What communications do you use while socializing with a group of hearing people?

amc5754

Reaction score
How are you able catch on what going on like a family gathering? Signing? Write it down? Texts? Other? Nothing? I am just wondering.

I go to my own little corner and play around on my phone. If people make an effort to talk to me, I'll talk back. But if it's in a group convo, you could just as well forget it! I'm not making 400% effort to participate.

I sit in a corner and read a book. If the family or group is being very exasperating, then I try to lipread, but mostly just stay with my book.

I go to my own little corner and play around on my phone. If people make an effort to talk to me, I'll talk back. But if it's in a group convo, you could just as well forget it! I'm not making 400% effort to participate.

Pretty much the same for me. Usually I have somebody who wants to, but I have become very good at occupying myself.

The new very portable electronic toys have made a wonderful difference in my life.

I socialize with hearing people who are fluent in ASL so no problem there. With hearing family members, i lipread and use my oral skills but for a short period of time as it is too exhausting for me.

I am with you all the way. I would use my phone to text people like my friends if I need or want to. LOL. I feel left out most of time.

Lip-read...some ASL (for misunderstandings)...when it's a "family event", I usually go round to each individual and make small talk...get the latest gossip too....at times, I may be the last one to know something...but at other times, I'm the 1st....

Lip-read...some ASL (for misunderstandings)...when it's a "family event", I usually go round to each individual and make small talk...get the latest gossip too....at times, I may be the last one to know something...but at other times, I'm the 1st....

I'm the same way about gossip... Sometimes I get it first, sometimes last. :shock:

Pretty much the same for me. Usually I have somebody who wants to, but I have become very good at occupying myself.

The new very portable electronic toys have made a wonderful difference in my life.

Me too. I don't know what I did without my smartphone and kindle back in the day...

*yawn* most time i not join bec i suck lipread. most hearing not care communication me. i did try using paper with pen, but they not talk much is boring. but some hearing nice try ASL communication me. my good friend Giorgos keep improve practice sign i am proud him!!!!

Over the holiday my family was asking questions regarding my learning ASL (started six months ago). One reason I started is because I am now HoH... and my ears are NOT getting better.

My MIL (and how I love her) asked if they (the family) should start learning it for me! I read so many stories here about people's families not learning sign... I thought it was nice to report that not all families are like that. I am so lucky to be in this kind of family!

I sit in a corner by myself and play on my iPhone. Seriously considering a kindle or a nook as the battery lasts way longer, lol.

Other times I will read a book- if I know it will be a while before I can get away.

:wave:mbrek, I'm glad for you

my husband - deaf, raised "hearing impaired" - told me he would learn it for me if I at some point "needed it". For him, it's a big leap.

Lipread and I hear bits and pieces. Never found it tiring though. :dunno: I do most of the talking anyway. :lol:

Back