What was the last movie you watched?

Okay, I'll take my original post that Nitro Circus has no CC/subtitle.

I checked the Redbox, it showed that they only offer Nitro Circus on DVD format, not BluRay. I was puzzled and then I checked at Netflix - it appeared they only offer DVD format. So, I looked in my Netflix envelope and it turned out I have DVD format, not BR format :roll:. And then I inserted it to my DVD player (not BR player as before) and it showed Closed Caption.

Before you laugh at me – I have not rented any DVD format disc for LONG time and it’s habit I put Netflix rentals in my BR. OK, now go ahead and laugh at me. :P
No problem, I am curious what CC looks like. Netflix's own CC like the ones on Netflix streaming movies or studio's CC like the ones on purchased movies?

Studio's CC like the ones on purchased movies. The disc look like you buy at store.

what i did, i hardly ever buy dvds, but when i do, (which is rare), i go to the fans forom and read up complaints and whats formats they used other places, and esp important to do this when its from a small studios...as they dont have alot of $$ to do work to add subtitles...to and also from european translaters from forieng to English, tends to get dumb downed or degraded so bad its actually changes the story, then as i reseatch bit mroe id find out which is the exact copy i want, and i get it from Amazon, much less hassles..or go o some independent 'rare dvd' sites and ask them...

How do you know it's Netflix that made some changes in subtitle?

I have seen it with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on DVD with CC. I left subtitle running along with CC and noticed the difference. I bought it at store.

One thing I learned about conversation with my Spanish speaking co-workers - our idiom or figure of speech are hard to translate into different language. They don’t understand the meaning of our idiom/figure of speech and I had to explain to them. Mr. Baseball movie had one good example:

Jack Elliot: C'mon, it ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Yoji Nishimura, Jack's Interpreter: [subtitle as he translates to the team] When the game is over, a fat lady will sing to us!

The link above is possible a case of bad translation or trying to make it easier to American to understand. Foreign countries did same thing with translation from American movies into their language that are bit different from our original dialogs. I think they shouldn’t do that.

The differences in subtitles as opposed to captions are obvious. Most Chinese/Cantonese have words or expressions not used in English so sometimes the results at translating are unintentionally funny. I don't often see good transations into Italian which is why I get the Italian language films with subtitles from Amazon Italy....and my Hong Kong films in Cantonese with English subtitles from YesAsia.com. No transation is going to be word for word accurate. The only reason I stay with Netflix is aside from being cheap, it has a larger variety of foreign films.

Laura

The differences in subtitles as opposed to captions are obvious. Most Chinese/Cantonese have words or expressions not used in English so sometimes the results at translating are unintentionally funny. I don't often see good transations into Italian which is why I get the Italian language films with subtitles from Amazon Italy....and my Hong Kong films in Cantonese with English subtitles from YesAsia.com. No transation is going to be word for word accurate. The only reason I stay with Netflix is aside from being cheap, it has a larger variety of foreign films.

Laura

Yeah, I remember an interview with Jackie Chan about Rush Hour 2, he said something he don't know if it's funny and he was surprised American people found it funny. I guess it all depends on culture.

here those links i was talking about.
interesting comparison and it shows why picking the cheap way goes bad...

other ways of going bad is 'recycle' the dvd covers but inside, the dvd aren the same, its not pirated just shoddy packaging.

Icons of Fright News and Updates: UPDATED: Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!

The ‘Let The Right One In’ Subtitles Scandal

Subtitle Comparison
I agree that original English subtitles in foreign films should be untouched.

Watched 'It's A Wonderful Life' with my kids. Even though it's in black & white, lacks CGI, and there's no action or explosions - my kids loved it. Goes to show that if you have a good story with characters you can root for, then you don't need fancy 3D glasses to grip the minds of our youngsters.

LOOPER Joshua looks so UGLY!
I saw the movie but who the fuck is Joshua? Do you mean Joseph Gordon-Levitt? If so, oh, it was a make-up so he would look like a young Bruce Willis. BTW, I think that the movie was weird but okay since Bruce was in it.

I also saw Premium Rush that Joseph played in. It was very good.

tongues and toy
babysitter's diary
snow white and the seven dwarves

I just bought a Korean action film, which is a favorite of mine and highly recommend, A Bittersweet Life. Really great action and wonderful story. Well acted too....

Laura

Superheroes- the documentary.
lol pretty crazy its real...worth watching but dont expect hollywood there

'No time for sergeants' with Andy Griffith on TV last night and it was on public TV so there where no commercials breaks. and there was CC!

Skyfall, real boring, liked it in the beginning but it just went flat and drawn out after the first hour...nah didnt like it much

The Hobbit , ok ...better than Skyfall by a mile, but not spectcular, still above average though

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQyJcT7T7nY]Superheroes (2011) Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Back