What's It Like To Have A Deaf Child?....

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Diamond Babies project will follow a number of families with deaf children as they grow up. It will ask them to share their stories and experiences to help other families with a deaf child. Around 90% of deaf babies are born to hearing parents with little experience of deafness, although the project will involve deaf and hearing parents from a range of backgrounds across the UK.

Amy Skipp, NDCS Head of Research explains:

“We want to look at the experiences of families with deaf children, from diagnosis and at different ages as they grow up. How do parents deal with the day-to-day issues that come up and what outlook do they have for their deaf child?

“From interviews carried out so far, we know how stressful and upsetting it can be for many parents when their child is first diagnosed. But we are also learning from parents of older children what a fulfilling and rewarding experience having a deaf child can be. We hope the Diamond Babies project will offer families stories to encourage and reassure them that their deaf child can lead a happy and fulfilling life.”

The project is part of the charity’s Diamond Anniversary celebrations themed ‘Language without limits – a future without barriers.' Participating families will be interviewed each year about some of the issues, practicalities and successes they have. It will include how they felt when their child was first identified as being deaf, the challenges and achievements the whole family experiences in daily life, and their hopes for the future. Their stories will be shared with other families through the NDCS website (www.ndcs.org.uk) and later in the project all the stories will be published in a book. The interviews will also provide NDCS with information on what families really need support with, which stages of childhood are most challenging, and will help to inform future service provision.

Already some common themes are emerging – the worry at receiving test results, concern at lack of experience of deafness, and parents’ anxiety and hopes that their child will lead a happy and fulfilling life. Many parents admit they hadn’t even met a deaf person before and really needed more information and reassurance. But the strongest theme is the parents’ wishes for their children’s happiness, and their commitment to doing whatever they can to help their child.

Baby Chloe, aged six months, had her first hearing aids fitted when she was just nine weeks old. Her mum says:
“I’d like her not to see her deafness as something that will stop her from doing whatever she wants to do in life. We don’t want there to be any barriers to her reaching her full potential. We hope she will feel she can do anything she puts her mind to.”

Mirage is 12 years old and was identified as being deaf when she was eight months old. Her dad says:

“I’d love to speak to other parents of deaf children and tell them not to worry about their child not achieving or not getting on in schools. I hope my daughter will go to college and then perhaps university. It’s her choice though. I don’t know about work because I’m aware there is a lack of provision to support deaf people in the workplace. I just hope she is successful and happy in whatever she does.”

-ends-

Notes to editor

For further information or an interview with one of the families please contact Sarah Etwell T: 020 7014 1144 sarah.etwell@ndcs.org.uk or Paula Whitworth T: 020 7014 1146 paula@ndcs.org.uk
The National Deaf Children’s Society is the only UK charity solely dedicated to supporting deaf children, deaf young people, their families, carers and professionals working with them.
Parents can contact the charity’s freephone helpline on 0808 800 8880 (voice and text)

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/news_media/ndcs_press_releases/whats_it_like.html

---------

I find this web site program quite interesting, it may help alot of hearing parents out there to know what to do on how to rasie a deaf child, and what's it like to have a deaf child too... :thumb:

and tell them not to worry about their child not achieving or not getting on in schools. I hope my daughter will go to college and then perhaps university. It’s her choice though. I don’t know about work because I’m aware there is a lack of provision to support deaf people in the workplace. I just hope she is successful and happy in whatever she does.”
Yes, we can acheive despite the fact that we are somewhat "different"...I see SO many parents worrying about stuff when their kids are ID as disabled or deaf or whatever. I also wish that more parents would understand that having a kid with a disabilty doesn't mean the loss of a dream. You child is their OWN person, and will have different goals and dreams in life, even if they have no disabilties whatsoever!

I so agree with this

deafdyke said:
Yes, we can acheive despite the fact that we are somewhat "different"...I see SO many parents worrying about stuff when their kids are ID as disabled or deaf or whatever. I also wish that more parents would understand that having a kid with a disabilty doesn't mean the loss of a dream. You child is their OWN person, and will have different goals and dreams in life, even if they have no disabilties whatsoever!

