What do you do when hearing people ask you rude questions?

I am surprised when it happens, a surprised goodonya is usually a pissed off goodonya. It usually goes downhill from there.

I got this once:

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DEAF FOR????? (shouted veeeery slowly and loudly at me)
I replied "Oh, I',m not deaf, but I see you wear glasses, how long have you been blind for?"

I got this once:

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DEAF FOR????? (shouted veeeery slowly and loudly at me)
I replied "Oh, I',m not deaf, but I see you wear glasses, how long have you been blind for?"

i will have to remember this...and while at it, id pretend to answer the mob just to get camera ready for their face LOL

Smack 'em in the forehead and say....when the good Lord gave out brains,yours turned to mush....

I have been asked a multitude of questions about my hearing loss. Some of them include, "can you talk?" Of course, I'm not mute. "Why does your speech sound funny?" Then why does your hair look funny? (She has a disease that causes hair loss). "Oh really? You got an A+ in Calculus?" I'm glad you got a F in the same class too.

What are the rudest questions people have asked you regarding your deafness/CI/hearing loss? What do you say in response?

Depending on the kind of question, I'd either give 'em a piece of my mind or if I had the option (without a trip to jail, that is), kick 'em where it hurts the most, but let me make this clear-- that's reserved for men ONLY.

The classic, from a very well meaning person.... how can you drive with not HAs (without them I am pretty well deaf deaf). Oh my my. Just like you do. Probably better. Sigh.

Oh, here is a cute one. Tonight I rode Amtrak from SEA to PDX. The guy in the station is barking this and that and this and that and I have no idea what. So I go to one of the Amtrak guys and communicate 'for me, what track, what line?'. He was a sweet kid and he wrote on my paper track, etc... then wrote 'would you like a ride to the train'. I walk good. I don't hear worth a shit. lol. He tried!

The classic, from a very well meaning person.... how can you drive with not HAs (without them I am pretty well deaf deaf). Oh my my. Just like you do. Probably better. Sigh.

Deaf deaf is better, but here's the thing-- I'm pretty well known around here, and people don't think twice to challenge me if I say I'm deaf. They just do their jobs and things go smoothly.

Back