What's the Biggest Waste of Money?

Were you replying to my post, Scubalady because I mentioned about loans. ;)

1. Wedding- not waste!-good for memories

I beg to differ.

While it's nice to have a wedding and it can be a nice memory to have for life. Last year, I read that the average wedding costs $30,000. People shouldn't be spending more than $10,000 on a wedding. More than that... just plainly irresponsible and it can dampens your future... financially-wise.

It's one of the biggest industries in the USA, people get sucked into wasting all sort of money on services for their weddings. $30,000 could had been used to make a payment on a house. Not only to mention the fact that many, many adults are already burdened with debts for college, loans and more and the idea of the average wedding costing $30,000 isn't really something one would want to think about.

I wouldn't use up my life savings on a wedding. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few thousand dollars, but I'm definitely not going to spend more than $10,000 when that money can be put to better uses. I wouldn't be surprised if the high costs of the wedding is a factor in many divorces nowadays because of the post-wedding financial burdens. When it come to weddings, people need to realize that money is an object after all.

Spend responsibly and you may create a memory to keep for life.

I think lottery tickets are a waste of my money. Stocks are a better investment if you know how to play the market.

That is very true, and you have to be very careful!! Watch the markets along with politics, it helps!!

Kashveera

I beg to differ.

While it's nice to have a wedding and it can be a nice memory to have for life. Last year, I read that the average wedding costs $30,000. People shouldn't be spending more than $10,000 on a wedding. More than that... just plainly irresponsible and it can dampens your future... financially-wise.

Spend responsibly and you may create a memory to keep for life.

I don't know why but I am tending towards agreeing with you because I see it happening with Indian weddings, they are so loooong and so grand, its just so much money going in! and with the high divorce rate, why the hell waste your money!!

My parents have suggested that I have a small wedding, with those that have contributed to my life, and a stunning location! That's all you need, no fancy things, the most beautiful things in life, are indeed the most simplest things!!

You can hit me back!! :)

Kashveera

Wedding cost: $409; memories: priceless

Rachel Young
OLYMPIA - When Nga Huynh came to the United States, she wanted to get married.

Lynn Krupski of Olympia, a friend of Huynh's sister, Hoa, sponsored Huynh's emigration from Vietnam and helped her get into the dating game.

"She came because she wanted to be married, to find that special somebody," Krupski said.

Huynh jumped into the Olympia singles scene and, about five months ago, Krupski helped her put a personal ad on Yahoo Personals. That's how she met Glenn Waldron, the man she vowed to love forever in Krupski's living room on Saturday.

Waldron, a single father of four, had no time to meet people.

"It's a full-time job being a single parent," he said.

They decided to marry after dating for five months.

"We both wanted a simple wedding," Waldron said.

The couple wanted a small get-together to celebrate the union with friends and family. Waldron wanted to save money so Huynh can go to Vietnam and visit her elderly parents, so they decided to do something inexpensive.

The couple got married in a civil ceremony at Thurston County courthouse and repeated their vows at a reception for friends and family.

"We decided to have a nice wedding, but not spend a lot of money," Huynh said.

With Krupski's help, the celebration came together for less than $500.

The biggest bargain of all was Huynh's dress, which Krupski and Huynh won in an eBay auction. It's hard finding dresses that fit because Huynh is a size 2 petite, she explained.

The gown was custom made by a company in Taiwan to Huynh's measurements. Her dress, veil and petticoat cost $150, including shipping.

Krupski bought flowers from Costco and Top Foods for $36 and arranged bouquets, boutonnieres and centerpieces herself. She purchased food, drinks and the wedding cake for 50 guests at Costco for $223.

The goal was to find a fun, quality and inexpensive way to give Waldron and Huynh a nice celebration, Krupski said.

It's a shame that couples spend so much money on weddings and receptions when they can have a memorable event for very little money, she said.

"What we're here to do is bask in this special moment," Krupski said. "It's the love we're here for."

Here is a high-level look at expenses for a $5,000 wedding. This is just a guide. You may wish that flowers are highly important for your event and spend twice as much than what is presented below.

Reception (food, drink, site) $2,100
Photography/Videography $450
Entertainment (DeeJay) $450
Bride’s Gown, accessories $400
Flowers $300
Transportation $300
Gifts for attendants, parents $250
Favors, decorations $200
Wedding Cake $200
Invitations, Thank you cards $150
Officiant service $150
Groom’s tuxedo, accessories $50

Here is a high-level look at expenses for a $10,000 wedding. This is just a guide. You may wish that flowers are highly important for your event and spend twice as much than what is presented below.

Reception (food, drink, site) and wedding planner $4,200
Photography/Videography $900
Entertainment (DeeJay) $900
Bride’s Gown, accessories $800
Flowers $600
Transportation $600
Gifts for attendants, parents $500
Favors, decorations $400
Wedding Cake $400
Invitations, Thank you cards $300
Officiant service $300
Groom’s tuxedo, accessories $100

Here is a high-level look at expenses for a $22,000 wedding. This is just a guide. You may wish that flowers are highly important for your event and spend twice as much than what is presented below.

