Update - no more Mrs. Nice Girl!

awesome attitude Ryancher!

Faire_jour...I know several people diagnosed with APD and hearing loss.

I for one have a SPD...which is more broad than APD alone.

I have hearing loss and autism. They are not mutually exclusive either. So don't discount the possibility that they are correct in an autism diagnosis.

I know more than one person who have both.

I do know it can be hard to accurately tell what the cause of a spoken language delay is.
It could be apraxia (what we call dyspraxia), CP, mild autism or even just a learning disabilty. A significent number of kids with LDs are late speakers.
Do your boys have any other mild issues besides the severe speech delay? There is a chromosome abnormality called 18p- syndrome (missing a part of the 18th chromosome) which very often presents as a severe speech delay a la CP/apraxia/LD.
It might be worth it to get them tested for that. Especially since the severe speech delay is familial....it could be genetic.

I had a significant speech delay and have LD...have also spoken with audi <who is familiar with CAPD and can test for it> about potential CAPD with me and she said that is possible to have CAPD as well as a hearing loss. My uncle also has CAPD and hearing loss.

See, and I was told by a pediatric neuropsychologist who specializes in deaf and hard of hearing children that ALL people with hearing loss have processing issues, but they are directly related to hearing loss. And since you can not separate what would be caused by a hearing loss and what would be occurring in the brain, it impossible to dx someone with a hearing loss as having a processing disorder.

How can you say that the processing issue is caused by a processing disorder if the person is clearly not hearing? Not hearing means already having a processing deficit, because you are not getting 100% of the message. Of course you can't receive the message 100%, you weren't given 100% of the content!!

I was told that because dxing a processing disorder requires that someone have normal hearing (to fit the criteria of the diagnosis), a person with a hearing loss can't be given that "label". (But yes, they will have processing issues)

FWIW

So, how can they diagnose then?

I want to make sure it's not a disorder and implant and it not be sucessful.

Wirelessly posted

ryancher said:
So, how can they diagnose then?

I want to make sure it's not a disorder and implant and it not be sucessful.

there is no way to know if the implant will be successful, but the rate of "hearing improvement" is greater than 90% i believe.

there are varying levels of "success" with a ci. For example, when we implated miss kat we wanted to stop her loss progression- that was a measure of success for us. Our other goal was for her to turn to her name (she had lost that with her aids)- we got that too, therefore, she was a successful ci user.

how do you define "successful ci"?

A successful ci for Tyler would be a true without a doubt response that he understands when we speak - head turn, sign response, oral response, etc... We are so up in the air right now... we have no idea what he hears and what he doesn't. Sometimes I wonder if he turns because of movement, periphal, etc...

I want a definete sign that our voices are being heard.

If he chooses to sign as a response, great. If he chooses to speak as a response, great. I just want an accurate and appropriate response!

Wirelessly posted

ryancher said:
A successful ci for Tyler would be a true without a doubt response that he understands when we speak - head turn, sign response, oral response, etc... We are so up in the air right now... we have no idea what he hears and what he doesn't. Sometimes I wonder if he turns because of movement, periphal, etc...

I want a definete sign that our voices are being heard.

If he chooses to sign as a response, great. If he chooses to speak as a response, great. I just want an accurate and appropriate response!

hear or understand?

I'd love both hearing and understanding!
And how he chooses to respond can be his choice... although I will still promote both.

I'd love both hearing and understanding!
And how he chooses to respond can be his choice... although I will still promote both.

Do you understand that if he is able to hear you and understand you he will speak to you?

It isn't like he will stubbornly choose ASL>

So really you are saying you want him to be a hearing child.

Wirelessly posted

right bott! If he hears and understands, why would he choose to sign back?

that level of functioning, to hear and understand fluent, running speech, is the highest possible level of functioning with a ci.

you son, even if he was implanted tomorrow, would be called "late implanted". The likelyhood that he would catch up to hearing peers is low. He is many years behind and only getting further behind.

Do you understand that if he is able to hear you and understand you he will speak to you?

It isn't like he will stubbornly choose ASL>

So really you are saying you want him to be a hearing child.

A CI can't make someone a hearing child, but it can provide a deaf child with access to sound. What the child can do with that sound varies.

I know children with CIs who prefer ASL, just as I know children with CIs who prefer to speak. There can be a complex set of variables that drive a child in one direction or another. Achieving equal access and value of two languages is not easy, but it is possible.

Wanting access to sound doesn't mean you DON'T want to communicate with ASL, they are not mutually exclusive. You can have a happy, healthy deaf child, fluent in both ASL and a spoken/written language who is able to communicate with ease with those who are hearing and those who are deaf.

A CI can't make someone a hearing child, but it can provide a deaf child with access to sound. What the child can do with that sound varies.

I know children with CIs who prefer ASL, just as I know children with CIs who prefer to speak. There can be a complex set of variables that drive a child in one direction or another. Achieving equal access and value of two languages is not easy, but it is possible.

Wanting access to sound doesn't mean you DON'T want to communicate with ASL, they are not mutually exclusive. You can have a happy, healthy deaf child, fluent in both ASL and a spoken/written language who is able to communicate with ease with those who are hearing and those who are deaf.

True. BUt the mother here says she wants to have him understand her speaking and then respond. It would be different if she was willing to use ASL as the communication if he could not understand her speech

Wirelessly posted

of course grendel! We were just remarking that if a child with a ci may not ever reaching "understanding running spoken language" and that would be the highest level of functioning. Also, a person who understands all spoken language through listening with a ci wouldn't generally answer back in asl.

True. BUt the mother here says she wants to have him understand her speaking and then respond. It would be different if she was willing to use ASL as the communication if he could not understand her speech

I see, yes -- that's an important distinction.

We went into the decision to get a CI for Li with low expectations, already secure in the knowledge that she was rapidly growing very comfortable with ASL as a primary communication method and therefore not desperate for the CI as a life preserver, her 'only chance at language,' which I suspect it can feel like for someone who isn't considering sign. There can be a lot of pressure on that little device, and on that little child when looked at that way.

But yes, I do think it would be natural for the child to respond in kind: if spoken to, to speak back and if signed to, to sign back. Code switching seems to be a key part of developing bilingually. Sounds like a good thing rather than a concern.

Wirelessly posted

of course grendel! We were just remarking that if a child with a ci may not ever reaching "understanding running spoken language" and that would be the highest level of functioning. Also, a person who understands all spoken language through listening with a ci wouldn't generally answer back in asl.

Yes!

One exception: if that child happens to know the speaker is more comfortable signing . Li has no apparent preference for speaking over signing -- but she seems to know intuitively and can code switch back and forth from sign to speech in the same conversation with both a native signer and a native speaker, even if both are signing to her (she just knows which one is more comfortable speaking. Or signing.

Back