United States of Narcissism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Narcissism is very very evident with all those people getting rich by these ridiculous reality shows...Jersey Shore, anyone?

I have a hypothetical question for you. Suppose you have a guy- we'll call him Tom- who volunteers several hours a week to help the poor and needy and donates, say, 10% of his income to charity. He also votes conservative because he believes leftist policies fall far short of their promises and often serve to make problems worse. On the other hand, Tom's neighbor, Jake, is a leftist who believes in government redistribution policies and votes for leftists, but he rarely volunteers to help others or donates to charity. Which one, in your opinion, is more selfish and which one cares more about the common good?

They are equally incongruent. That is the problem with "hypothetical" scenarios. They are extremely unlikely to ever occur in real life, and are simply a way to distract from the real issues.

I have a hypothetical question for you. Suppose you have a guy- we'll call him Tom- who volunteers several hours a week to help the poor and needy and donates, say, 10% of his income to charity. He also votes conservative because he believes leftist policies fall far short of their promises and often serve to make problems worse. On the other hand, Tom's neighbor, Jake, is a leftist who believes in government redistribution policies and votes for leftists, but he rarely volunteers to help others or donates to charity. Which one, in your opinion, is more selfish and which one cares more about the common good?
This question isn't just for Alex. Anyone else want to give their opinion?

I think that the only way for everyone is to stop using the credit cards ...or prefer to ban the cards. That would change everything to make things much better definitely. I can't believe that we are still using our credit cards with same credit card companies for years. How can we pay off the bills fast and then cut our cards? I NEVER use the companies' credit card checks in the mail because of the fine prints.

See where we're going? Any reply would come from a sense of narcissism.
No, I'm really not following you there, but you've already responded which means, per your logic, that you've already a narcissist. You got nothing to lose, so we might as well just continue.

No, I'm really not following you there, but you've already responded which means, per your logic, that you've already a narcissist. You got nothing to lose, so we might as well just continue.

:lol:

Good point. But to what end? Soon the pleasure of responding will cease, and where does that leave us? Does it really matter? Is it a case of once being a narcissist, always being one, much like an alcoholic?

:lol:

Good point. But to what end? Soon the pleasure of responding will cease, and where does that leave us? Does it really matter? Is it a case of once being a narcissist, always being one, much like an alcoholic?
I disagree with your whole premise. I don't think talking about this makes us narcissists. I'm just interesting in having a philosophical conversation about who cares more, Jake or Tom. If you're interested in that, then let's discuss it already. If not, that's fine.

I disagree with your whole premise. I don't think talking about this makes us narcissists. I'm just interesting in having a philosophical conversation about who cares more, Jake or Tom. If you're interested in that, then let's discuss it already. If not, that's fine.

So, your interests are what are guiding the nature of the discussion? As I said earlier, thanks for demonstrating the narcissistic attitude that the OP was referring to.:laugh2:

So, your interests are what are guiding the nature of the discussion? As I said earlier, thanks for demonstrating the narcissistic attitude that the OP was referring to.:laugh2:
Thank you for your opinion, jillio.

I lived with some like that, my ex brother! He does not give a shit about anyone!
one of my trustees was like that, everyone is happy he moved. Finlay hated him too!

WTF does that have to do with anything? There are always exceptions to the rule. I am talking about conservative MENTALITY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back