It took me two years to accept the fact that my son needed sign langauge. It was hard enough dealing with his Down Syndrome and then at birth to discover he was profoundly deaf was such a blow on top of that. I felt I could deal with one or the other, but to deal with both at the same time seemed impossible. So I set about trying to "fix" his deafness. He began wearing hearing aids at 4 months and we worked on auditory skills for 2 years. He can understand some sounds but he showed me he really needed sign language to fully understand and to tell us what he wanted. he began his signing this past August and he has amazed us to no end how quick he remembers a sign. Meeting adult Deaf people and seeing what they have done and how happy they are has helped me a lot in raising my son. We are just beginning.
I think his new school is amazing and very supportive. But even there, many of the kids who are learning sign have parents who are not learning sign. They just feel it is too hard.
I am enjoying learning sign. 2 years ago I did NOT want to learn this. Now I see i wasted so much time.
thanks for letting me join this forum.

From what I know now, since I have Deaf friends and I am learning ASL, I wouldn't be even close to devastated if I had a Deaf child. Most hearing people who have a Deaf child go the period of denial where they think something is wrong with their child and they need to fix them, because their child is not apart of their "hearing culture" or something along those lines. These are usually the parents who get their child CI's at very young ages, not knowing whether or not the children want them in the long run, they are just saying they do now, when since they are so young they might not even know what they are agreeing to, if they arent the children who get CI's as infants.

My question is, do Deaf parents go through this denial if they have a hearing child? Do they deny that their child is not Deaf like them? They will still be CODA and most likely have and use ASL, but is the deafness itself that they lack that the parents might be upset over? Some of what I have read about CODAs say that they often grow up with ASL, and most of the time endup being their parents interpreters everywhere they go. Please express your thoughts on this issue, because I am really curious.

I felt I could deal with one or the other, but to deal with both at the same time seemed impossible. So I set about trying to "fix" his deafness. He began wearing hearing aids at 4 months and we worked on auditory skills for 2 years. He can understand some sounds but he showed me he really needed sign language to fully understand and to tell us what he wanted. he began his signing this past August and he has amazed us to no end how quick he remembers a sign. Meeting adult Deaf people and seeing what they have done and how happy they are has helped me a lot in raising my son. We are just beginning.
I think his new school is amazing and very supportive. But even there, many of the kids who are learning sign have parents who are not learning sign. They just feel it is too hard.
I am enjoying learning sign. 2 years ago I did NOT want to learn this. Now I see i wasted so much time.
Well I can totally understand that....Down's syndrome is a tough syndrome on paper....but many people with it do well....matter of fact it might be underdiganosed...and I remember reading somewhere that there are kids with it who may have normal IQs.
I think Deaf culture would thrive if we reconized that parents are often hesistant about new or theraputic or methods directly associated with disablity. We should welcome them and encourage them to learn with the "it's fun" approach! ASL is a lot more fun then going "boobebah" in speech therapy...I think a lot of parents are still buying into the "I want a healthy normal" kid mentality when they chose whatever method...I mean auditory-verbal programs really push the fact that their methods aren't "sign or Cued Speech" or speechreading"! Many of us have been there....It took me seventeen years to come to terms with the fact that I am a person with a disabilty. I realize that when Iwas little I had not come to terms with being disabled....butI've never known what it's like not to be disabled.

