with all deaf people.. i thought it would be interesting for you to check this out! :)

Don't know what area/state your looking in, but there is a good-size Deaf community in Plano, TX. The Plano ISD is one of the top in the state, and they have a Regional School for the Deaf there. Of course, there is also a large community in Austin, where the state School for the Deaf is.

yo2345678 said:

Washington DC. and Rochester, NY

Can be found in Boston, Mass as well. I notice most deaf tend to draw together in cities like Washington DC and its surrrounding area, Rochester, NY; etc. Just go where you wanted to go to and call up in Deaf communities in that state and find out where is the best location..
:)

The person who answered your question with, "Anywhere there is a large deaf school in town", answered your question. However, JOBS that will include the deaf have high priority also. Rochester, New York is one of them.

Salem, Oregon is a nice place to live and in the nearby community of Keizer.

But why not just enroll your child in a deaf school and let Mother Nature take it's course?

:dunno:

yo2345678 said:

You said "subdivision or neighborhood" None of the answers talked about that. They all suggest places where many DHH live. However, as I previously pointed out, in those places they usually live scattered all o9ver the area. It is very difficult to find a "subdivision or neighborhood" with a large deaf population. An apartment community where there are many deaf would be easiest to find. If you just meant a city with a large population, then the above answers others gave are good. To those I would add Minneapolis, MN.

Riptide said:
The person who answered your question with, "Anywhere there is a large deaf school in town", answered your question. However, JOBS that will include the deaf have high priority also. Rochester, New York is one of them.
Also Washington DC. The federal government MUST hire people with disabilities, including Deaf people. The reason there are so many Deaf people in the DC area is because they come here for Gallaudet, and then the jobs here are so good (with the federal government) that they stay! I am glad I was born here and did not have to move far to meet Deaf people. :)

Back