What country is very good to the deaf people?

Buffalo

Reaction score
I heard this question recently and the answer is Ancient Egypt. If anybody knows what book that explains this, please let me know. I just want to know more on this. Thank you!

I attended Nigel Howard's workshop on Deafhood a few months ago and he said Turkey had done alot of wonderful things to Deaf people during the Ottoman Empire era.

Deaf worship

I wish be attending about to go to attending about to you important to help you. I am wish be give saskatoon of deaf hearing services...Welcome Page

That is good give you information to show you improve Saskatoon of Deaf Hard Hearing Services.

I attended Nigel Howard's workshop on Deafhood a few months ago and he said Turkey had done alot of wonderful things to Deaf people during the Ottoman Empire era.

Really? Like What?

As I've been told that USSR treated the deaf people really well.... :dunno:

I don't know about USSR because I attend a deaf guy's lecture on his travels to USSR. He said that the deaf people there are mostly into black markets.

I heard this question recently and the answer is Ancient Egypt. If anybody knows what book that explains this, please let me know. I just want to know more on this. Thank you!

Funny you mentioned ancient Egypt.

I didn't know if you saw this thread or not but apparently there is an all Deaf KFC in Cairo: http://www.alldeaf.com/travel-leisure/57448-deaf-kfc-cairo-anyone-been.html

In the thread--there is an YouTube video to watch. Some of the signs I recognized whereas some were....Egyptian. :)

As I've been told that USSR treated the deaf people really well.... :dunno:

Yes that is a fact. Some years ago, I met a Russian wrestler at Gallaudet University where he took part in the Deaf Friendship or Goodwill Game. He told me that almost all Deaf people had good education and jobs during the Communist government. When Soviet Union fell apart, many of those Deaf people had their lives turned upside down.

Really? Like What?

They used Deaf people as spies, artists, attendants and etc.

During their wartime history, the Deaf spies did not need any top secret documents to carry, so they relied on their sign language to carry top secret messages to their compatriots. Supposedly they were stopped by enemy soldiers, the enemy soldiers would had hard time to communicate with them. As a result, they let them go.

During their wartime history, the Deaf spies did not need any top secret documents to carry, so they relied on their sign language to carry top secret messages to their compatriots. Supposedly they were stopped by enemy soldiers, the enemy soldiers would had hard time to communicate with them. As a result, they let them go.

Ah, That makes sense. I'm pretty sure it's just not only the Ottoman Empire but it also happens in different kinds of wars too. I also remember hearing about stories about The Union/Confederates were using some Deaf people as spies or messengers during the civil war, so and on.

Thus why we have the infamous Deaf Smith story.

Ah, That makes sense. I'm pretty sure it's just not only the Ottoman Empire but it also happens in different kinds of wars too. I also remember hearing about stories about The Union/Confederates were using some Deaf people as spies or messengers during the civil war, so and on.

Thus why we have the infamous Deaf Smith story.

Also, the French Republicans used their Deaf spies to watch the movements of French troops who were loyal to Louis XIV during the French Revolution. When the soldiers planned their march toward those Republicans, the Deaf spies would ran to warn them off in advance. At numerous times, the Deaf spies were stopped by the royal soldiers then they were dismissed cuz of their disability.

I had a family member, originally from Ireland, that worked as a housekeeper in Nazi Germany for an SS officer and she would be able to hear their conversations and report back to her superiors.

Most of the time the German officers discussed pertinent information in front of her as they knew she had a slight hearing problem.....

Eventually she was caught and "used" by the German officers and sent to Ravensbruck CC and freed 2 years later.

Last edited:

:jaw: Are you serious ?

Also, the French Republicans used their Deaf spies to watch the movements of French troops who were loyal to Louis XIV during the French Revolution. When the soldiers planned their march toward those Republicans, the Deaf spies would ran to warn them off in advance. At numerous times, the Deaf spies were stopped by the royal soldiers then they were dismissed cuz of their disability.

Ah - Interesting. In a way I'm not surprised with that because it has it's own advantage. I'm quite curious where did you get that information from? Is there a source to this? :)

Ah - Interesting. In a way I'm not surprised with that because it has it's own advantage. I'm quite curious where did you get that information from? Is there a source to this? :)

It came from Nigel Howard who provided a seminar about Deafhood. He found them thru his research, I think. Ask Missywinks who knows him better than I do. :)

Back