Well Since this is a good subject and i can speak the honest truth about this subject, I will. And im going to be really really honest about this. Because i see that in google there is not allot for parents to relate to, when i type this in to google search. And this comes up at the top or nearly the top.
First off, deaf children are just like any other child out there, they want and need the same things, any other child needs and wants. They can be come frustrated when tired, get happy to see a cool movie, love mickey mouse and love to play with and be accepted by other children among all other facets of just being a normal kid. And being the parent of a child that is deaf neurologically, i can say this with some first hand experience.
Most deaf children also do undergo allot of different therapy and doctor's visits also. This is allot to handle for both parent and child and can be taxing paperwork schooling, and the paper work to get in a program. Very taxing on the energy supply. There are definitely allot of activity needed for stimulation in multiple manners that deaf children require. And definitely allot of money.
With the above being stated, I would also like to add, because of the fact that deaf children are just normal kids with a slight visible minor discrepancy (Because it's not a problem it's a minor discrepancy, Get it straight). The sheltered lives, and ignorance of others, becomes very apparent seemingly, increasing by the day even, at some points. You as a parent become very aware of how poorly most men and women handle there own children, and the absurd tactics that most people attempt to use on there own children. And you begin to have a clearer perception of how screwed up the majority of the general population is and can be.
It becomes hard at points, to deal with adults mainly. Not so much the kids or your child. It becomes hard because like i have stated above, most people live sheltered lives, and never experience the trials and tribulations of this minor discrepancy, as a parent, or them selves. Much like any other minor discrepancy. People are unwilling mostly to accept the obvious or remain in denial to deny being uneducated about this particular subject matter. Adults can become very nasty and disgustingly rude. People in general but mainly adults, don't realize how being deaf can stem hyper activity, because of only so much info being absorbed if at all threw the auditory. Or how frustrating it can become, to not know if someone understands you especially as a infant or toddler. you have to think and be extra patient to a child needs when this is the case. It can be very frustrating for a child when they are thinking one thing and meaning another and not be able to vocalize it and can see you and no one else immediately understand.
Many adults have no clue of different levels of deafness, and only think cant hear anything. They don't realize how it must be for a child to hear things that sound like static, and reverb threw a broken microphone, hooked up to a bad amplifier. Many adults see children that scream, and get very anxious, in a department store, or grocery store or similar setting and assume, it's just another brat with a parent that doesn't punish them correctly. Because most people are hardons. And they stick thee upper lip in the air, make rude comments, start to make insults to the parent, and taunt the child. The adults will gang up on you at points, and band wagon. They will say things like, that's not our problem to deal with. They will expect you to leave or feel ashamed of your child doing this , unknowing that to the child this is allot of static reverb and overwhelming frustration to absorb, being as strong as they can as children, to last as long as possible, without acting out, with the hyper activity or attention span issue they may deal with. The children aren't blind most of the time either and when your emotions are in a overwhelming state adults staring and pointing at you as a small child upset is pretty frustrating to be put through constantly.
People are sick , and maybe one day I my self will get a clear sign and green light to throw a foot up a butt wipes BigAdoodle doodle, but it's not all negative what so ever, other then from the ignorant majority that you have to be strong enough to stand tall and stick up to. I't everything you look forward to in being a parent. Outbursts do come a little more frequently from my experience and there is allot more study for speech and such since people assume that a few words means the child is not deaf, in a way it motivates you to become a better person and learn new things. You definitely develop, a strong tolerance for others crap, more considerable then many many others. And you learn to release those minor frustrations, on more constructive things most of the day. Even though nobody is perfect. WINK! (sometimes you just have to give a little back to the community that gives so much to you. BIG WINK!)
As for me though and my relationship with my son?. It's great! I would do anything for him and love every moment with him. Even though it gets a little rough sometimes. We all have our little issues to deal with sometimes or even everyday but we learn to move forward and just live like it's the last as much as possible. And just like any other parent, I look forward to seeing him in the morning and seeing him learn the new thing for the day. It's great being a dad and i cant say i have any regrets at all in my decision in having him. I wish life was easier sometimes for both of us on many different levels, but that's life. You just gotta role with the punches and deal with the shiz as it comes. Having cojones the size of grapefruit also helps sometimes to.
I hope some of this helps someone and they actually read it. I definitely don't want it to sound like a horrible thing because being a parent never is, but with the above stated just some stuff to think about and consider it does get a bit difficult a little more so, sometimes but just stay strong your love for your child will help you when you need it. And remember the cajones! Yes big cajones!

