What is Deaf?

GenghisJohn

Reaction score
I've been struggling if I was going to ask this or not...when I ask: "what is "deaf" it just seems silly, you know?

Here's why I'm asking. I've been reading quite a few posts here and I've noticed a fair few people refer to themselves as Deaf/deaf and yet, they have some hearing.

Now, I understand that deaf and stone deaf are two entirely different things, but when does one go from HH to Deaf?

I am -90 in my right and -71 in my left (or 70...I forget because I'm an idiot), and I've seen people who's hearing was better than that and still consider themselves deaf.

I'm curious if perhaps they mean culturally?

I'm just curious where the term starts.

The reason I finally decided to ask is, I am completely ignorant of Deaf Culture. I know virtually nothing, except what I've been told or read here, so I feel a bit....well....dumb for it. I don't know what is impolite or shouldn't be asked or what's even offensive.

Case in point:

Just the other day I was describing myself and used the phrase "hearing impaired". I thought nothing of it and was saying that that was how I prefer to describe myself to new people. Well, I later learned that, apparently that phrase is offensive. I had no idea!

If I AM deaf, then I would like learn about my new culture and of course language by learning ASL properly. (not right now though, I've too much going on currently to do so)

So....thoughts?

I won't say much cause others can come first but one thing - I've had some various Deaf teachers and one of my more recent ones said that "hearing impaired" term was like 'n' word for her. I get that.
Common "sore point" in the community in the U.S.

Sort answer is: "Deaf" is cultural, "deaf" is audiological.

I won't say much cause others can come first but one thing - I've had some various Deaf teachers and one of my more recent ones said that "hearing impaired" term was like 'n' word for her. I get that.
Common "sore point" in the community in the U.S.

Comparing "hearing impaired" to "n" word. Really? It's not offensive word, but calling deaf people "dummy", "dummy-mute", "mute", something like that are considered similar with "n" word.

I'm relying this person's experience.
Most if not all of the Deaf people I've met find "hearing impaired" variably offensive.

I think "hearing impaired" is a political correctness that has become allowed.
The n-word is much more "charged" in general because of historical differences and the degree of importance in the U.S placed on the concept of "race".

Basically the big D means you use ASL. I'm deaf, audio logically, profound in one ear profound to no response in the other, but I'm not Deaf because I don't use ASL or involved with the Deaf community.

I say use whatever description you want, whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't let other dictate how you identify yourself. If they don't like it, that's not your problem.

Perfectly sound advice madam.

It reminds me of chapter 9 of the Tao te Ching:

"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner." ~ Lao Tzu

Excellent quote!!! If I actually found hearing impairment or hearing disability insulting I'd quote Tyrion Lanaster

"Never forget what you are. The rest if the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you".

I think a lot of the gap you find here in the difference of opinion probably boils down to childhood, and when you the hearing loss occurred. I lost it in my 20's, so feelings if inadequacy, not fitting in or measuring up, trying and failing etc etc etc never became part of my psyche. It's not something that hurts me it's something that happened to me. It's different, so I have different feelings about it.

And I didn't go to a Deaf school or grow up involved in Deaf culture with people telling me that it's insulting. That makes a difference as well.

Excellent quote!!! If I actually found hearing impairment or hearing disability insulting I'd quote Tyrion Lanaster
"Never forget what you are. The rest if the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you".
I REALLY like that...a lot. I haven't googled yet, was he a philosopher? What period is he from? If he has books Ima download em.

I think a lot of the gap you find here in the difference of opinion probably boils down to childhood, and when you the hearing loss occurred. I lost it in my 20's, so feelings if inadequacy, not fitting in or measuring up, trying and failing etc etc etc never became part of my psyche. It's not something that hurts me it's something that happened to me. It's different, so I have different feelings about it.
I know exactly what you mean. I've spent my whole life trying to fit in...the best way I can describe to friends what it's like is telling them:

Imagine you're at a party, a huge party, everyone you know is there, there's food, drink, laughter, someone is in the corner crying, someone fighting a lamp...all sorts of stuff going on. And then there's me. On the outside looking into the window. Sure, once in a while someone will look and glance at me...offer a sympathetic smile and pantomime "eating" or "drinking"...but then they go back to the party.

Being deaf, to me, is living in my own head most of the time. I wonder if that's true for everyone or just me...

No I identify with that a lot. I made a post not longer after I came here in the adjustment to late onset deafness thread, I said something like I never feel so alone as I do when I'm with a bunch of people....or something like that.

