What country is very good to the deaf people?

Back to the question, I can tell you that it's definitely not Germany!

Oh really? Liebling is in Germany, I wish she will give her viewpoint on that.:wave:

Liebling!!!

Well, I think so.
Of course, it's not a bad life at all, but that's just for anybody, not only for deaf people. Thanks to our social- and health care system, there are many ways you can get help, if you need it.
If you don't have a job, the state pays you an apartment, etc. At least you can life with that...
The social security (everyone has one) pays for everything important. If you are deaf, they pay for your implants, or every five years a part of your HA.
But that's the whole system.
On the other hand, there are almost nowhere subtitles to be found on tv. Not even the news or some important speech or whatever. (Don't start asking about interpreters. Pay them yourself and be lucky if you get a good one!)
If you attend a school for the deaf, you are lucky when you got one teacher who is able to at least sign a few words.
The education for deaf people is real bad! Over the whole country there are only two schools where deaf people are able to make their 'Abitur'. That's the thing you need around here to enter university.

Those are just a few examples...

Here one business in Egypt that seem to employe all deaf and have one hearing to answer phones from watching this youtube video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnbYg6KJUI]YouTube - Cairo Egypt Deaf KFC[/ame]

Here one business in Egypt that seem to employe all deaf and have one hearing to answer phones from watching this youtube video.

Beeing deaf in egypt is so easy when I am there. Deaf people run stores and hearing people threat deaf people pretty equal. Dunno why. It's perhaps a heritage of ancient egypt. They also got bedouin tribes where a large percentage is deaf, my impression is that this helpt to make deafness more normal and a "so what" thing.

But... more than one of the deaf people I have met in egypt can't read or write, like this you tube clip. Notice how the deaf man have to ask the hearie to write a word.

For education and literacy, perhaps sweden is among the best, but for lack of prejudices, egypt is a top one on my list.

Which sign language are they using in Egypt? I have heard of ASL and BSL but I don't know of any others. Pardon my ignorance.

Thank you Bott. In that video it looks like the alphabet along the wall is the same as I use when I need to fingerspell. Is the alphabet universal for all sign languages? Again pardon my ignorance.

No.

Egyptian Sign Language. Honest.

Deaf cultures: Egypt

It's correct egypt have a egytian sign language, but it's not the only one. At the Sinai peninsula, bedouins use a different sign language. My first experience with sign language in egypt is from bedouins, later, when I met deafs from Alexandria and Cairo, I realized egyptians used another sign language.

In the link above, it's a link to swimming with dolphins, with a deaf boy. This article should be taken with a large grain of salt, as it's aimed at the tourist industry. A lonely deaf boy making friend with a lonely dolphin... Fact is that this boy was from a signing bedouin tribe in Nuweiba with several deaf people. Most of this tribe was into making money from the tourist industry with the brain damaged dolphin until it's death.

Unfortunately, bedouins suffers from a horrible systematical oppression, so I would be surprised if the egyptian goverment acknowledged the sign language among bedouins.

I don't know about USSR because I attend a deaf guy's lecture on his travels to USSR. He said that the deaf people there are mostly into black markets.

I read an article that said that russia used to be really good but then Stalin came and his ideas were quite Audist but it does seem like a good place pre stalin.

It's correct egypt have a egytian sign language, but it's not the only one. At the Sinai peninsula, bedouins use a different sign language. My first experience with sign language in egypt is from bedouins, later, when I met deafs from Alexandria and Cairo, I realized egyptians used another sign language.

In the link above, it's a link to swimming with dolphins, with a deaf boy. This article should be taken with a large grain of salt, as it's aimed at the tourist industry. A lonely deaf boy making friend with a lonely dolphin... Fact is that this boy was from a signing bedouin tribe in Nuweiba with several deaf people. Most of this tribe was into making money from the tourist industry with the brain damaged dolphin until it's death.

Unfortunately, bedouins suffers from a horrible systematical oppression, so I would be surprised if the egyptian goverment acknowledged the sign language among bedouins.

That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Sinai, Egypt as well.

Beeing deaf in egypt is so easy when I am there. Deaf people run stores and hearing people threat deaf people pretty equal. Dunno why. It's perhaps a heritage of ancient egypt. They also got bedouin tribes where a large percentage is deaf, my impression is that this helpt to make deafness more normal and a "so what" thing.

But... more than one of the deaf people I have met in egypt can't read or write, like this you tube clip. Notice how the deaf man have to ask the hearie to write a word.

For education and literacy, perhaps sweden is among the best, but for lack of prejudices, egypt is a top one on my list.

I am sorry but I had to laugh about that one. :lol:

I would assume it might be Sweden, but unless we can find at least one deaf citizen in each country and ask them, I don't think we will ever know. Plus respondents may only reply if they have a very strong negative opinion based on a negative experience.

I've met deaf people at Galaludet during Deaf Way I and II. Seemed Europe and North America is leading. Asia is catching up. Africa, Middle East and South America are behind. The late Mike Kemp used to work in Latin American countries. more to do with culture (shame, dishonor, embarrassement to have a disabled person in the family). Hearing foreigners are more interested in technologies like CC and the VRS etc.

I am thinking of Isarel cuz they had no problem with deaf being in the army. :dunno:

I would assume it might be Sweden, but unless we can find at least one deaf citizen in each country and ask them, I don't think we will ever know. Plus respondents may only reply if they have a very strong negative opinion based on a negative experience.

I have met deaf people from Sweden and from their descriptions, it sound like a very good country to them. My friend also visits there every summer and she wishes she can move there.

Back