Wearing hearing aids

psycho_staceyuk

Reaction score
I have a big problem wearing my hearing aid. I previously had the in the ear one but i kept getting ear infections. So i was changed to the one that goes behind the ear...but i still get the same problem. I try my hardest to wear it but every time i do within a few days i have a really bad earache. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem..or weither its just me :dunno: . i try my hardest to go without wearing it but its getting more harder as my hearing is gettin worse. ive had loads of ops to try and sort out my hearing but there is nothing they can do. i was just wondering weither anyone else has had this problem with hearing aids.
Stacey

I think that you need to wash your earmolds. If you already did that, then your ear might be allergic to the soap. Hope that helps.

^^ I was thinkin the same thing. Maybe you should clean the earwax out, b/c if you've had infections before, then there's a very good chance that the infection causing agents could still be in your earwax, thus, harbouring in the hole of your moulds and replicating again. As well, i know with myself when i take my aids out at night my ears are always moist/wet from having them in. Maybe you should take them out for an hour a day or something to let your ears breathe, then gradually put them back in. I hope that helps!!

I was also going to suggest hypoallergenic earmolds but Deafdyke beat me to it! :)

What kind of earmolds do you have? If you have hard shell earmolds (also called Lucite), you may want to ask your audiologist to file down the edges so that they fit more comfortably in your ear.

When I wore hearing aids (I now have a CI) I used to have problems with ear infections and pain. I couldn't wear soft or standard hard shell earmolds. Soft earmolds were too painful for me to wear and I'm allergic to standard hard shell earmolds. My audi switched to hypoallergenic hard Lucite earmolds and I have had no problems since. In fact, they were so comfortable to wear that 95% of the time I didn't know I had them in.

Having said that, you'll have to ask your audiologist about the different types of earmolds to find one that feels comfortable to you.

Something else that may be helpful to you is a device called a "Dry & Store." This device removes moisture and bacteria from your hearing aids. It's a bit expensive, but if cost isn't a problem, you may find the investment worthwile.

Dry & Store:

http://www.dryandstore.com

Others here may have less expensive alternatives to the Dry & Store -- I can't think of any at the moment. :)

you mean like the hard shell earmolds like the old skool auditory trainers had?

Deafdyke: Ouch! :( No -- The hard shell earmolds I have are referred to as "skeleton" earmolds. I'm not quite sure how to describe them, but I'm sure you can find more information and/or an illustration if you do a Google search for "skeleton earmolds." I've always worn skeleton earmolds since I started wearing hearing aids 20 years ago and have never had a problem with discomfort. In fact, I find them more comfortable than soft earmolds (since I have small ear canals).

i dont have a clue what ones it is ive got. I had the small ones that go in the ear..but i was told if i had the ones that go behind the ear it might stop me gettin ear infections as it lets air in better...or something i cant remember. but whenever i try and wear it it still hurts the next day..i was told to wear it for a few minutes then build it up..but not even that works.i might have to ask next time i go to the hospital for a check up.i also have a metal bone in my ear but i dont think that would bother it to much..anyway thanx for ur advice..any more wud be greatfully appreciated.
Stacey :bye:

Oh, wait....I think I know the ones you're talking about.....I have very small ear canals too (well essentailly NO ear canals at least on the inside....same with Naj!)
So you also remember the hard shell auditory trainer molds? I remember they felt like glass or something.....

Deafdyke: Yes I remember auditory trainers (although I never used one when I was in school) and I know what kind of earmolds you're talking about. I wonder how kids could keep them in their ears for more than 5 minutes? :)

psychstaceyUK: Your audiologist may be right about BTE (behind the ear) hearing aids reducing (or eliminating) ear infections. Many BTE aids use an earmold that gives your ear canal room to breathe. When your ear is blocked by an ITE (in the ear) or CIC (completely in the canal) hearing aid (or full shell earmold), there is a greater likelihood of infection and wax buildup. The next time you see your audiologist, you may want to ask him/her if you can switch to BTE aids.

You might feel better knowing that you're not alone -- earmold problems are the #1 complaint of hearing aid users. :(

I hope you're able to find hearing aids and/or earmolds that are more comfortable for you! :)

(although I never used one when I was in school) and I know what kind of earmolds you're talking about. I wonder how kids could keep them in their ears for more than 5 minutes?
LUCKY! I was forced to use an auditory trainer, and HATED it! I love this forum.....talking about growing up dhh and our shared experiances! I really don't remember how i dealt with wearing those earmolds....that was almost fifteen years ago that I wore one....told my parents that I'd NEVER use one again!

