What's that sound, Mommy?

Sorkabeth

Reaction score
I get hear this question probably 10 times a day from my hearing 2 year old and most of the time I can't hear the sound. I'm never sure what to say so I usually ask him what he thinks it is but I can never tell him if he's right or wrong. It makes me sad to be unable to teach him about the sounds in the world around him and share those moments. I know there are other parents on here, how have dealt with questions about sounds you can't hear?

its tough for sure -- but a 2 year old is always distracted so making your own sound and play a game he will forget what he asked. On the other hand - a few times I can look around and look for clues what sound he referring to and try to mimic it. if it fails a simple smile and a shrug can calm and reassure the baby .

It is too bad there is not some kind gadget that will you tell what the sound is. Can you ask someone to tell what your child is hearing? My daughter could whistle before she could talk . My sister was whistling at my baby one day and I asked my sister why she was doing that and my sister said." she
whistle at me first!" I really wish I could had heard that! I can understand what you mean.
But I would not let your child thing something is wrong , like someone said made a game of it.

It is too bad there is not some kind gadget that will you tell what the sound is.

I'm actually incredibly surprised we don't have any gadgets for that.

... It's something I'm looking into, though. Well... Kinda. The nerd in me is going to find answers of one sort or another.

Back