Reception (food, drink, site) and wedding planner $9,240
Photography/Videography $1,980
Entertainment (DeeJay) $1,980
Bride’s Gown, accessories $1,760
Flowers $1,320
Transportation $1,320
Gifts for attendants, parents $1,100
Favors, decorations $880
Wedding Cake $880
Invitations, Thank you cards $660
Officiant service $660
Groom’s tuxedo, accessories $220

Here is a high-level look at expenses for a $30,000 wedding. This is just a guide. You may wish that flowers are highly important for your event and spend twice as much than what is presented below.

Reception (food, drink, site) and wedding planner $12,600
Photography/Videography $3,000
Entertainment (DeeJay) $2,400
Bride’s Gown, accessories $1,800
Flowers $1,800
Transportation $1,500
Gifts for attendants, parents $1,500
Favors, decorations $1,200
Wedding Cake $1,200
Invitations, Thank you cards $900
Officiant service $900
Groom’s tuxedo, accessories $300

That is very true, and you have to be very careful!! Watch the markets along with politics, it helps!!

Kashveera

Agreed. I think investing in stock is a lot like gambling but the odds are much better especially if you're a news junkie.

How about this, you waste alot of grant money to earn 2 BS degrees from college and not even use them at all!

Well, If I knew that going to college and getting BA degrees would
be a waste of time and money... then I would have stay at
home with my mommy 15 years ago.

So now I realize that all doors of opportunity are close on me,
I just gonna stay at home, after I pay off my college loans...
then I gonna save my money for 30 years... Then when I get old...
I'll buy myself a house and car and stuff...

Nope, I don't wanna get marry or have kids... because
Men might cheat on me or sleep with other men, since people are too
open minded these days...
And Kids won't live off my expectation, so why bother to have kids.
And plus Men don't need me, they got all the beautiful women to choose before they ever go to me, and sex isn't that great anyway...

I'm just LUCKY, I guess.:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

1. Wedding
2. Traveling
3. Buying stocks
4. College
5. Cigarette
6. High Tech such as Sidekick
7. Gambling and buying Lottery ticket
8. Fast food
9. Holiday Shopping
10. Bottle Water

That is my opinion.

1.Wedding- Not waste, small wedding is fine..
2.Traveling-Not waste, we love to travels..
3.Buying Stock- Not waste, I have 401-k retirement plan I need that.
4.College- Not waste, it is fun go to college and to learn more stuff..
6.High Tech- Maybe not waste, it is depend what kind brand you buy.
7.Gambling- Yes waste, I work there, I see people have gamble problem. They need to learn how to handle and not to spend lots of money on gamble.
8. Fast food- Maybe not waste, it depend don't feel like to cook..
9.Holiday shopping- Nah not waste, need that good memories.
10.Bottle water- Not waste, we need it, better than tap water yuck!

I'm sorry but I still do not think weddings are a waste of money, if some people want to spend more than a million dollars on a wedding, they can, afterall, it's their money, they can do whatever they want with it, for myself I wouldn't spend that much money on a wedding, maybe a few thousands of dollars but that's all, after all it's once in a lifetime thing, if some end up with a divorce, oh well I guess that's life...

but the bottom line is, everyone has that right to spend their money the way they want it to spend it on, some people spend thousands of dollars on a purse, dress, coat etc amazing but I wouldn't....:eek3: ...

I might wear it once and take it back LOL jk.. I'm not that rich but it would be nice through..

These are not a waste of money, but they are the things that eat all my money away.

hearing aid batteries
gas
heat
electricity
Dog food

1. Wedding == i don't think it is waste
2. Traveling==i don't think it is waste if we wanna to visit place we wanna to see
3. Buying stocks == so so but can use for good use
4. College == so so can use for getting good job or whatever
5. Cigarette ==i think it is WASTE
6. High Tech such as Sidekick==i don't think it is waste cuz wanna to keep in touch
7. Gambling and buying Lottery ticket == i think it is WASTE
8. Fast food == i think it is WASTE if i don't like the taste of the food
9. Holiday Shopping== i don't think it is waste
10. Bottle Water ==i don't think it is waste cuz need for clean the body and if getting hot

That is my opinion.

The cheapest way...

1. Go to Dollar Store and buy $1 gift for everyone. == i think it is WASTE money if not last long

2. Don't buy or subscribe Newspaper == love to read newspaper but i recycle no plm

3. Reused Foil== eek can't use that and Plastic bags== can use that if wrap with sara wrap and put in there but trash the sara wrap

4. Go payless shoe store== some of the shoes are not good don't last long

5. Use coupon or buy cheap store brand food == eh eh so so

6. Bring some ziplock full of snack and bring on the plane== huh whatever airplanes do serve food and drinks

7. Don't get Directv or Time Warner, watch only local channel == local channels is a boring shit

8. Don't go to Movie Theatre, rent movie== eh i like movie theatre cheap price before 6pm

9. Buy stuff on the internet with free shipping.== what the if some of us don't have credit cards DUH

10. Use food stamp. RME

1. Wedding- not waste!-good for memories
2. Traveling-not waste!-good for memories
3. Buying stocks-not waste!-good for retired
4. College-not waste-good for careers
5. Cigarette-WASTE-kill you!
6. High Tech such as Sidekick-not waste-need communcation
7. Gambling and buying Lottery ticket-WASTE
8. Fast food-not waste-good for travel on road-stop by to eat there
9. Holiday Shopping-not waste-good memories
10. Bottle Water-not waste-need clean water for body

