What's a difference between deaf and hard-of-hearing?

Yeah bit of an oxymoron there huh? Hard of hearing means you hear well.......huh say what? Just let that thought roll around in your brain for a second lol. Just a bad choice of words. He must have meant hear well enough with hearing aids to talk on the phone?
I don't think I'd actually want to define it that distinctly. I mean is there really some definitive line in between being hard of hearing and being deaf? Is it just based on speech discrimination? I think it also depends on the individual. Personally I use use both terms, I may tell someone I'm really hard of hearing (I always used the really) or I may say I'm deaf. Meh you say tomato I say tomahto ;)

I hope that is what they meant . HA can not fix everything , if you have poor
speech discrimination like I do , the most powerful HA is not going help me understand every word being said to me on the phone. I have a very powerful telephone and I still have to wear my HA . My phone has a warning on it , I have to let people to be careful using it.

What did you do in the Deaf Community or Deaf event when you sign with Deaf people there? Did you talk loudly while signing which you were suppose to use voice off? Why did the Deaf signers reject you, not because you were too much like hearing? The Hard of Hearing (HOH) are accepted into the Deaf Community or going to the Deaf event as long as you use ASL. They should not have reject you if you sign. Or maybe you were signing SEE or PSE which could be indicated that they don't want you to sign SEE just ASL.

I am as much in puzzling as CrazyPaul, too. It does not make sense. So can you clarify what happened that make you not be a member of the Deaf community or going to the Deaf events. :hmm:

I signed ASL voice off.
I think the problem was that I was the ONLY new person at the event. Everybody else seemed to have known each other for years. I was also the youngest by 10-15 years (I was 24).

I signed ASL voice off.
I think the problem was that I was the ONLY new person at the event. Everybody else seemed to have known each other for years. I was also the youngest by 10-15 years (I was 24).
So you were a new face and youngest person at that place. Since no one there knows you, you would have to introduce yourself to them and if they still don't welcome you, fuck them. It's not the only place where some new deaf people are not welcome. However , please remember that it doesn't mean that the Deaf world won't accept you.

What about your fiance? Is he deaf, too?

So you were a new face and youngest person at that place. Since no one there knows you, you would have to introduce yourself to them and if they still don't welcome you, fuck them. It's not the only place where some new deaf people are not welcome. However , please remember that it doesn't mean that the Deaf world won't accept you.

What about your fiance? Is he deaf, too?

My fiancé is hearing. He is learning ASL. We met 8 years ago in college. He is an amazing singer with a deep bass voice (which is nice because I only have hearing in low frequencies). I love hearing (usually by putting my ear on his chest) or feeling him sing.

Yea it's very confusing. I called myself hearing impaired. I've socializes with deaf people and also hearing people. Therefore I can be fixed into both worlds. When I said I'm deaf, someone complain complain that I do hear some and have good speech. When I said I'm hard of hearing, someone complain that I didn't hear high pitch or catch words. Oh geeesh ... just say I'm hearing impaired and that's it. I'm just an old fashioned lady.
When I was young I was told to call myself "half deaf." In the 1980's I was told to call myself "hearing impaired." Two years ago I was told to call myself "Hard of Hearing" because hearing impaired has negative implications for the Deaf that they are impaired in some way. I sure do get worn out with all the PC name changes. :hmm:

I guess I am HoH (under today's guidelines) because I have moderate to severe loss in my one functional ear and get by with lip reading to augment sound. I am attempting to integrate with the larger Deaf Community though.

When I was young I was told to call myself "half deaf." In the 1980's I was told to call myself "hearing impaired." Two years ago I was told to call myself "Hard of Hearing" because hearing impaired has negative implications for the Deaf that they are impaired in some way. I sure do get worn out with all the PC name changes. :hmm:

I guess I am HoH (under today's guidelines) because I have moderate to severe loss in my one functional ear and get by with lip reading to augment sound. I am attempting to integrate with the larger Deaf Community though.

When describing myself to hearing people I just say, "I'm deaf but have progressive hearing loss so I speak well" though in a hurry I just say I'm hearing impaired.
Hard of hearing has so many connotations of old age for me. So many people tell me, "oh my grandma is hard of hearing". I'm in my 20's! I am NOT your 80 year old grandparent!
Regarding the "impaired" part of hearing impaired, um...my hearing is bad. Thus it is impaired. People with low vision are allowed to just say that they are visually impaired without judgement by their peers.
Why do we feel the need to divide ourselves?

a few of the most prolific members of AllDeaf have conductive hearing loss or single sided deafness. Does that make them less worthy as a deaf person? We could all whip out our audiograms and compare losses but that doesn't give an accurate measure of identity.
And people with profound loss from birth who were raised orally are just as fucking deaf as everybody else with profound loss or severe loss with distortion.

hello dear,
How are you doing, i browsed through your profile and i would like to be friends with you.Im widowed and i have a 6 year old daughter.My wife passed on 4 years ago and i havent been in any relationship since then,i think its time for me to move on with my life now.I am looking for a serious relationship, heres my email mrshaver@yahoo.com
i look forward to hear from you.

You need to go to the Single Thread or Parent thread which was almost close to the bottom of the forum. You just have to look for them. You are in the wrong thread here. We were talking about different subject which is not related to Single at all. Welcome. :)

I know from my most hard of hearing friends.

Hard of hearings = you can hear well and can phone but you can hear only one person, not 2nd person... You get confused when 2 persons speak you on the same time. Talk to one person is okay or hear one sound - not 2nd sounds... Interesting...

Not quite true...I use the phone when I'm forced. Depending on the speaker, I might hear them fine or I may not. Often I don't which is why when I'm calling the insurance company, I use the speaker phone so my parents can listen in. I can hear more than one person talking fine, but like average hearing people, neither makes sense until one of them allows the other to finish their sentence without interrupting. I don't know anyone that can understand two people talking at the same time with complete clarity.

At my new employer, we have an intercom that relays messages in the building. While sometimes I hear the announcements, I often have no idea what's being said and wouldn't know if someone was trying to "page" me that way.

Being hearing impaired means that you hear - but with limited understanding. For example, I hear that the TV is on when I enter a room, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what was being said until you turn up the volume. Unless I know the set is on, which I may not for some time, I basically just hear mumbling when the volume is set low. During my daily interaction with people, I hear with understanding about 50% of what is said to me; the other 50%, I'm guessing what I've been told.

Laura

You need to go to the Single Thread or Parent thread which was almost close to the bottom of the forum. You just have to look for them. You are in the wrong thread here. We were talking about different subject which is not related to Single at all. Welcome. :)
Sounds like one of those scammer letters you see on dating sites... just sayin...

Back