When two 'objective tests' conflict..........

According to this view, you can!:giggle:

Tell me this: a child is sitting on the floor playing with toys. Someone comes in the door behind him. When it shuts, he turns around and looks to see who just came in. Is this child "acting hearing" because he appeared to hear the door close? Or is just a deaf child who picked up on the vibration of a closing door?

The phrase "acting deaf" is not only insensitive, it is a perpetuation of innacurrate stereotypes. I don't find it odd at all that the posters who are in agreement with such a phrase are actually hearing. Who else would support such a stereotype of deaf children?

I know..that's why I said ok as in ok whatever. There are always going to be people like that so no use in trying to educate them.

shel90 - There is nothing "odd" about his comment in discussion with hearing parents regarding their childs' diagnosis of AN/AD.

Yes, there is. Odd that a doctor has no more sensitivity that to use such a phrase as "acting deaf." Guess he missed the class on diversity training when he was in medical school.

I know..that's why I said ok as in ok whatever. There are always going to be people like that so no use in trying to educate them.

**nodding agreement** That phrase "acting deaf" just got to me. Its absurd!

shel90 - I am always open to learning new things. Are you familiar with children with AN/AD? These children are not "deaf". When a parent is struggling with this diagnosis this is one of the phrases used for describing their child. Dr. Berlin communicates on a level that familes understand and appreciate.These families are not looking for permission to use this term nor seeking acceptance.

Last edited:
shel90 - I am always open to learning new things. Are you familiar with children with AN/AD? When a parent is struggling with this diagnosis this is one of the phrases used for describing their child. Dr. Berlin communicates on a level that familes understand and appreciate.These families are not looking for permission to use this term nor seeking acceptance.

Then Dr. Berlin is perpetuating stereotypes. Unacceptable for someone in the medical community. Likewise, it does no parent any service at all to use such terminology. Parents are not idiots. They don't need the communication level lowered. They need accurrate information delivered in a sensitive manner.

Likewise, you are not in a position to speak to what these families are looking for.

Additionally, using said term to ease the transition for parents is bad enough, but this term was actually used in a published article, not in an exam room with parents. So, your excuse for his unacceptable language in reference to deaf children just doesn't hold water.

shel90 - I am always open to learning new things. Are you familiar with children with AN/AD? These children are not "deaf". When a parent is struggling with this diagnosis this is one of the phrases used for describing their child. Dr. Berlin communicates on a level that familes understand and appreciate.These families are not looking for permission to use this term nor seeking acceptance.

If these children are not deaf, then why do they recieve cochlear implants?

Early Cochlear Implantation

Given the fluid nature of AN/AD and the possibility of spontaneous recovery early and almost immediate cochlear implantation is only strongly recommended in the few cases where the cause of the AN/AD is clearly hereditary and when the history of other family members would indicate that this is the best route. It is however always the parents’ choice and implantation can be very successful especially when preceded by and later supported by CS. Cued Speech is always a useful tool for teaching language and syntax and clarifying the new sounds that the child will hear through the implant.

Deafness is caused by different conditions...either they are deaf or they are not unless Dr. Berlin doesnt want to offend anyone by calling them deaf but rather use the term "act deaf"? It is offensive because it implies that there is something wrong with being deaf. That's the feeling I got when I read that comment. U may have a different perspective but as a deaf person, right there it just shows stereotyping.

If these children are not deaf, then why do they recieve cochlear implants?

Early Cochlear Implantation

Given the fluid nature of AN/AD and the possibility of spontaneous recovery early and almost immediate cochlear implantation is only strongly recommended in the few cases where the cause of the AN/AD is clearly hereditary and when the history of other family members would indicate that this is the best route. It is however always the parents’ choice and implantation can be very successful especially when preceded by and later supported by CS. Cued Speech is always a useful tool for teaching language and syntax and clarifying the new sounds that the child will hear through the implant.

Deafness is caused by different conditions...either they are deaf or they are not unless Dr. Berlin doesnt want to offend anyone by calling them deaf but rather use the term "act deaf"? It is offensive because it implies that there is something wrong with being deaf. That's the feeling I got when I read that comment. U may have a different perspective but as a deaf person, right there it just shows stereotyping.

she90 - This is auditory dys-synchrony. The CI is use to help synchronise the auditory nervous system.

I am sorry if you feel the "act deaf" is stereo-typing. It was not intended to offend you.

she90 - This is auditory dys-synchrony. The CI is use to help synchronise the auditory nervous system.

I am sorry if you feel the "act deaf" is stereo-typing. It was not intended to offend you.

There is no such thing as the "auditory nervous system." There is an auditory nerve, better known as the 8th cranial nerve. The nervous systems are either the periphreal or the autonomic, and combined, known as the central nervous system.

My point is that the professionals in the medical community keeps making comments like these to the parents and it could give the parents the impression that being deaf is such a terrible thing instead of saying the child is deaf and how do we meet their needs. I do not like the "acting deaf" comment at all but instead of getting angry about it, I was poking fun at it and you said it was in poor taste. Hey, if I can poke fun at myself by something I didnt like, at least that's better than screaming and ranting about it.

