Weird earmold experience

Thanks, this is what I started to do and it has helped a lot.

As far as the trimming, I had to do that to one of his when he first got them after a few days. I could tell one was bothering him and when I looked at it closely I could see a tiny plastic burr, used a razor blade and took it off.

You can use peroxide on the soft molds, also in his ears, and if you buy a Dry and Store machine, it has ultraviolet light cycle the can help kill any bacteria or mold before it bothers his ears.

This is what I do, and with about 15 or 16 hours a day of wear, I never get infections. (Now that I said this I probably will.)

my husband also has one of those Dry and Store machines and really thinks it is very useful.

You can use peroxide on the soft molds, also in his ears, and if you buy a Dry and Store machine, it has ultraviolet light cycle the can help kill any bacteria or mold before it bothers his ears.

This is what I do, and with about 15 or 16 hours a day of wear, I never get infections. (Now that I said this I probably will.)

I will also probably now get one.. however.. i wear mine from the moment i get up to the moment i go to bed, and i only wipe mine with a tissue or soft cloth. No alcohol or anything, and never had an ear infection due to earmolds. had one but that started as a sinus infection.
I don't own a dry and store or anything and i've been fine. I guess it just depends on your body.
*EQL*

I will also probably now get one.. however.. i wear mine from the moment i get up to the moment i go to bed, and i only wipe mine with a tissue or soft cloth. No alcohol or anything, and never had an ear infection due to earmolds. had one but that started as a sinus infection.
I don't own a dry and store or anything and i've been fine. I guess it just depends on your body.
*EQL*

Yeah I wear mine from waking until I go to bed also. I must have phrased that badly.

The Dry and Store runs 8 hours, but you can take them out earlier if you need to. The disinfection is the first cycle.

Elliott's Dad, are these earmolds hypo-allergenic?

Thanks, I'll look into one of those.
Elliott's Dad, are these earmolds hypo-allergenic?
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask.

Thanks, I'll look into one of those.

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask.

I think one has to specifically ask for hypo-allergenic earmolds at the time of purchase; otherwise, one gets the ones that are not.

Yeah I wear mine from waking until I go to bed also. I must have phrased that badly.

The Dry and Store runs 8 hours, but you can take them out earlier if you need to. The disinfection is the first cycle.

Can the batteries go in there also?

Hi Jenny, I live in East York and go to GBC. We're practically neighbours! :wave:

So curious about something; have you consulted ADP to pay for your HA molds? Growing up with HAs and ear molds (fittings and all), I've made sure I known the ADP as well as the CHHA. My youngest sister is a certified hearing instrument fitter/dispenser. She went to GBC for two years in both programs respectively.

This was how I know more about HAs itself - you do have ADP coverage under the CHHA policy.

Ontario (Updated Fall 2009)
Children & Adults: Hearing aids and FM systems must be purchased from a vendor registered with the Assistive Devices Program (ADP). ADP will reimburse eligible Ontarians 75% of the cost, including dispensing fee, ear molds and accessories, to a maximum of:

-$500 of the cost of one hearing aid,
- $1,000 for two hearing aids,
-$1,350 of the cost of an FM system
The ADP requires prior authorization for FM systems for adults. The audiologist authorizer must send a written request to ADP for prior authorization before any FM system is dispensed to an adult.

CHHA (Canadian Hard of Hearing Association) - link

You could also ask for a Store-n-Dry, there are used ones and they still are just as good. Some people have no use for their Store-n-Dry, they will return them to CHS offices or their HA dispenser offices. The same goes to CNIB, sometimes I have no use for some adaptive equipment, I give to CNIB and some other people have a use for those. They are free.

PM me if you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Smile!

Hi Jenny, I live in East York and go to GBC. We're practically neighbours! :wave:

So curious about something; have you consulted ADP to pay for your HA molds? Growing up with HAs and ear molds (fittings and all), I've made sure I known the ADP as well as the CHHA. My youngest sister is a certified hearing instrument fitter/dispenser. She went to GBC for two years in both programs respectively.

This was how I know more about HAs itself - you do have ADP coverage under the CHHA policy.

CHHA (Canadian Hard of Hearing Association) - link

You could also ask for a Store-n-Dry, there are used ones and they still are just as good. Some people have no use for their Store-n-Dry, they will return them to CHS offices or their HA dispenser offices. The same goes to CNIB, sometimes I have no use for some adaptive equipment, I give to CNIB and some other people have a use for those. They are free.

PM me if you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Smile!

I live in East York too!

I have a Dry & Store.

ADP only gives you money every 3 years for hearing aid things. I need new molds more often than that but my insurance may cover them this time.

I used to always get pimples and sores in my ears too from ear molds. I figured it was from the mold moving around in my ear. I started wiping my ears with an alcohol swab every morning and it sort of dries up the ears so that the ear mold doesn't slide around. Idk this helped me. :dunno:

I live in East York too!

I have a Dry & Store.

ADP only gives you money every 3 years for hearing aid things. I need new molds more often than that but my insurance may cover them this time.

You live in East York too! You and I need to get together for a cuppa coffee and soon too! :wave:

I'm off to PM you where I live!

My audi charges $60 per mould, but there's a 3-month trial too. If you're not happy with your moulds, just come back and get new ones done free of charge. I've been going to this place since I was a kid and this was the first I'd heard of that (granted, my parents took care of everything; I just sat there and accepted new moulds or HAs or whatever, lol). I went 9 months with ill-fitting moulds that drove me up the wall (I guess this bunch here understands (maybe) the strong urge to punch yourself in the ear when the mould keeps sliding around and doesn't feel "snug"), then finally broke down and got new ones done and was told about this 3-month trial. Well. At least now I know. And my new moulds fit just like I remember them fitting when I was a kid (I estimate I've had not-quite-well-fitted moulds for about 5 years)

Back