whats harder to deal with

deafman6975

Reaction score
as i'v posted in the past i'm a late deaf person. and through this past year i'v had alot of different changes to deal with . though things are starting to settle. i'v had this question in my head the whole time , is it harder if your born deaf, or too loss your hearing after learning what sound is realy like and knowing english. i'm on the fence with this . not that it realy matters but , i'm just a person thats had to deal with ,,, that saying you never know what you got till its gone, and i can't get my fellow deafies that have been born deaf out of my thoughts. i think it would of had to of been exstremly difficult for you .but on the other hand . too me deaf people are a hell of alot smarter then what most people give us credit for. and to be born deaf your absolutly brilyent in my oppinion.

born deaf or later in life

I don't know about alot of people, but for me: I lost my hearing after a massive stroke, last summer, i am 38 yrs.old so being able to have some hearing almost all of my life and speech and then not being able to hear is very difficult. For me it's very hard, because communicating w'out being able to hear is extremely hard. i can still speak but alot of things don't sound right to people,so they say. i am trying to learn sign language and find out different ways to communicte. i have about 10% hearing in my right ear now. absolutely no hearing at all in the left. i was always hard of hearing since childhood, i always wore a hearing aid for right ear. my hearing level in left ear when i was a kid was fine. so, for me now it's hard but i will manage. i have the utmost respect for people. so what if i now am deaf and confined to awheelchair, atleast i have my faculties and a great family and alot of friends. life is good, besides there are people worse off then me. A fine wine is like marriage, both are best when aged well!!! :wave: :cheers: :aw: :smoking:

in my opinion i have more sympathy for people who lose their hearing when they are older.

i lost my hearing at age 4, but i was too young to remember any sounds so i consider myself as a person who has no idea what sound is.

you dont miss what you never had....but you miss what you took for granted

yes i'v thought of that as well about you don't miss what you don't have . but at the learning aspect of it . is it harder to learn sure all of our sick sence has taken over but the ability to learn things like sign . and reading lipps . i.v been reading lips almost my whole life and as most in here can agree it's hard as hell and confussing to read lipps.

i tell people all the time try getting up in the morning and start reading a book until you go to bed . lets see how you eyes feel after one day of that.

well I believe the hardest to deal with is older adults (late deafness) losing hearing than who born deaf or lose hearing at early age. Because They cant deal with what they miss and by the time people who born deaf or at early age would be used by it now. (fyi, I lost my hearing slowly while grow up by senior year i became full deaf.

Back