My point is that the professionals in the medical community keeps making comments like these to the parents and it could give the parents the impression that being deaf is such a terrible thing instead of saying the child is deaf and how do we meet their needs. I do not like the "acting deaf" comment at all but instead of getting angry about it, I was poking fun at it and you said it was in poor taste. Hey, if I can poke fun at myself by something I didnt like, at least that's better than screaming and ranting about it.

shel90 - Okay. :)

Come on, Cloggy. Do you have to be so snide? She's right. ....".
I don't....
The article concludes with
• ‘If the child acts deaf and remains delayed in spoken language, Cued Speech and signs will help assure language acquisition. At that point the family has many options, including, at one extreme, adopting Deaf Culture and Signs for their family, or at the other end of the continuum opting for a cochlear implant and spoken language. Either way the use of cues will have facilitated language acquisition and done no harm.
When one picked the words "acts deaf" to judge an article.... how is it used wrong...
How would you have described what is meant here? Without using those terrible words...

I don't....
The article concludes with

When one picked the words "acts deaf" to judge an article.... how is it used wrong...
How would you have described what is meant here? Without using those terrible words...

Cloggy..u just dont understand so dont worry about it. Why make it your problem?

Oeps...
There is no such thing as the "auditory nervous system." There is an auditory nerve, better known as the 8th cranial nerve. The nervous systems are either the periphreal or the autonomic, and combined, known as the central nervous system.

What are these people talking about... (Google)

Structure and function of the ear and auditory nervous system.
Structure and function of the ear and auditory nervous system. M Lawrence. Abstract. The transduction from sound vibrations to a nerve ending stimulus takes ...
Structure and function of the ear and auditory nervous system.
human ear :: Analysis of sound by the auditory nervous system ...
Britannica online encyclopedia article on human ear, Analysis of sound by the auditory nervous system: Evidence of orderly spatial representations of the ...
original.britannica.com/eb/article-65058/human-ear - 72k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's
Structure of the auditory nervous system in vertebrates—[The ...

Anatomical and physiological studies of the central auditory system have illuminated both the neural mechanisms of hearing and some more general issues in ...
link.aip.org/link/?JASMAN/77/S5/3
CAT.INIST
Anatomophysiology of the central auditory nervous system: basic concepts. The purpose of this review is to provide an overview of the central auditory ...
cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15336909 - Gelijkwaardige pagina's
Textbook
Peripheral Auditory Nervous System and Hair Cells. Cochlear Potentials Hair Cells and Stereocilia Structure of the Auditory Nerve Summary Supplement ...
Textbook - 10k

Small bubble I guess...

Cloggy..u just dont understand so dont worry about it. Why make it your problem?
Written by a hearing person to a deaf person, your post would have been considered an insult and thorough reason for immediate banning....
But in this case.....
Thank you for caring :roll: and for having the insight I know nothing about children "acting deaf".

Thank you for caring :roll:

U have your view of deafness and I can understand your point of view of deafness. However, we have our view and experiences of deafness and a comment like that has a history with many of us. Not all deaf people, no. If we dont like that comment and take it personally, so what? We have a good reason for feeling offended by comments like these because they have impacted our lives negatively by the medical community. U may disagree which is fine and that's why I said you probably wouldnt understand so why worry about it?

U have your view of deafness and I can understand your point of view of deafness. However, we have our view and experiences of deafness and a comment like that has a history with many of us. Not all deaf people, no. If we dont like that comment and take it personally, so what? We have a good reason for feeling offended by comments like these because they have impacted our lives negatively by the medical community. U may disagree which is fine and that's why I said you probably wouldnt understand so why worry about it?
Perhaps.... Taking the words "acting deaf" used by someone to a parent to shortly describe the behavior of that parents child, and taking that personally is ... "acting deaf".
Perhaps using the same words to criticize an article is "acting deaf".

You see... I get it.... even you are acting deaf!

Perhaps.... Taking the words "acting deaf" used by someone to a parent to shortly describe the behavior of that parents child, and taking that personally is ... "acting deaf".
Perhaps using the same words to criticize an article is "acting deaf".

You see... I get it.... even you are acting deaf!

U really have no idea. Not surprised that u wud make an insulting personal remark about me. Iam used to being called nasty names about my deafness. Pretty sad that one has to get used it it.
Anyways, no, I don't act deaf. I am deaf.

U really have no idea. Not surprised that u wud make an insulting personal remark about me. Iam used to being called nasty names about my deafness. Pretty sad that one has to get used it it.
"acting deaf" ... it's not about you! ... let's keep it that way!

No,shel, he doesn't get it, because he doesn't get the various perspecgtives of deafness. He thinks his hearing medicalized view is the end all and be all of deafness. He either can't see all of the implications, or he chooses not to see them because it would interfere with his ability to justify (incorrectly) his view.

Cloggy - Unfortunate that an article from Dr. Berlin and the topic of AN/AD, can derail into hurt feelings for some.

Back