Vocational Rehab appointment

Abdurrafi

Reaction score
I am sure some of y'all have dealt with Voc rehab but my first appointment with them was yesterday. I was very nervous as I did not know anything about them. But they are going to help me get my hearing aids and also something like a Smartlink (though might not be that specifically) and are even going to help me with paying for school. I was very worried that I would nto be able to keep going to school due to funding issues but that has now been cleared up.
VR told me that I will get to pick what kind of hearing aids I want. My audiologist has already said I will need 2 BTE's but other then that I do not really know what kind I should get. Would love suggestions the only ones I know anything about are Starkey's.

there's lots of brands to choose from and we do have someone that uses a Smartlink or something that's pretty close to that model!

also our good friend Dixie wears Starkeys

First of all, its nice that they can help to cover your tuition. so do your best to do well in school. Keep communicating with VR then you are all good. :) I am curious. I notice most of you dont talk much about siemens. I wonder if siemens is good or bad.

see if you can do a trial run with a variety of hearing aids, that way you can get a feel for them and then get the set you like best or feel like will work best for you. VR is definitely very helpful with helping with hearing aids and college classes. Just don't do what I did and keep dropping out early on in the semester which will result in VR not wanting to help pay for the classes again... oops (I had a lot of problems dealing with my depression when I would try going to college, just blah).

Maybe do some browsing online, check out Phonak, Oticon, Starkeys, etc.. see if there are any hearing aids that appeal to you. And getting the Smartlink, good idea, should come in handy for college.

and a Smartlink might be in handy for me when my FM craps out on me in a few more years like my Campus did before I had the FM which I have now.

I am sure some of y'all have dealt with Voc rehab but my first appointment with them was yesterday. I was very nervous as I did not know anything about them. But they are going to help me get my hearing aids and also something like a Smartlink (though might not be that specifically) and are even going to help me with paying for school. I was very worried that I would nto be able to keep going to school due to funding issues but that has now been cleared up.
VR told me that I will get to pick what kind of hearing aids I want. My audiologist has already said I will need 2 BTE's but other then that I do not really know what kind I should get. Would love suggestions the only ones I know anything about are Starkey's.

You'll buy the limit of what they'll pay so go for the best if they have financial flexibility. Mass Rehab is broke so they have no money for people for just about anything - the only way you qualify for assistance in my state is to be living well below the poverty limit. Consider yourself lucky if they'll foot the bill for some services for you.

You'll buy the limit of what they'll pay so go for the best if they have financial flexibility. Mass Rehab is broke so they have no money for people for just about anything - the only way you qualify for assistance in my state is to be living well below the poverty limit. Consider yourself lucky if they'll foot the bill for some services for you.

I do live under the poverty line which may be why they are so willing to help me

I am curious what you mean by "financial flexibility"

I am curious what you mean by "financial flexibility"

If they're willing to offer you a decent amount for really good hearing aids, take advantage of that - the more high end they are, the more options you have. The cheaper the aids, the cheaper the sound will be and really annoying. I should know. I got Starkey Avail for $2,800. I'm now going to have to buy another pair that will be better for dealing with the public, TV, music, etc. I'm going for Widex Fusion 440, $2100 each....:eek3: You get what you pay for....

Laura

If they're willing to offer you a decent amount for really good hearing aids, take advantage of that - the more high end they are, the more options you have. The cheaper the aids, the cheaper the sound will be and really annoying. I should know. I got Starkey Avail for $2,800. I'm now going to have to buy another pair that will be better for dealing with the public, TV, music, etc. I'm going for Widex Fusion 440, $2100 each....:eek3: You get what you pay for....

Laura

Oh okay that makes since. I was talking to my audiology doc and she said if I decide tto go with phonak we would be looking at the Cassia or a type 3 aid. Not sure what type 3 actually means. But the Cassia looks nice from the website.

I'm glad VR allowed you to choose whichever HA you wanted. When I went through them, I had to take the only thing they would go for which was Beltone's Oto-Sonic.

Back