Weird emission rule?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Many vehicles fail emission test. In many states, the buyer will have to get the car to pass the emission before they can plate it.

Let's say that maybe I'm in CA or VA and I sell my car to you. You won't be able to plate it because it failed the emission. You'll have to pass emission before you can plate it.

Now, in Illinois and many states, if I sold you a car that failed emission, you would still be able to plate it. You would eventually have to pass emission to renew your plate.

See, in Illinois, I would fail emission, sell you the car, you plate it, drive it, fail emission, sell it off. 2nd buyer would repeat what first buyer did without passing emission. Just get plate for it, then when it is time for emission, sell it off. New buyer will plate it and so on. The cycle repeat.

Kind of weird law.

Nothing really strange at all with emission laws. Either your car passes or it doesn't. Some municipalities require emission testing, some don't, so it's not necessarily a statewide requirement.

Nothing really strange at all with emission laws. Either your car passes or it doesn't. Some municipalities require emission testing, some don't, so it's not necessarily a statewide requirement.

never heard of municipal law on such thing. emission inspection is a matter of state law.

never heard of municipal law on such thing. emission inspection is a matter of state law.

You are correct. What I meant to say was that emissions testing is not required in parts of some states. These are typically rural areas that do not contribute to pollution generated in populace places. So they are exempt from testing requirements.

They exist....although rare. From one of my home states....

Like most other Sun Belt cities, Albuquerque struggles with sprawl. With sprawl comes an entrenched car culture. And when 700,000 drivers take to the roads, pollution becomes a cause for concern.

That is why the city instituted an emissions program. It is the only neck of the woods in the state that requires any sort of smog testing. Thus, anyone living in the greater metropolitan area will need to have their vehicle checked (or get an exemption) before registering it. This also applies to commuters driving into the city for work more than 60 days in a year.

New Mexico Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, NM Smog Testing Stations at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

LOL I wouldn't use a vehicle that doesn't sound right, especially when oil and other filters were neglected to be changed. But if you have no choice, use a fuel addutive to buy you more time.

If buyer in California state, purchase used or salvaged vehicle, must have smog inspection to pass the emission test to obtains a certificate and tag. But the seller is responsible to providing a smog certificate to the buyer.
For pre-1975 gas powered vehicles is not required smog inspection, still subject to the lamp inspection.

Get Diesel, these Diesel vehicles generally don't require emission inspection.

Get Diesel, these Diesel vehicles generally don't require emission inspection.

Diesel vehicles in California, still require smog inspection....Model year is 1998 up to 2010 but the vehicle's weight is more than 15K lbs, no smog required. If my brain is correct....

No big deal, here at my home, emission inspection is not required for my Diesel super duty but required for my Jeep.

From time to time I do see black soot coming out of my tailpipe. Usually when I floored and the engine is cold.

If I am in the big Apple city then my truck won't pass E-inspection.

I check my smog inspection manual, states the model year and vehicle weight for diesel powered vehicles is 1998 and newer and 14,000 lbs GVWR or less are subject to smog inspection. Oops, my mistake....

No big deal, here at my home, emission inspection is not required for my Diesel super duty but required for my Jeep.

From time to time I do see black soot coming out of my tailpipe. Usually when I floored and the engine is cold.

If I am in the big Apple city then my truck won't pass E-inspection.

You lucky. I failed a 2006 Chevrolet K2500 Silverado HD with a 6.6L diesel for black puffs from tailpipe when snap throttle, also discovered illegal performance module (mod chip) and cold air intake system, result failed for modified. This truck is only 47,000 miles on it. I've not see it come back for correct or restore OEM parts. I guess the customer find another smog check station to test it....

We recently ditched our smog checking here in Alaska.

However, if you have the time and motivation, go Electric. Electric cars are 50 states emissions exempt with permanent waiver.

Back