Washington DC Bubble ?

As a former lifelong Washingtonian, I would agree there is a bubble. The housing prices are insane and getting like those of Silicon Valley in its heyday. Affordable housing is far away from the main city at least an hour away and often more. The traffic just plain stinks and boggles my mind.

It will cycle into a downturn at some point as it has in the past. I think the interest rate increases would do the trick...but somewhere along the line it will happen. Nobody believed that the internet bubble would burst and it finally did when reality showed up.

I heard from friends there that houses stopped selling about a year ago. The prices are out of control there. In some locations a 1-bedroom condo will go for $700,000!!!

I adore the area, traffic be damned. It's the cost of living that makes me not want to move there, though. :(

I agree with you all, its sooo insane!! I love DC but there's NO WAY I can afford to live there!

Yeah. Any ideas why did these housing prices gone insane ? ugh

Last edited:
I guess I should give up on my silly idea to move there.

Y said:
Yeah. Any ideas why did these housing prices gone insane ? ugh

A couple of ideas...in no particular order...

1) Jobs, jobs, jobs

2) In general, higher income levels all around

3) Insane traffic has put a premium on homes closer to DC

4) A great many amenities in the area

On another note altogether, the insane housing market is what drove my family and I out of the area nearly a decade ago.

guido said:
I guess I should give up on my silly idea to move there.

Silly idea ? That would depend on where are you from...

Excuse me for being off topic.. if u don't mind,
how did you ever come with your avatar ?

I find it very unique but still could not figure out it's meaning...
:D

sr171soars said:
A couple of ideas...in no particular order...

1) Jobs, jobs, jobs

2) In general, higher income levels all around

3) Insane traffic has put a premium on homes closer to DC

4) A great many amenities in the area

On another note altogether, the insane housing market is what drove my family and I out of the area nearly a decade ago.

Yeah, additionally White House have an effect to this, too...

Hope you like where you're currently located at...

Y said:
Yeah, additionally White House have an effect to this, too...

Hope you like where you're currently located at...

Yep, I was going to mentioned that Wash DC is the Rome of the day too.

Oh, we absolutely love it in Raleigh NC. The area is having its own growth issues but nothing like DC at the moment. I would say Raleigh is where DC was some 30 years ago...

sr171soars said:
Oh, we absolutely love it in Raleigh NC. The area is having its own growth issues but nothing like DC at the moment. I would say Raleigh is where DC was some 30 years ago...

oh really, I am sorry that I am NOT even sure
about what do u mean "Raleigh is where DC
was some 30 years ago" ? Scratching my head ...

Y said:
Silly idea ? That would depend on where are you from...

Excuse me for being off topic.. if u don't mind,
how did you ever come with your avatar ?

I find it very unique but still could not figure out it's meaning...

I am from Tennessee, but it has been suggested to me that I should consider attending Gallaudet's hearing undergraduate program. If I were to move, I'd be looking for a transfer with my current job, which I'm sure wouldn't be nearly sufficient enough to live off of.

As for my avatar.... I don't recall where I got it from, but I really like it. :D

guido said:
I am from Tennessee, but it has been suggested to me that I should consider attending Gallaudet's hearing undergraduate program. If I were to move, I'd be looking for a transfer with my current job, which I'm sure wouldn't be nearly sufficient enough to live off of.

As for my avatar.... I don't recall where I got it from, but I really like it. :D

oh I LOVE Tennessee Perhaps we ought to trade our places

Y said:
oh really, I am sorry that I am NOT even sure
about what do u mean "Raleigh is where DC
was some 30 years ago" ? Scratching my head ...

Ah...I see the trouble. I meant to say that Raleigh as it stands today is very similar to how DC looked some 30 even 40 years ago. Meaning Raleigh will eventually have similar troubles as DC has in the next several decades as people have finally discovered this place and it is growing rapidly.

Hope that makes sense...

sr171soars said:
Ah...I see the trouble. I meant to say that Raleigh as it stands today is very similar to how DC looked some 30 even 40 years ago. Meaning Raleigh will eventually have similar troubles as DC has in the next several decades as people have finally discovered this place and it is growing rapidly.

Hope that makes sense...

Yes, I understand your concern about its growth.

I recalled when I used to work for a research and development firm
where there were lots of superhighway advanced technologies being built
in Raleigh area much earlier than any other cities/towns.

Back