Oh almost forgot...... you're in the UK aren't you? Try going to a private audi or a large center based audi like at a school for the deaf or another place that would have expertise in this area!

I have got the BTE hearing aid.but i still get the same problem. I think i might have to talk to my audiologist again about it. i also have two scars behind that ear..so it can sorta be painful wearin my hearin aid. Its just annoyin that ive got a hearin aid and cant wear it coz i keep gettin ear infections.
anyway thanks for the advice.
Stacey

Stacey: Try placing a piece of moleskin on your ear where your scars are. That may help reduce some of the pain.

Deafdyke: LOL! Back in school my hearing loss wasn't at the point where I needed to use an auditory trainer. My hearing loss didn't really begin to affect me until I was 15. At that time I received my first pair of hearing aids (Oticon BTEs) for a moderately-severe loss.

The first time I used an FM system (a Comtek) was in 1995. I *loved* the thing because of how well it helped me hear in noise. Once I was able to purchase one of my own, I brought it with me everywhere. :)

I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss at age 3. Hearing aids and ear surgery were recommended at this time but because my parents' health insurance wouldn't cover the cost (for reasons I do not know), I had to go without. I was also blind, so more emphasis was placed on accomodating that issue instead of my hearing loss. I'm lucky my hearing loss was as mild as it was (mild to moderate from age 3-14) because if it were severe or profound, I don't know how I would have functioned without hearing aids.

I can still remember all of my ear doctors recommending that I get hearing aids and asking my parents every year why I didn't have them.

Sometimes I wonder what my hearing would be like today if I had ear surgery and/or hearing aids back then. I don't like to dwell on the past, but it's still interesting to think about how different my life would be if I didn't have moderate-severe HL in my teens and severe-profound loss in my 20's. :)

i wash my scar and put cream on it...but it took the hospital over 3 yrs to tell me this. and then they blamed me for havin a sore scar.
Hearing Again.. i have had about 3/4 ops to try and improve my hearing. believe me it doesnt always work. As now my hearin is gettin worse. and i have 2 scars behind my left ear. Last yr my hospital decided i needed gromits to drain the fluid off from behind my right ear drum instead they put a tube in...now loud noises hurt my right ear(tho i cant hear very well in my left ear).
The tube hadnt even been in 10 months and it has now fallen out of place...it was supposed to last 2 yrs.
do i have to speak to my audiologist or my consultant about my hearing aid? :dunno:

Stacey: Wow...you've certainly been through alot haven't you? :( I'm sorry your hearing isn't getting any better. Talking to your audiologist again might be a good idea. Is he/she aware of the surgeries you've had? What kind of hearing loss do you have? (conductive, mixed, sensorineural) There may be other options for you besides hearing aids such as the BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid), MEI (middle ear implant) or cochlear implant (CI). I'm really sorry you've been struggling with this and I hope you're able to find something that works for you. :)

Hearing Again: yes my audiologist does understand about my ops. i had a tumour removed from my left year when i was 13. the tumour had ate away at the bone...so i ended up with no bone.last yr i had an op to put in a metal bone. i am more deaf in my left ear then my right. but my right is slowly gettin worse. i get ear infections really easily in my left ear. even if its windy and i dont have a hat on or cotton wool in my ear i can get an ear infection. i just hope i can wear my hearin aid without gettin an ear infection. As my hearin in my left ear is gettin worse i will need to start wearin my hearin aid soon. at xmas i had 2 ear infections within 6 weeks. i was just wonderin weither anyone else has had this problem aswell?
any more advice wud be appreciated. Many thanks for the replies.

Stacey: When I was a child I used to have frequent ear infections. (This was one of the reasons I lost my hearing.) Whenever I had an ear infection I was prescribed antibiotics. I also had tubes put in my ears, but they didn't help. Fortunately I outgrew the problem and now only experience an ear infection every 1-2 years.

You mentioned having a tumor removed. Do you know if this tumor was an "acoustic neuroma?" If it was and you have severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss, I wonder if you would benefit from an auditory brainstem implant (ABI)? ABIs are similar to cochlear implants (CIs) except that instead of stimulating the auditory nerve the way CIs do, ABIs stimulate the cochlear nucleus along the brainstem.

I hope I'm not scaring you away with terminology. :) I'm just trying to find some solutions that may help. <smile>

wow, it's good to know that Im not the only one having this sort of problem. I HATE wearing my HAs because they rub my ears raw. My husband has been on my case to get new one's cuz he says Im making the neighbors go deaf too by blasting the tv, stereo, etc. However, my husband has the BTE HAs and they always rub his ears raw when he first gets them too. He ends up filing them down himself rather than take the time to go back to the audiologist.

Back