Very excited to have found you all!! *m*

lilraysofhope

Reaction score
I am not sure where I fit it but I have profound (90 db) loss in my left ear and moderate (50 db) in my right ear as a result of Meningitis as a child (30 years ago-WOW) I have always worn an aide in my right ear and gotten by (ALOT of lipreading) However, I am struggling these days at my job :( It is tough because I do not know sign, was completely mainstreamed My loss was rarely acknowleged and always felt like I had to pretend I was understanding/following and comfortable. Anyone else BTDT? What kind of jobs do not require me to actual hear??

I am looking at the Bone Anchored Hearing device for my left ear. Wondering if anyone else has any experience, thoughts about the procedure/ device?

Looking forward to getting to know you ALL!!!

I am not sure where I fit it but I have profound (90 db) loss in my left ear and moderate (50 db) in my right ear as a result of Meningitis as a child (30 years ago-WOW) I have always worn an aide in my right ear and gotten by (ALOT of lipreading) However, I am struggling these days at my job :( It is tough because I do not know sign, was completely mainstreamed My loss was rarely acknowleged and always felt like I had to pretend I was understanding/following and comfortable. Anyone else BTDT? What kind of jobs do not require me to actual hear??

I am looking at the Bone Anchored Hearing device for my left ear. Wondering if anyone else has any experience, thoughts about the procedure/ device?

Looking forward to getting to know you ALL!!!

:welcome:
Welcome to AD.. I know the feeling on pretending to hear and doing the typical nod. But here you don't have to pretend just be yourself and people are here to post and talk..

We have a lot of people here that may help you.. I did not learn to sign until 1989. I have looked into the MEI also. We have a couple of posters that has MEI.

Hope you enjoy AD...

Happy Posting

Thank you for the warm welcome! It is nice to *m*

feel like I am among friends :) By the way, what is MEI???

Hello there

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :) ....

Welcome, Lilray. All varieties of deafies are here, so you'll have no problem fitting in to one niche or another. I'm fairly new here, too, and it's been interesting, educational, and fun.

Welcome and enjoy the site,

I've been here about 6 or 8 weeks and have learned a lot and laughed a lot. It is a good place to meet people like yourself so you can learn and trade stories. I have 70db loss in the right ear and 75db loss in the left and wasn't allowed to get hearing aids as a kid so I got them on my own when I was 21. I am currently learning sign language using ASL American Sign Language and American Sign Language (ASL)Fingerspelling to help me and also I got some software called american sign language deluxe that I found on a link here on the website. As I learn I teach my husband and it makes it easier for me cause when I teach it, it makes me use it and it helps him cause we learn together. There are also sign language classes at the local community college here but I don't know if we can pay for the classes when they become available in the fall. Good luck on your journey!

have looked into the MEI also
. Ummm Babyblue, the MEI and the BAHA are two completely different things!
We have a lot of folks like you who basicly fell through the cracks, b/c "all a dhh kid needs is speech. ANything else is a "crutch".........
don;t even get me started on that!

Back