What's your major/field of interest?

My college major is IT and love to study in computer related stuff.

I would love to be a photographer, but there is not much money there. Ive thought about graphic design since Im pretty good with photoshop
True. I was 18 then and now I'm 44. There's a bit more to graphic design than Photoshop though. Some people like to specialize in fonts for example. Still others in logos etc..

I was curious to know what others' fields were and if there's any patterns. Some people have told me that the majority of deaf males at MIT went into computer science - that would include me, one other guy who graduated last semester, and people from previous years. I got into computer science because I like the idea of building logic/algorithms from scratch and the feeling of power you get when everything works according to plan :D

So, what field are you in? How did you get interested in it?

I hate repetition. I learned that after putting together mortgage applications. Great money at the time- 2003.

Brother went to Iraq went the war broke. I couldn't go. I didn't understand why he was ordered to. So I read a lot of books and it started to show during college. Philosophy was a key moment in my academics. Things came together and it was beautiful.

I love being creative or finding solutions to problems that are difficult and time-consuming. I almost went completely into Computer Science this fall, but I found out I sucked (designing information systems would've been around where I wanted to be;I had some experience but needed the formal classes) and it would've taken awhile to get somewhat near the salary of what I currently make now. So I switched back on my original career path from my BA: Political Science. I know it's not a hard-science, but I like debating the sticky, thorny social issues so that people who are listening might learn something new. Taking the LSAT in December.

Overall, I think if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll have a stronger desire to master that subject.

There's definitely some fuzzy patterns of how people get their jobs/fields out there. I think it's up to some loose rules and interpretations on personality and already invested time in the field. - It can't be all personality that determines someones path is it, but certainly we're not robots either.

Building logic/algorithms, I think is something that men probably like more than what most women in IT would want to do. Traditionally, it seems to be that there's a higher ratio of men to women in the harder sciences.

On another somewhat unrelated, but could be inferred...if you can master the art of switching "off", as in switching off the "logic" and have "fun", you'll have a higher socialization success rate with women. <<<See "hot fuzz" and "switching off".

I hate repetition. I learned that after putting together mortgage applications. Great money at the time- 2003.

Brother went to Iraq went the war broke. I couldn't go. I didn't understand why he was ordered to. So I read a lot of books and it started to show during college. Philosophy was a key moment in my academics. Things came together and it was beautiful.

I love being creative or finding solutions to problems that are difficult and time-consuming. I almost went completely into Computer Science this fall, but I found out I sucked (designing information systems would've been around where I wanted to be;I had some experience but needed the formal classes) and it would've taken awhile to get somewhat near the salary of what I currently make now. So I switched back on my original career path from my BA: Political Science. I know it's not a hard-science, but I like debating the sticky, thorny social issues so that people who are listening might learn something new. Taking the LSAT in December.

Overall, I think if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll have a stronger desire to master that subject.

There's definitely some fuzzy patterns of how people get their jobs/fields out there. I think it's up to some loose rules and interpretations on personality and already invested time in the field. - It can't be all personality that determines someones path is it, but certainly we're not robots either.

Building logic/algorithms, I think is something that men probably like more than what most women in IT would want to do. Traditionally, it seems to be that there's a higher ratio of men to women in the harder sciences.

On another somewhat unrelated, but could be inferred...if you can master the art of switching "off", as in switching off the "logic" and have "fun", you'll have a higher socialization success rate with women. <<<See "hot fuzz" and "switching off".

I hated being a mail clerk/file clerk more than anything else. When I deal with repetitive jobs, I tend to end up daydreaming out of boredom. I can't not daydream when doing stuff that bores me. I don't dare trust myself with certain repetitive jobs when dealing with power tools cuz I don't want to risk an accident like for example slicing meat at a deli store.

I have always liked to create so even when it's repetitive, I can stick with something that's creative like making jewelry. A lot of it is a bit repetitive but on the other hand, I don't deal with the same color, texture or even size everytime so I can stick with it especially if i'm playing around the design part of it. I think ti's fun to sketch down designs and see them come alive. Anything that's art or design related is a natural for me.

One of my best and most favorite jobs was doing the filing when I worked at the Better Business Bureau. Man, I love filing.

One of my best and most favorite jobs was doing the filing when I worked at the Better Business Bureau. Man, I love filing.

Too bad I didn't know you when I worked at DDI. I hated filling. I would have traded my job with ya. :giggle:

I major in teaching; writing; counselling; homeschooling; and family.

My BA degree is in English; my MFA degree will be in creative writing (graduate in May 11).

I've toyed with the idea of going back to school at some point and getting a degree in either psychology or linguistics, but I am sick of being a poor graduate student at this point and ready to get to work and earn some good money.

Back