What's inside the implant?

stampinhand

Reaction score
I was curios is the implant itself just metal or does it have a magnet in it? I thought the outside processor has the magnet. My husband n I are having an argument over this one.

Sent from my iPhone

There is a magnet in your head that the outside magnet attaches to.

Here is an illustration of a CI internal processor like the one I currently use (Advanced Bionics HiRes 90k).

1348089801665.jpg

I was curios is the implant itself just metal or does it have a magnet in it? I thought the outside processor has the magnet. My husband n I are having an argument over this one.

Sent from my iPhone

There is an antenna inside with a magnet in the center. The processor magnet sticks to that magnet and the antenna sends the signal through the coil

I thought it was a magnet. My husband thought it was just metal and the magnet was on the outside. The implant is so complex it's truly amazing!

Sent from my iPhone

I thought it was a magnet. My husband thought it was just metal and the magnet was on the outside. The implant is so complex it's truly amazing!

Sent from my iPhone

Well, now you can ask your husband "if the magnet is only on the outside, how does the headpiece stick to the implant (the headpiece has a magnet in it)?"
Is is magic or is it something logical like the implant has a magnet that attracts the magnet in the headpiece?

Back in the day people had all sorts of wild misconceptions about CIs ("they cut into your brain" (that one if from Sound and Fury), "everything sounds robotic", "culturally Deaf people don't benefit at all"). But those have been dispelled.
(And to dispel any remaining rumors- the surgery happens in the mastoid bone with a small opening to the cochlea. This is in the head but not anywhere near the brain. The robotic sound is often heard at first but toes away with time and therapy. My audiologist has a patient who has been deaf as long as I have and was implanted in the same week as I was but he still cannot understand any speech with his implant. He also reports that he only wears the processor when it is programming time.

He also reports that he only wears the processor when it is programming time.

:roll: It amazes me that someone would take the step of getting an implant while choosing to be ignorant over what it takes to gain any success. You aren't going to get a nice body just by paying for gym membership.

The processor can can come in different colors, designs, or even have bling. Lol

I found out about skin-it's .com where you can get skins to cover your CI in lots of designs. It's cool!

Sent from my iPhone

Angel where did you get your skin for your CI ? I got mine from skin-it n it doesn't fit that well

Sent from my iPhone

Cochlear has their own color covers for their CIs, looks like that is what Angel is using, a cover Cochlear provided.

I have AB and I thought the skinits I ordered fit my processors quite well.

hello one of my deaf guy friend told me his mom is an idiot waste money to not work for him and hearing aid isn't work for him ether I wanna try with test first see how's work for me before ahead get surgery. mom thinks it isn't work for me but hearing aid pretty work for me. idk why if hearing aid work for me and implants maybe not work for me by the way I m deaf and my name is Anne Marie 33 yrs old lives in dead small town Roseburg. if wasn't scary and what feel like ;)

Love yours Angel!!

Sent from my iPhone

I don't wear my new processor covers very often. I have really tiny ears, wear glasses and the little extra thickness makes my ear kind of sore. If I'm going out and wearing my hair up I usually wear it.

Hi Anne: If I understand you correctly a Hearing aid gives you some "hearing". If that is correct why would you consider a Cochlear Implant?

Generally speaking-Implants are considered only if " a person's hearing aid" is of no use - "hear nothing" . Aside: that was the point I was at December 2006. Couldn't hear at 105db. I was further "tested for Implant suitably"-successfuly.

Welcome to AllDeaf.com

Hi Anne: If I understand you correctly a Hearing aid gives you some "hearing". If that is correct why would you consider a Cochlear Implant?

Generally speaking-Implants are considered only if " a person's hearing aid" is of no use - "hear nothing" . Aside: that was the point I was at December 2006. Couldn't hear at 105db. I was further "tested for Implant suitably"-successfuly.

Welcome to AllDeaf.com

You do not have to "hear nothing" to the point where there is no sound with a HA to qualify for a CI.

They are considered if a person's hearing aid is of "limited use", which by audiological standards means 50% or less of speech understood on top of hearing loss in the appropriate category (generally severe to profound, but some with moderate to profound HL are benefitting from CI's).

I posted a video of how the implant was put into your head and some people were complaining about it begin too gross. when I warned that is was gross :roll:

How do your like your implant , do people voices sound normal to you, someone said it didn't to them.

Back