What's classed as bad speech discrimination?

NaidaUP

Reaction score
When is speech discrimination classed as bad, more so for profoundly deaf people.

My right ear has improved on speech discrimination from my old aids. It's 64% without noise and 50% with noise. Is that still good?

My left is 4% without noise and 0% with noise, that hasn't changed since getting new aids.

(My left hearing is worse then my right hearing)

When is speech discrimination classed as bad?

No idea! I'm interested in finding out, as I suspect that depends on the very nature of the inability to discriminate speech accurately. For instance, I can't discriminate crap with one or the other ear, but put two ears together, and viola! Magia brillante!

I have 66 in both without noise with guessing..I have no idea what it is in noise tho...prob WAY worse ..as soon as I hear a bit of noise I can't get what is being said

I haven't had a soundfield test with my Naidas but my speech scores at 95-100dB were 42% in my right and 50% in my left. That was before I had a major drop in hearing in my left ear.
I was told that I have excellent speech scores. I tried to point out that it is one thing to understand 50% in a noise proof booth but an entirely different thing to understand anything in real life.

I have an appointment with a new audiologist tomorrow (I just moved cities) and I'm definitely going to ask for a soundfield test and speech in noise.

not many audis get that the real world and a booth are not even remotely the same...it's really annoying

See I find if I don't wear my left HA, my right picks up much much less even tho my left picks up basically nothing!

When I use my compilot or FM system, I feel like I'm only hearing with my right side, very annoying.

Will be interesting what yours are ecp.

Totally agree that the booth is very unnatural to the outside world :/

I haven't had a soundfield test with my Naidas but my speech scores at 95-100dB were 42% in my right and 50% in my left. That was before I had a major drop in hearing in my left ear.
I was told that I have excellent speech scores. I tried to point out that it is one thing to understand 50% in a noise proof booth but an entirely different thing to understand anything in real life.

I have an appointment with a new audiologist tomorrow (I just moved cities) and I'm definitely going to ask for a soundfield test and speech in noise.

I am shocked that they believe your speech scores are excellent. Must mean my right is extremely good!

In one case you're missing 40% of the words and in the other case you are missing half. Would you consider that to be good?

In one case you're missing 40% of the words and in the other case you are missing half. Would you consider that to be good?

No but no hearing aids replace normal hearing so its hard to say

Well let me put it to you this way. My speech comprehension in both ears is lower 40%. This means I know i have problems comprehending what is being said. I can tell. And in a noisy environment forget it. What scares me is when I think I know whats going on only to realize later that I completely misunderstood the entire conversation. Sadly a lot of people think that's funny. So if your in the 60% range I would say that's pretty poor. Probably much worse then you yourself think it is. Ask a friend how well he thinks you understand what's being said. His answer may surprise you. When it comes to hearing loss those with normal hearing can be quite cruel with their comments or remarks. Like you said hearing aids don't really fix this. As a matter of fact the amplification may make it worse. But 60% is pretty bad but look on the bright side. It could be 40%

I am completely deaf but recently received a CI in my left ear. I can hear fairly well when it is just me and my hubby and it is quiet. In the booth I still get 0% speech recognition. They speak way too fast for me. My brain can't quite get it yet. I am curious if a lot of people fail in the booth, it isn't natural hearing, right? I still have a lot of work to do with my CI and maybe I will get there one day.

Well let me put it to you this way. My speech comprehension in both ears is lower 40%. This means I know i have problems comprehending what is being said. I can tell. And in a noisy environment forget it. What scares me is when I think I know whats going on only to realize later that I completely misunderstood the entire conversation. Sadly a lot of people think that's funny. So if your in the 60% range I would say that's pretty poor. Probably much worse then you yourself think it is. Ask a friend how well he thinks you understand what's being said. His answer may surprise you. When it comes to hearing loss those with normal hearing can be quite cruel with their comments or remarks. Like you said hearing aids don't really fix this. As a matter of fact the amplification may make it worse. But 60% is pretty bad but look on the bright side. It could be 40%

My right ear is 60% but my left is 4% without noise. That's pretty bad I believe.

My friends mum actually asked me a few weeks ago why don't I have a CI as she believes I struggle a lot.

What I'm confused about is yes I do struggle but no hearing aids bring back normal hearing even with a moderate loss people still struggle so I thought my struggles were normal :)

I am completely deaf but recently received a CI in my left ear. I can hear fairly well when it is just me and my hubby and it is quiet. In the booth I still get 0% speech recognition. They speak way too fast for me. My brain can't quite get it yet. I am curious if a lot of people fail in the booth, it isn't natural hearing, right? I still have a lot of work to do with my CI and maybe I will get there one day.

A teenager that comes to the deaf centre (I'm a leader there) is having the same problem as you at the moment. She is roughly 4 months post implant and still can't understand anything. She is hoping that she will get there one day. She wasn't born deaf so hopefully she has an advantage.

A teenager that comes to the deaf centre (I'm a leader there) is having the same problem as you at the moment. She is roughly 4 months post implant and still can't understand anything. She is hoping that she will get there one day. She wasn't born deaf so hopefully she has an advantage.

It has been about 4 months since my CI was activated too. I can't complain because I can hear. The booth is where I have all the trouble.

It has been about 4 months since my CI was activated too. I can't complain because I can hear. The booth is where I have all the trouble.

She in general is having problems, all round. She can hear awareness sounds which is good as she had the Naida UPs and couldn't hear a thing with the UPs so she is greatful to be able to hear some things.

I'm sure you will get there. You should maybe make a list if what words you can hear from a family member maybe?

Hope things keep improving :)

Mine with aids is around 32 to 44% speech discrimination. Without? forget it.

Back