What do you think?

DragonYoga

Reaction score
I've been thinking of writing a fantasy/adventure story without any descriptions of sound, and see if people notice.

What do you guys think? Doable?

I've been thinking of writing a fantasy/adventure story without any descriptions of sound, and see if people notice.

What do you guys think? Doable?

that would quite a challenge. Do you mean that you would not mention speech etc? Tell me more!

that would quite a challenge. Do you mean that you would not mention speech etc? Tell me more!

I would mention speech, but that one would be the most difficult part. Explosions would be felt, not heard... Things would be sensed, just not actually HEARD. Hmmm. Maybe the group doesn't use speech - they use their own signed code (similar to sign language) - that would solve the speech problem. :)

I would mention speech, but that one would be the most difficult part. Explosions would be felt, not heard... Things would be sensed, just not actually HEARD. Hmmm. Maybe the group doesn't use speech - they use their own signed code (similar to sign language) - that would solve the speech problem. :)

Intriguing. I can see how you could describe other sound by vibration and observation to a degree, but boy it will be a challenge, that I am sure you are up for. I think you are right that sign would solve the speech problem. There are so many things to consider. So many sounds to try to represent. I will be interested in watching the process unfold if you would allow me to. I am excited for you. A great adventure is on your horizon it seems. Let me know if you decide to persue it.

I joined Scribophla, but I don't know the process of actually posting an attatchment. they wrote and encouraged a post, but I still don't know what I am doing there. COMPUTER iliterate.... There should be a law against it. teehee.... They need a category... Buttons for Dummys.

Good luck with your story.

DY ... I agree with dc that it would be a challenge, a very tricky and complex one at that. I'd say, go for it! ... well worth a try! :)

Ozzie and DreamCatcher, thank you! :D

I'll do that for my next NaNovel (this November).

DreamCatcher, do you have the same username on Scribophile? And it's easy to add your works - just go to My Desk, click on the "Manage My Works" button on the top left side, and follow the prompts.

BUT.

You need to critique some works to build up the karma points so you can post some works. :)

Since it's fantasy, you might want to construct a world where there's no air or water as media to conduct sound, and thus the inhabitants have no need to develop hearing apparatus.

An analogy is Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity where the world is so large and dense that the being are flat with multiple feet like a millipede and can never raise themselves even half their length. Thus, some never developed eyes to see any farther than they could move without spending much time for nurishment and rest, about the length of an earth yardstick.

Since it's fantasy, you might want to construct a world where there's no air or water as media to conduct sound, and thus the inhabitants have no need to develop hearing apparatus.

An analogy is Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity where the world is so large and dense that the being are flat with multiple feet like a millipede and can never raise themselves even half their length. Thus, some never developed eyes to see any farther than they could move without spending much time for nurishment and rest, about the length of an earth yardstick.

Whoa, Chase, great idea... It could be done... And Yoda has it burning in her gut, so it will be cool to see being birthed, and raised from conception into a novel... This stuff is so exciting to me... Where have you people been all of my life... :):) no joke, where have you been all of my life..????? :laugh2::laugh2::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I'm not worthy..:)

Back