'We love our school.' More than a thousand show support for NCSD

Judge Terror

Reaction score
MORGANTON --

“We love our school,” said Rebecca Carson, a student at the North Carolina School for the Deaf. “Please don’t close it.”

These simple but powerful words from an elementary school student were echoed countless times Tuesday night at CoMMA as the N.C. Department of Public Instruction heard reasons to keep NCSD open.

More than a thousand community members showed their support at the first of three forums set to discuss the upcoming consolidation of two of the state’s three special needs schools – NCSD, the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf in Wilson and the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh.

The forum, which started at 5:30 p.m., was held to help DPI decide which of the three schools to close. The N.C. General Assembly during the budget process this year expressed concern about the effectiveness of the schools and mandated a consolidation to save $5 million.

State lawmakers and city officials came out in droves to show their support and continued effort to keep the school in Morganton.

Mayor Mel Cohen was among the advocates to save the school. He said this was not the first time he’s had to fight for NCSD.

“Any move to close NCSD will be a terrible mistake,” Cohen said. “This is the fourth time in 26 years as mayor that I’ve had to defend our school.”

Rep. Mitch Gillespie, R-85 District (McDowell and Burke), said closing the school would create turmoil in an already crippled community.

“This is going to have severe repercussions on this town and this community,” Gillespie said. “One of the things DPI said they were going to consider was the minimum impact on services. Moving this school will not have a minimum impact.”

Jerry Davis, vice president of marketing and public affairs of Blue Ridge HealthCare also showed his support during the forum, and had a strong message for the board.

“These are not statistics, these are people,” Davis said. “We need them to stay here. They are part of our family tree, part of our community. We can’t afford to have them leave, and they can’t afford to leave. We’ve got facilities and services set up specifically for them. This community has already adapted to their needs, and we want them to stay.”

Five current NCSD students, including Carson, addressed DPI during the forum, all of whom expressed their deep love for the school and campus.

“Before I came to this school I had no one to talk to in school, no one understood me,” said Katey Mayhue, president of the Student Government Association at NCSD. “This school changed my life. Please don’t close it, so that the other students here have the chance to get out of the school what I’ve gotten.”

Dayamarali Espinosa, vice president for the Student Government Association at NCSD, who is fluent in English, Spanish and American Sign Language, also spoke of how NCSD had changed her life.

“Before I came here I didn’t sign that well. This school has helped me learn so much and find so many friends,” Espinosa said. “Please don’t close our school.”

The forum didn’t just bring out the current students, but also the previous students of NCSD.

Carl Brooks, 1945 alumni of NCSD, said this was the sixth time he’s had to fight to keep NCSD in Morganton.

“Why do you keep trying to destroy deaf people and their lives?” he questioned the board. “This is a wonderful school that helps change the lives of so many young people who are struggling to survive. If it wasn’t for going to a school like NCSD in a town like Morganton, I wouldn’t have the job I currently have. I would be a janitor unable to make the kind of money that NCSD allowed me to.”

Parents of current NCSD students also spoke.

Fran Way, who brought her child to NCSD from New York when she was 4 years old, said no other school seemed to be able to meet her child’s specific needs. She said schools treated her like she was a danger to the other children. Her daughter is now 15 years old.

“I came to NCSD and the director said, ‘Let your child go eat lunch while we show you around the school,’” Way said. “The other schools acted like she was a danger. I said, ‘No. You don’t understand. She could hurt someone,’ and the director told me to let her eat lunch. I knew the school was different. They’ve taught her so much about living and exposed her to so much culture. This is her home, our home.”

Of the 43 people signed up to speak during the forum, the board only had time to hear 30.

At the end of the public comments segment, DPI announced the plans for the consolidation and coming months ahead.

The plan for this month is to hold the three forums, Tuesday’s for NCSD, another Thursday at the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf in Wilson, and the third at the Governor Morehead School for the Blind on Sept 28.

Between October and November the Core Committee for DPI will review input and draw up a report. DPI is then slated to submit the report to the State Board of Education.

In December the board is expected to take action on the report.

In January, a decision will have been made and DPI will submit the report to the Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee of the General Assembly. This report is due by Jan. 15.

By July, one of the three schools will have been consolidated.

In addition to the public forums, NCDPI will accept public input from an online survey. To take the survey, visit North Carolina Public Schools and click on the appropriate link under “News.”

Wonderful to read about all the support for NCSD!!!....Nothing but so many, many fond memories there...beautiful campus, great teachers....My cheerleading days, basketball & track, Vocational Workshop, where I learned to be a Printer (teletypist/linotypist)...so many more in remembrance.....

Back