Weather Alert Devices

Lily7

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a deaf-friendly weather radio type thing. I live in tornado alley and would like some way of knowing what is going on with my county without having to rely on TV broadcast captioning or internet.

I found some useful information on the National Weather Service's webpage: NOAA Weather Radio

From what I can tell, if I get a weather radio with SAME and capabilities for text readout, it will serve my purpose. The one I am considering is this: Midland HH54VP2 Portable Weather Radio

Does anyone know anything about these types of devices? Can anyone give me advice as to whether or not a device like this with SAME and text display would be useful to me even though I am deaf?

Thanks. :)

Hello Lily,

I have a Weather Alarm System include strobe light with bed vibrator. I bought at Harris Communications, it's great for alerting dwellers..

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Also see if your area has weather-alert texting services. Many areas allow people to register to receive textbased weather updates for severe weather etc - sent to their mobile (also emailed if requested).

This service is free.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Also see if your area has weather-alert texting services. Many areas allow people to register to receive textbased weather updates for severe weather etc - sent to their mobile (also emailed if requested).

This service is free.

My area does have this service, but it is useless since the mobile networks pretty much get bogged down and come to a stop when something happens weather-wise. It is impossible to make a phone call if you don't have a landline, and texts take hours to go through. The last time we had a tornado warning I didn't get the text until 3 hours after the fact.

Back