Tyrion is a character in The Song of Fire and Ice. Aka Game of Thrones, he's a dwarf, not like a Tolkien dwarf, but a midget. He's my favorite character written, that I've read anyway lol.

Martin, the author, came out with a book if Tyrion quotes, I want it.

but the full quote, and context. It's fantasy but the setting is kind of like Medieval. Tyrion is talking to Jon Snow, who is a bastard, and crying about being a bastard, he says

Tyrion "Let me tell you something, Bastard. Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.

Jon "What the hell do you know about being a bastard?"

Tyrion "All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes"

I think that's what said in the show, they changed it a little from what was written in the book. In the book it was Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name take it make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.”

...Ima have to start watching that show then.

I just now am downloading seasons 1-5 of Dr. Who. Never seen em. I'm so far behind on shows it's not even funny.

You're right about the loneliness, psychologically speaking humans are a herding animal..a pack animal...when we're taken from that pack, physically or metaphorically (being deaf) then it's damaging. I think most people can't truly grasp that concept unless they go through it. At best they can merely speculate as to what it would be like. But then again, I suppose that's true for most things...

Absolutely. I read all the books, I've only seen the first season of the show.

My brother talks about the show but I've not watched it. He told me that Battlefield Earth was the best movie ever made.

...he's not allowed to suggest movies or shows anymore.

My brother talks about the show but I've not watched it. He told me that Battlefield Earth was the best movie ever made.

...he's not allowed to suggest movies or shows anymore.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I like the books better. A lot of people get turned off by the 3rd one, they don't like how "weird" it gets. I think it's a natural progression for the plot though. In the books there was magic in the world, but it left. In the beginning the magic starts coming back into the world so I think it's fitting that it gets weird. Plus the large cast of characters, some people have a hard time keeping up with everybody.

I like how he changes how you feel about character as well, one of the most hated character at the beginning becomes one of my favorite later. A lot of people don't like that either, they want them to stay in their boxes.

I love books that are engaging like that. Too few writers have the ability to trust their readers into forming their own conclusions....even more so with film makers...If they'd let the audience and readers form their own conclusions, I think books and movies would be far better...because no two people would see or read the same thing.

Deaf is Culturally meaning that you use ASL and involve into the Deaf community (Deaf Society). Small letter d mean that you are oral deaf and also medically deaf (hearing impaired which most doctors and nurses prefer to call them). deaf mean that you can not hear or could not pick up any words at all like severe or profound loss.

But to answer the answer the hh to deaf thing.....I think that's still kind of individual. When my loss was severe I didn't consider myself deaf, just hard of hearing or hearing impaired. But I did very very well with my hearing aids.

Now that I'm profound to no response I consider myself deaf without my aid, but with my hearing aid on, I generally just wear one, I consider myself hard of hearing. Yes I'm profoundly deaf and can hear with my hearing aid, I can hear speech, I don't hear everything and have to supplement with speech reading so you have to be in front of me, but yes I can do it.

Now, I think the medical community won't label you "deaf" til you hit the profound range, I could be wrong. But if someone with lesser degree of loss considers themselves deaf? eh, whatever, ain't our business and doesn't matter to anyone but the person. That's just my humble opinion

I'm relying this person's experience.
Most if not all of the Deaf people I've met find "hearing impaired" variably offensive.

I think "hearing impaired" is a political correctness that has become allowed.
The n-word is much more "charged" in general because of historical differences and the degree of importance in the U.S placed on the concept of "race".

I'll agree that it's political correctness. It's unfortunately it's easy to misunderstood the definition of this word and that dictionary explained it poorly. There’s no “hearing impaired” in dictionary, but “impaired” means disabled, broken, defective, etc… that’s why deaf people found it offensive.

Tyrion is a character in The Song of Fire and Ice. Aka Game of Thrones, he's a dwarf, not like a Tolkien dwarf, but a midget. He's my favorite character written, that I've read anyway lol.

Martin, the author, came out with a book if Tyrion quotes, I want it.

but the full quote, and context. It's fantasy but the setting is kind of like Medieval. Tyrion is talking to Jon Snow, who is a bastard, and crying about being a bastard, he says

Tyrion "Let me tell you something, Bastard. Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.

Jon "What the hell do you know about being a bastard?"

Tyrion "All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes"

I think that's what said in the show, they changed it a little from what was written in the book. In the book it was Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name take it make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.”

Tyrion is awesome character and full of best quotes. I always loved to see him try to outwit people including his father. He's one of two favorite characters I like from this show (another is Daenerys).

Perfectly sound advice madam.

It reminds me of chapter 9 of the Tao te Ching:

"Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner." ~ Lao Tzu

That's true...

Back