Well Since this is a good subject and i can speak the honest truth about this subject, I will. And im going to be really really honest about this. Because i see that in google there is not allot for parents to relate to, when i type this in to google search. And this comes up at the top or nearly the top.
First off, deaf children are just like any other child out there, they want and need the same things, any other child needs and wants. They can be come frustrated when tired, get happy to see a cool movie, love mickey mouse and love to play with and be accepted by other children among all other facets of just being a normal kid. And being the parent of a child that is deaf neurologically, i can say this with some first hand experience.
Most deaf children also do undergo allot of different therapy and doctor's visits also. This is allot to handle for both parent and child and can be taxing paperwork schooling, and the paper work to get in a program. Very taxing on the energy supply. There are definitely allot of activity needed for stimulation in multiple manners that deaf children require. And definitely allot of money.
With the above being stated, I would also like to add, because of the fact that deaf children are just normal kids with a slight visible minor discrepancy (Because it's not a problem it's a minor discrepancy, Get it straight). The sheltered lives, and ignorance of others, becomes very apparent seemingly, increasing by the day even, at some points. You as a parent become very aware of how poorly most men and women handle there own children, and the absurd tactics that most people attempt to use on there own children. And you begin to have a clearer perception of how screwed up the majority of the general population is and can be.
It becomes hard at points, to deal with adults mainly. Not so much the kids or your child. It becomes hard because like i have stated above, most people live sheltered lives, and never experience the trials and tribulations of this minor discrepancy, as a parent, or them selves. Much like any other minor discrepancy. People are unwilling mostly to accept the obvious or remain in denial to deny being uneducated about this particular subject matter. Adults can become very nasty and disgustingly rude. People in general but mainly adults, don't realize how being deaf can stem hyper activity, because of only so much info being absorbed if at all threw the auditory. Or how frustrating it can become, to not know if someone understands you especially as a infant or toddler. you have to think and be extra patient to a child needs when this is the case. It can be very frustrating for a child when they are thinking one thing and meaning another and not be able to vocalize it and can see you and no one else immediately understand.
Many adults have no clue of different levels of deafness, and only think cant hear anything. They don't realize how it must be for a child to hear things that sound like static, and reverb threw a broken microphone, hooked up to a bad amplifier. Many adults see children that scream, and get very anxious, in a department store, or grocery store or similar setting and assume, it's just another brat with a parent that doesn't punish them correctly. Because most people are hardons. And they stick thee upper lip in the air, make rude comments, start to make insults to the parent, and taunt the child. The adults will gang up on you at points, and band wagon. They will say things like, that's not our problem to deal with. They will expect you to leave or feel ashamed of your child doing this , unknowing that to the child this is allot of static reverb and overwhelming frustration to absorb, being as strong as they can as children, to last as long as possible, without acting out, with the hyper activity or attention span issue they may deal with. The children aren't blind most of the time either and when your emotions are in a overwhelming state adults staring and pointing at you as a small child upset is pretty frustrating to be put through constantly.
People are sick , and maybe one day I my self will get a clear sign and green light to throw a foot up a butt wipes BigAdoodle doodle, but it's not all negative what so ever, other then from the ignorant majority that you have to be strong enough to stand tall and stick up to. I't everything you look forward to in being a parent. Outbursts do come a little more frequently from my experience and there is allot more study for speech and such since people assume that a few words means the child is not deaf, in a way it motivates you to become a better person and learn new things. You definitely develop, a strong tolerance for others crap, more considerable then many many others. And you learn to release those minor frustrations, on more constructive things most of the day. Even though nobody is perfect. WINK! (sometimes you just have to give a little back to the community that gives so much to you. BIG WINK!)
As for me though and my relationship with my son?. It's great! I would do anything for him and love every moment with him. Even though it gets a little rough sometimes. We all have our little issues to deal with sometimes or even everyday but we learn to move forward and just live like it's the last as much as possible. And just like any other parent, I look forward to seeing him in the morning and seeing him learn the new thing for the day. It's great being a dad and i cant say i have any regrets at all in my decision in having him. I wish life was easier sometimes for both of us on many different levels, but that's life. You just gotta role with the punches and deal with the shiz as it comes. Having cojones the size of grapefruit also helps sometimes to.
I hope some of this helps someone and they actually read it. I definitely don't want it to sound like a horrible thing because being a parent never is, but with the above stated just some stuff to think about and consider it does get a bit difficult a little more so, sometimes but just stay strong your love for your child will help you when you need it. And remember the cajones! Yes big cajones!

Why bring up this eight year old thread? Introduce yourself in the right place.

And even people with good vision have trouble reading a solid wall of type.

Break for paragraphs if you want readers.

Plus it always makes me uncomfortable as a deaf person to read about heroic parents of deaf kids...

Why bring up this eight year old thread? Introduce yourself in the right place.

And even people with good vision have trouble reading a solid wall of type.

Break for paragraphs if you want readers.

Plus it always makes me uncomfortable as a deaf person to read about heroic parents of deaf kids...

Yeah i agree. I think op may not come back ... Op made one post. Eh.

Back