Using Naughty Language

I completely agree with you too Radioman. I honestly believe that Deaf people thrive wanting to know more which inspires me to want to learn more about them, other people, and everything else this world has to offer.

I'd prefer it if people were more blunt in the hearing world but if people were more blunt, then more peoples' feelings might get hurt.

As my father always said, "Don't dish it out if you can't take it."

This quote has nothing to do with the topic of bluntness but it does provide a great rule of thumb for politeness.

So, let me ask. What is wrong with the words F*, GD, S*, B*? They're just SOUNDS, people. In fact, some parts or even most of a word is valid as a normal word in other languages. Just sounds...

:roll:

Of course, even without religion in the picture, it does have negative connotations in that it belittles or puts down a person and creates division. Though I think it's well-deserved at times. Like the F* bankers or the A-holes sending our military on military adventures.

Fortunately, I have my own language where I can cuss out loud, and no one can understand, read, nor write these words.

That was no empty threat when I was a child. As an eight year old, I had my mouth washed out with soap for speaking profanity within ear shot of my mother.

I thought I was smart when I managed to wrestle the bar of soap out of my mom's hands and threw it behind the bathtub....

...until she grabbed the liquid soap.

:barf:

The "F-U" word....not in my home....but it's happened and believe me, my boys got an ear full of my rage!...I see it all the time among teens everywhere I go, even the grocery store....

I/ve always grounded my boys for infractions such as this, and taken away things they enjoy playing with (electronics, guitar, etc.), for several weeks, even more....

Raising teenagers, hearing or deaf...is not an easy job.....and we can only do the best we can do.

in this day and age of "F U" being such a common place exchange of insult, so crude and vulgar *excuse me Mimsy lol* and in the age where media's rating is somewhat a cultural scoreboard if you will, like the more swearing in British fillms have for insults, the "better it is" (and we know its not true) and on the other side of the Alantic, the swearing is seen more about "right timing to threat" or proof of victory, american onel-linears is not subtle, and oftentimes it just to add colour to an otherwise really boring story. British films, by contrast is the culture of oppression and depression, whereas the America film is the culture of denial and justice. Ask yourself this, how often do you see British films depicts glorious cop action? you never do, im not sure why, maybe its the regulation over there which prevents it from being released into the media??
just my observation.

now back to swearing...
on raising teenagers i think its a good idea to ask why, do they want to swear, and its a good idea to explain the "F U" is really a mark of defeat from society's set-up that constricted your freedom to a 'better life', you see. people got miserable, in a similar way to the British reactons to the stifled materialist access which manifesated from cultural oppression, and at same time 'Its fashionable' to say F U because media have depicted this tactic to seem very successful, to which in a way TV/movies 'promises' the audience if they 'say this in the right time' the triumph will come their way' yes ridiculous, and it IS ridiculous...
my own idea of all this is, like people are unhappy, bored so when ann unfavourable situation arise, - automatic response to utter "F U" is somewhat used to gain power.

and to add to the insult from the media to audience,
media 'have won' to dumb down people even more...dumbing down people to use less imagination is also about robbing their potential to be better than they are now, so hence it keeps people chasing their own tails by removing the focus on moving up, but to utter insults for sake of coping with 'not being able to move' in society.

its bad, and its very like a mass social death. F U seems alive on screen this is because it is placed to fit in an more interesting story (of the film) whereas in real life, nothing is interesting, so using colourful language is 'thought to make life more interesting.

(akhem sorry if some of you might disagree but restrain yourself here, im only phrasing this to make a point)

anyway so before I stop now, the whole point of this post is, to say not only you have to challenge the young ones on the use of colourful words, but also i think youd have more success if you can provide a perspective on why people use it so often and why its 'popular', to give them something to think about...and you wont win them over straight away...its alot like catching them smoking and that one lecture isnt going to stop them...educating and challenges takes time but do it good, and cool BE a FRIEND (punishment might not be working, try something different for once or twice then revert back) see what happens...dont ignore it though, ..hmmm id let ya think of something different to do than snatching toys off, like be more influential, as it might do more...
...get a different kind of respect...the one that they will see you as freind than enemy...and will follow you more...

Like everyone here says in their own perspectives on how to be a parent... or already are. I am a father of four kids from age 7 to 15.. three ofthem are in their double digits.

When their horomoes hit, they get confused, smart-ass, smart-aleck, blond moments, and many more.. they attempt to outsmart their parent without realizing or when they knew what they are doing while they think they were "about" always right. They seek battle on words or trouble. It is similar to a terrible two/three testing what is right or wrong. As a parent, it is up to the parent to stand their ground, ignore or laugh it out... every family have their own theory, emotion, rules and methods on how to discipline their own child. It also varities on every culture and time period.

For one example, I refuse to let my children socialize with people who can not control their "mouths" when it comes to foul language and my family. Because my kids know I forbid them to use it in my house. I told them I know they use these words but it is not acceptable and improper... because I believe in proper manners, behavior and good habits, bah bah.. so my kids respected that. My kids have witnessed me asking friends or strangers politely not to use the language around my family. Punishment are all similar to everyone... depending on how serious it is... punishment goes with that. Every parent has similar ruling on that situation but not exactly same.

That kind of rule goes same with how they dress, how and when to use proper manner wherever we go to eat, talk and more. While some families just do it little differently or way open with lots of understanding.. any word is fine with them while it is not with other families. What is the difference between deaf and hearing families? ONE which is on how they communicate is by hand or voice or both.

in this day and age of "F U" being such a common place exchange of insult, so crude and vulgar *excuse me Mimsy lol*

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I need to explain why I voted you "most vulgar" and what it means to me. When I was little and learning to speak English, there were kids who told me the F word and wanted me to say it to my parents. I didn't know it was a curseword. So when I said it to my parents I remember my mother putting her hand over my mouth and saying Oh my God oh my God what did my baby just say!!! By her reaction, I thought I said something bad about God. So I asked her e 'un peccato? That means is this a sin? She said "no, it's not a sin, è volgare, it's vulgar".

So whenever I hear the F word, I think VULGAR :giggle:, and I noticed it in some of your posts, so you win the prize. But it's ok, because it isn't a sin.:naughty::laugh2:

Back