what I have been taught about deaf culture

Eve, do you have ANY basis for that statement? I am VERY offended...yeah there are some slackers out there, but a lot of those on disabilty are the ones who have multiple health issues, and I mean it wouldn't surprise me one iota if most of the dhh people on disabilty were the ones who were raised oral. Being oral means you have a dependancy on good quality healthcare, and that's something that's wicked hard to get in America since we don't have universal health care! Pure oral people cannot function without their hearing aids or CIs....the devices which supposely give them "freedom"

You go, dd! Deaf are not disabled, they are differently abled. The reason it is a disability, or ever defined as one, is because the hearing world has refused to gived validity to the difference in ability and have treated deafness as a disability by refusing equal access to education, employment, etc.
The hearing world's restrictions are what cases deafness to be a handicapping condition, not the actual absence of auditory function.

deafdyke, I am sorry if you find offense at my statement, but please take note that I did NOT say ALL deafies, just many. It just amazes me that some of the same deafies that throw fits over being called disabled are the same ones who do rely on SSDI. And, yes, I could point my finger at a few individuals that most of us know online, but I will refrain.

deafman6975, i am hoh and married to a deaf man. neither of us collect ssdi and i don't personally consider myself as "disabled", but i also don't do anything to perpetuate the thought that i am. i agree that there are plenty of hearies that abuse the system, but the statement was concerning those of us (referring to deafies) who don't want to be labeled as "disabled" yet have no problem taking money for "disability", to me it is rather hypocritical to do so.
I was not labeling you. I don't even know you. I wasn't even labeling all deafies, only "many". And yes, many just want a free ride and aren't willing to expand their horizons by taking the opportunity to enhance their education in order to learn a new trade and not be so dependent on the system.
And I'm not talking about all deaf people, possibly not even the majority.
Wrong, I have problems with hypocrits and I have no idea whether or not you fall into that catagory. I obviously have no problem with the deaf or I would have a problem with myself, my husband, and our children. I also would not rely on the use of sign language in my own home if I were opposed to anything deaf related. I am probably here for the same reasons you are, to share and learn. One thing I do have a problem with is when hearies come to sites like these and see a bunch of dumbass deafies whining and looking for pity, and leaving here with the assumption that we are all that way. I think it is important for those of us with an ounce of intelligence to disuade this line of thought concerning the deaf.

The word "many" implies more than a few exceptions, and does not include those deaf with other handicapping conditions. To even use this word is offensive. Perhaps, some, or a few would have been more appropriate. Would you not take offense if it was implied that most hearing people prefer to take a free ride rather than work even when they are capable?

:gpost:
On the other hand I think that hearing society does owe us to an extent. THEY are the ones who poorly educated us, they are the ones who insisted that hearing and speaking were key to good jobs and a good education.
I don't hate hearies, and I don't hold a grudge against them....most of my friends are hearing and I've been in the hearing world. I just don't like the experts who are wicked audist.

As always, dd--Well said!

In training for my job, we had a total of 8 hours of deaf culture awareness. This involved a couple of videos, lessons on how to translate ASL syntax, aracteristics of the culture, etc. It was what helped to get me interested in deaf culture. There were several generalizations made, and it got me interested, from a sociological standpoint. Here are some examples of what we were taught:

Deaf are more open and honest about things (example: how much someone paid for something, someone's appearance, etc)

The American deaf community is more of a collectivist society when compared to mainstream America, who were considered more individualistic.

In conversation, it is considered rude to not honestly comment on someone's appearance.

Concluding a conversation isn't as simple as "bye" but there are several more responses too each other, when someone is ready to end the conversation.

I just wanted to throw this out in the open, and see what comments you have towards these generalizations.

hey that's what I learned too

Back