Whein life deals a rotten hand

bethmeg

Reaction score
When life deals a rotten hand

I wasn’t born deaf, I had normal hearing and eyesight, as a child I didn’t even know deaf people existed, though I’d seen a blind person before.
My parents took us travelling round the world, living a privileged life, meeting famous people, doing amazing things. I scored high in school and was a happy child without problems.

Living in the outback of Australia for a time I was given a vaccine shot after being bitten by a spider. The vaccine was faulty, we didn’t know that at the time but it caused damage to the nerves in the ears. Time passed, I went from top student to getting into trouble for not listening or paying attention, When my parents were told I had some hearing loss they tried to pretend it wasn’t real, didn’t think I needed a hearing aid and sent me to a normal finishing school where I struggled to keep up grades.

My self esteem was low and I foolishly married the first guy to ask me out.
My husband was like my parents refusing to accept I had some restricted hearing, so I continued trying to ignore it too, struggled through university and brought up my family.

My husband was an aggressive violent man, but with my low confidence I put up with the abuse and unhappiness. Till one day my world changed forever.

He attacked me, this time worse than ever before. I awoke in a hospital room, I could smell the hospital odors, but my vision was hazy and the already dulled sounds were now muted almost totally. He's used a table to attack me, fractured my skull, damaged one of my eyes badly, ruptured my ear drums and caused further damage to the ear nerves.
I was aghast, frightened in one fell swoop the world had becaome darker, silent and sninister. Recovery was slow, but if nothing else I’m a survivor like so many of us. I’ve long since moved on from the man who did this, I’ve reluctantly accepted my status as deaf/ blind.

I‘ve been offered very little support in coping with my circumstances, and unskilled in sign language I’m in a limbo between the deaf and hearing worlds.

At first, when people spoke to me and I couldn’t understand them I would say, ’Sorry I’m deaf can you repeat that’.
I thought about the statement and what I was saying.
Why should I say sorry that I cannot hear as they do….I’m not deaf blind through choice, but I am not ashamed of who I am and the deafness which is now a part of me.

I dislike the term ’disabled’ I prefer to say I’m ’physically restricted’…I’ve come to the conclusion that most physically restricted people are better than many able bodied people, with the other senses becoming sharper and a stronger empathy for others. I am able to hold my head up and announce…I’m proud to be part of an empathic understanding community.

Last edited:
I dislike the term ’disabled’ I prefer to say I’m ’physically restricted’…I’ve come to the conclusion that most physically restricted people are better than many able bodied people, with the other senses becoming sharper and a stronger empathy for others. I am able to hold my head up and announce…I’m proud to be part of an empathic understanding community.

Exactly! and welcome to AD.

At first, when people spoke to me and I couldn’t understand them I would say, ’Sorry I’m deaf can you repeat that’.
I thought about the statement and what I was saying.
Why should I say sorry that I cannot hear as they do….I’m not deaf blind through choice, but I am not ashamed of who I am and the deafness which is now a part of me.

Wow bethmeg,

Nicely put.........lost my hearing late in life,,,like you...your quote above has been my experience and reflecting on all that has happened....I'm thinking maybe redefine the Title of this thread from ' When life deals a rotten hand' to something more like ' Event causes Upgrade in Personality and Attiutude'...

Since I don't take things for granted as much anymore...I've certainly gained more ' empathy for others' as you put it..........

GOOD Attitude....carry on! :ty:

Back