What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

The hearing world has plenty of drama. A certain proportion of people love the drama and they can't live without it. I haven't observed any more drama in the Deaf community than I experienced in the hearing world.

Sometimes I think that the Deaf community has less drama because people are more blunt and upfront. People tease each other more in the Deaf community. I think that it's because it's a small group in which people become like family. I always try to avoid drama where ever I am.

Correct. There are those that intentionally create crisis in their lives (drama as well) to get that intense feeling that goes with it all. It is also used as a tactic for taking the focus off of them when they are no doubt doing something that would not be accepted and cause drama in it's own right.

what did you do when a hearing person talk to you? you just nodded and let him talk?

Have done that a million times. If they looked positive, I nodded. If they looked unhappy, I shook my head. With the occasional sprinkling of "oh yeah?" and "is that so?" and "uh huh."

When I was 15 and visiting my dad who was working in Tunisia, North Africa, he had a dinner party. Important MPs and diplomats were there. The MP spoke to me for the entire dinner in French. Tunisia is francophone. All I said was "ah, oui?", "c'est mal", "c'est bon!", "vraiment?" and "d'accord."

I had no freaking clue what he said. I just studied his face and body language and responded accordingly.

The MP went up to my dad after the dinner and said "your daughter is a WONDERFUL conversationalist."

Hearies think they own the world ..

Hearies think we don't deserve special requirements. When ignorant hearies say that makes them look :shock:

Wirelessly posted

DeafCaroline said:
what did you do when a hearing person talk to you? you just nodded and let him talk?

Have done that a million times. If they looked positive, I nodded. If they looked unhappy, I shook my head. With the occasional sprinkling of "oh yeah?" and "is that so?" and "uh huh."

When I was 15 and visiting my dad who was working in Tunisia, North Africa, he had a dinner party. Important MPs and diplomats were there. The MP spoke to me for the entire dinner in French. Tunisia is francophone. All I said was "ah, oui?", "c'est mal", "c'est bon!", "vraiment?" and "d'accord."

I had no freaking clue what he said. I just studied his face and body language and responded accordingly.

The MP went up to my dad after the dinner and said "your daughter is a WONDERFUL conversationalist."

Yes I have done that on many occasions and have often had people believing I understood many languages. :lol:

hahaha! same here! I did this at work today actually when BOTH my hearing aid batteries went dead. I couldn't find any new ones and just told my coworker I didn't have my hearing aids in...however, she's under the assumption I can lip read everything she says :giggle: er, no. So instead of being rude to her I just nodded my head, said oh, really, uh huh and wow. I could tell what she was kind of talking about based on her facial expressions and body language and she had no idea I was faking it.

:naughty:

My Deaf son used to have a t-shirt that said, "I'm not Deaf...I'm just ignoring you.":giggle:

I remember I wanted a shirt like that. I told my dad that I wanted a shirt that said I'm not deaf .. I'm just ignoring you but he misunderstood me and kept trying to tell me it should be ignorant. I kept telling him NO, NO NO that is not what I meant.

We went to a t store and my dad said he was sure had understood me. I gave him a skeptical look. When the shirt was printed, I had to have the words changed becuase it said I am not ignorant but I am deaf. I was furious. I made them change the words to exactly the way I wanted. :pissed:

Oh!! About yesterday I was on my VP making the calls to a couple of different Keys & Locksmith places in my town by thru relay. The first one of the calls picked it up and answering and heard the VRS relay interpreter explaining the VRS relay, I started to say "hello, I'm new customer and just asking about (keys)..." before the caller cut it off and hung up on me so fast. I was really pissed off and tried to make the other call of the 2nd place by VRS relay and someone picked up and heard the relay explanation and told "no, I'm not interested in soliciting (or selling?)" I immediately made a blunt to the VRS relay interpreter that I said "DON'T EVER MAKE AN ANNOUCEMENT OF VRS RELAY TO HEARING PEOPLE OR THEY WILL KEEP HANGING UP OR DISCONNECTED!!! SEE WHAT YOU DID MAKE THEM TO DISCRIMINATE ON DEAF PEOPLE!!! REDIAL THAT DAMN NUMBER NOW, PLEASE! WITHOUT INFORMING THE CALLER ABOUT RELAY STUFF! THANK YOU!" VRS operator redialed and i made a quick question about the place do the copying the keys for spare key and the 2nd caller finally said yes and gave me information of the schedule hours and hung up so fast. It was unfuckingbelievable..i thought VP relay is better off than TTY relay....boy, i was so wrong!!

I remember I wanted a shirt like that. I told my dad that I wanted a shirt that said I'm not deaf .. I'm just ignoring you but he misunderstood me and kept trying to tell me it should be ignorant. I kept telling him NO, NO NO that is not what I meant.

We went to a t store and my dad said he was sure had understood me. I gave him a skeptical look. When the shirt was printed, I had to have the words changed becuase it said I am not ignorant but I am deaf. I was furious. I made them change the words to exactly the way I wanted. :pissed:

I don't blame you. The way it was worded was downright insulting!

You made me laugh! I do empathize but that was really funny.

Right this minute what irritates me about hearies is the way some say one thing but do another, and can't even see their own hypocrisy.

Today, just in the small world that is AD, the way many dash in and announce they want a deaf/hoh friend or date. Sort of like picking up a hamster at the pet store.

I bet they would notice that's really odd if they had the courage to go into a local deaf center or club in their own towns.

Today, just in the small world that is AD, the way many dash in and announce they want a deaf/hoh friend or date. Sort of like picking up a hamster at the pet store.

I bet they would notice that's really odd if they had the courage to go into a local deaf center or club in their own towns.
:hmm: I hadn't thought about it this way. I must've been a pet hamster in a past life. :P

I'm not a cute hamster. I bite. :D

I don't like when P E O P L E T A L K L I K E T H I S. The slower you go, the harder you are to understand. And I like it even less when they look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them that.

Back