What role does music play in your life?

Music is a big big part of my life. Absolutely love it. There was a time when I could not enjoy music....That was rough

Wirelessly posted

I also enjoy music. I played the viola in 6th grade. My son currently plays the oboe. I enjoy going to his concerts. I enjoy listening to variety of music from classical to country music.

Music is a big big part of my life. Absolutely love it. There was a time when I could not enjoy music....That was rough

I can only sympathize with you. I can't imagine what the loss would be like. BTW, do you wear a hearing aid at all. For some reason I thought you have a CI or was thinking of getting one?

Music is big in mine but it's mostly nowadays me playing the piano and enjoying myself. The rest I listen to on the radio are mostly the news talk shows even though I have several cassette tapes in my truck with me should I get tired of the talk shows.

Music has always been a big part of my life ever since I was little. I'm profoundly deaf but I do wear aids. I would always watch MTV on tv back in the 80s, as I lay on my back on the floor with one foot resting against the tv speaker so I can feel the tunes or bass. I can hear some of the tunes, but was always hard to hear the beats or bass tones. So while my foot feels the beats, I would hear the tones, they blend in very nicely. Didn't have a stereo system setup back then so the whole room would vibrate. But do have that now. Lol. Gotta have at least one subwoofer in the back of the car cuz I go nuts without any tunes while driving, it's relaxing. Of course, the only thing I really miss out on from music is the lyrics. Sometimes would memorize some lyrics in some songs and try to follow through by playing it over and over. I listen to pretty much any kinds of music, if I like the tones and beats.

There's another saying I found from somewhere.
"Music speaks when words fail"

I grew up playing music since I was about 7-8 years old. I started playing the piano first, and then i started playing percussion in the 6th grade (middle school), and i continued playing percussion all through out my middle school and high school career. I played, mainly, the marimba in the Centerville Jazz Band for 3 1/2 years. I played the vibraphone my first season, freshman year in high school and i started playing the marimba in winter 'A' Drumline my freshman year and it stayed that way. I had gotten an opportunity to participate in the Centerville 'World' Drumline for the rest of my high school career. It's been a long journey, but I made it :) I stopped playing the piano during my freshman year because with my marching band schedule and my drumlin schedule, it was too much, so i had to give up piano but I still continued my love for music. Plus, i have gotten interviews by our biggest competitions such as WGI (Winter Guard International) and BOA (Bands Of America). I'm also involved with a drumlin documentary called Rhythm Generation. It's suppose to come out but they have been having problems with the music rights, so hopefully it'll come out soon! But even though I'm Deaf, with two CI's, nothing can really stop me from playing music. I mean, even though I'm "retired" from being in the Marching band and Drumline, music is my escape from reality, and without it, i would go insane and i wouldn't know what to do with myself. If i didn't take up piano or did the centerville band program, I would've been sitting my lazy butt at home doing nothing of myself. :lol:

Music... used to be my best friend. I used to play a lot of different instruments, mainly the alto saxophone, clarinet, piano, guitar, and etc. That was when I was HOH. I was in concert, marching, and jazz bands. I used music as an escape. I used to write and arrange musical pieces, but I don't anymore.

Now, I am deaf. (Around a mod. severe/severe loss in one ear, and a severe-to-profound loss in the other ear, as of my last audiogram a few weeks ago.) I kind of have a weird relationship with music right now. I'm not sure where I stand. I got my clarinet out today, and I was playing a few songs. What I could hear of the clarinet was not what I used to be able to hear. It wasn't the same. But I was surprised that I could hear it somewhat - though I had to play very loudly and concentrate hard. My alto sax is in the attic, so I would have to root around to find it. I haven't tried the piano yet. I can play guitar, but I cannot hear it. (Acoustic guitar, btw.) I don't enjoy playing the guitar anymore. Clarinet, I kind of do, but it's not the same. Alto sax I might enjoy, same with piano. I don't know. I'll have to try them again and see for myself.

What is my relationship with music? I don't know. I tend to go through phases. Sometimes I like it, other times I hate it and want nothing to do with it. Can't exactly say that I LOVE it, or that I live for it anymore. I have other things to live for. It's just a nice little background thing in my life, I suppose. I play and enjoy music sometimes, and other times I run in the other direction.

I can kind of relate to you! I don't play a wind or a brass instrument, or a guitar. I play percussion. But my advice to play music, is to feel the flow of the music. Get a metronome, feel the pulse of the beat, and get a groove going and just start playing. Because once you start, you can't stop because you're in the mood :lol: But I just basically try and find my tempo by feeling the beat of the drum's vibration on the floor, sometimes in practice i'll kick my shoes off or not and feel the pulse. My pit tech always have me be in front of the drum set when i'm in marching band or in drumline to help me keep in tempo. So basically, the drum set is my conductor haha. When I play, I watch my hands because First of all, we all know that we are deaf, and we can't really rely on our ears to see if we're at the right pitch or if we're playing the right notes. This is where my eyes come in, I use my eyes to watch what notes i'm playing. And when you use your eyes, your hand/fingers will have muscle memorization. So, when you play, it'll be like a piece of cake. It just takes a lot of practice. You can also use your metronome as a pitch, because on the met it has all the notes in there so you can play to see if you're on the right note for you, and it can become your ear. So that's another thing! i hope it helps! :)

I am classically trained as a percussionist and a bass guitar player, and today, I play the drum set and am learning to play the didgeridoo as an addition to my drumming.

I love to listen to music as well, and I have a diverse range of music interest. I like rock, classic and modern, even some Indian rock music from India and Asia.

I am classically trained as a percussionist and a bass guitar player, and today, I play the drum set and am learning to play the didgeridoo as an addition to my drumming.

I love to listen to music as well, and I have a diverse range of music interest. I like rock, classic and modern, even some Indian rock music from India and Asia.

YES! finally! i'm not the only deaf percussionist around here! :giggle:

I can only sympathize with you. I can't imagine what the loss would be like. BTW, do you wear a hearing aid at all. For some reason I thought you have a CI or was thinking of getting one?

Music is big in mine but it's mostly nowadays me playing the piano and enjoying myself. The rest I listen to on the radio are mostly the news talk shows even though I have several cassette tapes in my truck with me should I get tired of the talk shows.

I have an HA. I plan to get a CI..... I've just haven't gotten around to it yet although I have started the process. Like Rush I can still enjoy songs I am familiar with. Some days I hear them quite well.

Back