Ventura County sued for failing to hire deaf woman

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_13262711

The federal government is suing Ventura County for employee discrimination because it refused to hire a deaf woman.
The Justice Department says it filed the lawsuit on Thursday in Los Angeles federal court. It seeks unspecified damages.

The lawsuit claims the county violated the Americans with Disabilities Act in 2005 by failing to hire a woman as a children's social service worker even though she received high ratings during her first interview.

The Justice Department contends she was denied the job after a second interview because of her deafness. It says the woman has excelled in a similar job with Los Angeles County for 10 years.

A call for comment to an official in the county counsel's office wasn't immediately returned.

Deafness shouldn't be an issue but about the ability to do the job. If well qualified applicants are in the pool for a selection, and a deaf person is not selected doesn't mean because of a deafness issue.

Either this case is a legitimate one or case of sour grapes. Could this be the equivalent of yelling "racism!" when it never was?

Given the fact that the Justice Dept. has taken on the lawsuit, one can safely assume that this is a valid case of discrimination under the ADA. The Justice Dept. dismisses the vast majority of claims, and very few are ever instituted as lawsuits under the DOJ.

Deafness shouldn't be an issue but about the ability to do the job. If well qualified applicants are in the pool for a selection, and a deaf person is not selected doesn't mean because of a deafness issue.

Either this case is a legitimate one or case of sour grapes. Could this be the equivalent of yelling "racism!" when it never was?

Well, as much as I think that all deaf people should have a right to employment, many companies today will hire on a person's ability to do the job, rather than a person's disability.

I don't know but that is the right view sometimes, because how else do you want the economy to prosper...

Well, as much as I think that all deaf people should have a right to employment, many companies today will hire on a person's ability to do the job, rather than a person's disability.

I don't know but that is the right view sometimes, because how else do you want the economy to prosper...

that's what I tell people as part of encouragement. In a crude sense, I tell them that employer pays for result as long as you can deliver the result - regardless of age, gender, nationality, disability, etc. If you're that good, then they're more than willing enough to pay for anything to keep you. My dad always tell me to keep upgrading my skill and knowledge. The more skillful & knowledgeable you are, the higher your value is (as in salary).

that's what I tell people as part of encouragement. In a crude sense, I tell them that employer pays for result as long as you can deliver the result - regardless of age, gender, nationality, disability, etc. If you're that good, then they're more than willing enough to pay for anything to keep you. My dad always tell me to keep upgrading my skill and knowledge. The more skillful & knowledgeable you are, the higher your value is (as in salary).

:gpost:

I must admit, you only get paid what you are worth!

Back