What is the best format to caption videos in?

schang

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working for a university that is currently trying to subtitle/caption all of their videos. Right now I'm trying to find out what is the best way to caption videos, and which format (flash, quicktime, real, avi) is popular by deaf/hoh viewers.

Any advice? What are the pros/cons of using certain software, such as Final Cut Pro vs Adobe Flash CS3? And if some video formats (.flv, .mov, .mp4, .avi) are preferred, why? I'd really appreciate your feedback to help us understand the needs and preferences of deaf/hoh users.

Since you mention Final Cut Pro, I assume you have a Mac to work with, I would recommend using something like Fluffalope Factory - Miyu which is a free subtitling application. It will create subtitle files that you can send with the video file (ie. .srt file) or combine with the video file in certain formats. You can even use it to subtitle Youtube videos now that Youtube allows you to upload .srt files with your video.

I'm a big fan of closed caption vs open caption since it not intrusive to users that don't need/want it, and preserves the video without words if you find another use for it.

Back