Using relay service through AIM/YIM/MSN?

PurrfectGal

Reaction score
I normally use the java-based (web) relay service or VRS. However, now, I am finding that using java really slowed down my typing and I can't use backspace to fix my typos. I want to try using it through instant messengers such as AIM, YIM or MSN. However, I heard that a 3rd party can read your conversations using 'sniffers'. Is that true? Is there enough security to use it? Sometimes, my calls are very information-sensitive so I don't want any prying eyes.

*bump*

Since there are no replies to this post, I am going to assume that no one has had any bad experience using instant messenger based relay service. I will go ahead and use it without worry.

Thanks.

I normally use the java-based (web) relay service or VRS. However, now, I am finding that using java really slowed down my typing and I can't use backspace to fix my typos. I want to try using it through instant messengers such as AIM, YIM or MSN. However, I heard that a 3rd party can read your conversations using 'sniffers'. Is that true? Is there enough security to use it? Sometimes, my calls are very information-sensitive so I don't want any prying eyes.

purrfectgal- I do not want to make people afriad or confused or say SEE I TOLD YOU! Let me explain it this way - it can be done but only in a certain way. The easiest way I can explain it is think of your home. Lets say you have cable internet. It's connected to a router that shares internet connection with your computer, your lovers computer and the videophone. OK with me so far ? This is common with most deafies/HOH. Now, If your lover has the sniffer on their PC, they can sniff the conversation only within your home on your router connection only. Not outside the cable modem internet connection, outside of your home.

People have become so paranoid nowadays, there no reason for it. If your lover is not all that computer savvy, then nothing to worry about. Outside of your home, the chances are nil to none. it can be done, but not without alot of work and real computer geeks for revenge or something. So enjoy aiming on your computer without fear.

Back