What form of signed language do you prefer?

smorgan

Reaction score
Hello!

I am curious as to;

Which signed language do you prefer? (Ex. SEE)

What is your native signed language? (Ex. ASL. KSL.)

Thanks. :wave:

PS. This isn't a homework question to those upset already. I am CURIOUS!

Hello!

I am curious as to;

Here's one for you: what is KSL? That's new to me. And my primary language is ASL, with my secondary language being spoken English (which I do quite well).

I think I'm quite a mix between SEE and ASL. Although, whenever interpreters ask... I prefer English. (SEE)

When I was younger I would sign in DGS (german) then SEE. I didn't know what it was, I just called it "sign language", then many many years later I met someone else who signed and tried to talk to him he signed so so very fast.

At first I attributed to my sign being very very poor because I never went to Deaf school and never learned the right way, I only learned by watching others and learning on my own. Then I watched and he was asking me for something (if I wanted to sit) and the sign for "sit" was virtually the same but had a little different... the left hand was in the H position where as mine was always in the C (I was taught that C is for chair.

Then later on I noticed at the end of the day he said he was going home. His home sign was ...the right hand in the shape of "more" and he went from the corner of his mouth and drug it to his ear.

My sign for home was the same at the beginning. The "more" shape on the corner of the mouth to emulate "eat" almost, and then the sign for 'sleep'. To indicated "where I eat and sleep". I liked his sign FAR better.

I really wish I had gone to Deaf school, or at least have some Deaf people around that I can converse with.

I prefer ASL because I cannot understand SEE. It is too linguistically confusing.

It has screwed up a lot of deaf people's English skills which makes me angry.

At first, I thought there were something wrong with my mind because i could not grasp SEE at all. Until I met someone who signs ASL, and I fianlly understand, and picked up English how to write better. I wish I had ASL at such a young age.

Hello!

I am curious as to;

but SEE is not a language.

I think the OP may be aware of that because the question is "form" not which language.

Or, Jane, dogmom could have been going off the OP's statement which distinctly referred to SEE as a language...

As for me, I would say ASL, but I am really much more comfortable with PSE>

I grew up learning and using SEE but prefer ASL or PSE. I'm more of a PSE signer myself these days, but will be taking an ASL class next semester to hopefully help me improve my ASL skills. I can still understand and read SEE, and it definitely helped with my English comprehension (I don't get the ASL language structure cause English was really crammed into my head while I was in school. Set up of ASL language confuses me, so I do ASL signs in english word order lol). Just hard for me to convert from English to ASL language structure, you know?

Well, I need to confess that I sign close enough in PSE But mixed with ASL. THANKS A LOT TO S.E.E.! :o

Back