M-:afro:

i agree with you smile

eBay, hands-down. I buy so much junk on there for kicks to amuse me when I'm bored. Today I bought a 1983 Bandai transformer cause of the memories of that certian toy- I wanted it again and a pair of handcuffs so I can practice picking them. I still wanna buy stuff but don't know what junk to buy :D

These are not a waste of money, but they are the things that eat all my money away.

hearing aid batteries
gas
heat
electricity
Dog food

Sounds strange to me. If this is true, why not throw away your hearing aid, your car your heater, your electricity, and your dog?

Empress, you have never been in a real good relationship or u never been in a real lovable one, but either way, everything you said, best way to save and 10 things that are a waste, where you get that from?

I know I was happy having 2 weddings with my wife and I. 1st was cheap and to the point where mostly our families where there. The second was 3 years later and larger soo more of my family can be there. We had a great time and was nice to see everyone.

If it where not for tech, then how would the deaf be able to hear again? How would the deaf be able to communitace with the hearing world? You would not have TTY and CI. You would not even have HA if it where not for tech.

Only thing I see that is a waste of time is the bottle water, since I drink tap and who knows what is really in the bottle water; gambling, but lotto is good, they give some the sales to the schools in some states; cigarette, but then again, I never smoked; and fast food, but they are good for a quik stop to get something in the stomach just they are mostly fatty foods.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Now the other half:

1. Go to Dollar Store and buy $1 gift for everyone. == That is not a bad idea for a xmas party or for someone u really don't know, but other then at, it has no value or meaning behind the gift

2. Don't buy or subscribe Newspaper == I don't get them to start with, but read them on the internet

3. Reused Foil and Plastic bags== Sorry, that is one thing I won't do. My mother did that and abt after the 3rd use, they get nasty as hell

4. Go payless shoe store== Already do, their shoes last longer then the name brand shoes for me and my family

5. Use coupon or buy cheap store brand food == Sorry, but the name brand stuff taste better then the cheap stuff a lot.

6. Bring some ziplock full of snack and bring on the plane== Good for kids and self, but the snacks are already included in the price of the ticket.

7. Don't get Directv or Time Warner, watch only local channel == min of 60 channels with movies, old shows, games and interesting shows or the same 4 boring channels day in and day out that might have a good show between 4pm-8 pm? your call

8. Don't go to Movie Theatre, rent movie== Don't go most of the time, soo, don't matter to me

9. Buy stuff on the internet with free shipping.== Some times, we can take that add into the store and show them, then they will match the price or bet it. Also, sometimes Internet is not always the cheapest way.

10. Use food stamp. Ummm, I make too much to get food stamps. That is something that is based on imcome. If I got it, hell yeah, save my money, but I don't

Things that I know I have wasted my money on:

1. credit cards..didnt need to buy uneccessary things with them..now working on paying them off.

2. The trade in value of my car was lower than what I owed..should have waited.

3. Buying duplicate foods or items that I already have at home due to not paying attention to what I buy. Come home and see that I already have them! Need to make a habit of making a checklist before going to the food store

4. Buying my daughter useless junk that she ends up never playing with.

5. Buying name brand clothes at the full price. Now I wait until things are on sale or go to the thrift store.

Things that I think are a waste of money:

1. Buying clothes for dogs or cats
2. Gambling
3. Cigarettes
4. Drugs
5. Hotel rooms for a quickie:giggle:

Things that I know I have wasted my money on:

1. credit cards..didnt need to buy uneccessary things with them..now working on paying them off.

2. The trade in value of my car was lower than what I owed..should have waited.

3. Buying duplicate foods or items that I already have at home due to not paying attention to what I buy. Come home and see that I already have them! Need to make a habit of making a checklist before going to the food store

4. Buying my daughter useless junk that she ends up never playing with.

5. Buying name brand clothes at the full price. Now I wait until things are on sale or go to the thrift store.

Things that I think are a waste of money:

1. Buying clothes for dogs or cats
2. Gambling
3. Cigarettes
4. Drugs
5. Hotel rooms for a quickie:giggle:
sorry, the hotel room, my wife and I used that one time and it was nice. Since we couldn't get alone time right before I left for Germany and we didn't have our own place no more.

sorry, the hotel room, my wife and I used that one time and it was nice. Since we couldn't get alone time right before I left for Germany and we didn't have our own place no more.

I mean for like a 5 min quickie!!! Like people meeting on the sly and then wham bam and thank u. Waste of money! LOLOL

If spending the night, SURE I would go for it! Sometimes it is nice to have sex other places.

:giggle:

Back