when hoh people left out from deaf calture.

Vorsia

Reaction score
I'm hoh and people don't understand why I get upset when they laugh at me like my boy friend, like. I will tell him I feel like I'm the only one in the room and I'm looking in on the outside. Yelling please. Let me in.........im certainly not mthrilled about this anyone know how I can find a way I can get through this.helping people understand I do not know deaF culture..
70-80 DB on right ear
95db on left ear
God bless

welcome to alldeaf

look like Cochlear Implant & HA

I'm hard of hearing, too. Basically, I've come to the point where if people don't show me respect, I show them the door. I tell them they have to respect me or they won't be a part of my life.

Life is too short to put up with disrespectful behavior. Just think to yourself... "Do I really want to put up with this for the next 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 years?"

If not... then don't.

It's not easy. It is never easy.

I'm hoh and people don't understand why I get upset when they laugh at me like my boy friend, like. I will tell him I feel like I'm the only one in the room and I'm looking in on the outside. Yelling please. Let me in.........im certainly not mthrilled about this anyone know how I can find a way I can get through this.helping people understand I do not know deaF culture..
70-80 DB on right ear
95db on left ear
God bless

Why do you *allow* boyfriend to laugh at you? You are not circus freak or puppet!! Good god, this pisses me off like nothing else!!

I'm letting you in. I understand. Wow! So sorry you have to deal with idjits!!

I can understand you feeling of alienation. What community do I belong? I am Deaf but raised hearie. So, growing up feel like I need to belong to *that* group. Realize I do not. Get frustrated because I cannot understand them but cannot understand ASLers either because ASL taken away at 5. I *know* how you feel. PM if you like to talk.

Hi Vorisa,

Welcome to AD. Do you know ASL? Since you stated that you live in the Bronx, are you attending Deaf Expo in Queens on September 24th?

Welcome to AD! :) glad you found us and trust me, we understand :) We're a pretty strong online community :)

there will be always some patient , well caring ASl user who can converse with hohs, oonce you find them , express your wish to be with Deaf. they will understand it take time and will show the way BUT at deaf club try not to be a pest to them too, give them space , its frustrating i know been there too
now i am welcomed there, still a few eggnogs but i no longer worry about them...
they feel 'lost the war' when you care less about them they Like the power of making you feel worse, sod them, just worry about findin the right one, preferably older members and they'd hook you up to some younger members whose are mature in the head..
best of luck

You all are so right I'm starting. To sure my feelings with my boyfriend he didn't understand the way I felt.

No I'm not good in asl. I'm still learning thank you knowing I'm going through.

Why do you *allow* boyfriend to laugh at you? You are not circus freak or puppet!! Good god, this pisses me off like nothing else!!

I'm letting you in. I understand. Wow! So sorry you have to deal with idjits!!

I can understand you feeling of alienation. What community do I belong? I am Deaf but raised hearie. So, growing up feel like I need to belong to *that* group. Realize I do not. Get frustrated because I cannot understand them but cannot understand ASLers either because ASL taken away at 5. I *know* how you feel. PM if you like to talk.

My own family made fun my speech so I know how much it hurt to be laughed at and to feel like you do not belong ! I agree she should tell her so call 'boyfriend' if he laughed at her one more he is history! No one should have to put up with that crap!

whatdidyousay, I'm sorry that happened to you. That was very cruel. I hope that you have a lot of compassion for that little girl who experienced that. It's not always easy to give yourself that. (speaking from personal experience)

My own family made fun my speech so I know how much it hurt to be laughed at and to feel like you do not belong ! I agree she should tell her so call 'boyfriend' if he laughed at her one more he is history! No one should have to put up with that crap!

That is horrible!!

I was not allowed to speak unless I spoke 'properly.':roll:

That is horrible!!

I was not allowed to speak unless I spoke 'properly.':roll:

You have to be joking!! Some people just do not have any clues what it mean to be deaf or hoh!! They you stick a HA in our ears and just like magic we speak 'properly!

whatdidyousay, I'm sorry that happened to you. That was very cruel. I hope that you have a lot of compassion for that little girl who experienced that. It's not always easy to give yourself that. (speaking from personal experience)

I hope you're able to give the little girl in you compassion , I know our personal experience made us what we're today. And we choose how we want to use it . I try to show compassion to others and hope it will made 'the little girl' feel less hurt.

Back