Unfriendly/Snobbish People

netrox, nancy is not like you and everyone is different. Some people may cares some people dont. For one thing, I dont care if it a small problem such as snob people and yes I would just pretend nothing happen and walk away. BUT if something so bad happen in the way such as if it affect my job which that I cant ignore then I would stand up just like katize says. Sometimes it may make them feel it little or big offense to them in some ways. IT just how different they handle their problems. I am sure nancy is curiously how we handle our similar problems with hers. I am sure she didnt ask for negative reactions like you just replied. Simple say YOU dont care about what other people says or acting like snob to YOU which would be a better answer would it?

For example: I work at food store as file clerk which I have to work on the main floor doing tags, I have lot of customers come up ask me for something they are look for. Sometimes I do understand what they say but when I dont understand and I told them that I am sorry I am deaf and you can go ask at the front end in polite way. If there one employee near me I take them to that employee. Lot of times when I say I am deaf they say OH I am sorry walk away try find other person. I say to myself in my mind say Okay whatever...Sometimes it bother me but there nothing I can do about that. I rather not stand up tell them off say or feel sorry for my deafness because it can ruin my job or lose my job. As you see IF nancy face a employee or customer who is snob or being rude (depend on how rude) that would affect the job (or where ever that happen) may need to do something like talk to boss and see if could get help change the way one employee behaves...Some Jobs do take evaluation on employees include the bosses. I just had one evaluated on me and ask me to sign it yesterday at work. Everything seem good on my evaluation. They will ask one of employee to evaluate other on their job include behaviors like do they treat customer right or offer the help to customers blah blah...

that my 2 cents ;)

netrox said:
Nancy...Nancy... does it ever occur to you that she doesn't like you? Deal with it. What's your issue? You want everyone to like you?

-jeff

Geeze Jeff, did you have to be that harsh?... :|

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through there Nancy :hug:, If this woman has an issue with you, then ignore her, she's not the type of person you rather to know or hang out with, if you tried your part by being nice and she doesn't appreciate your kindness toward her, then she is the one with the problem not you...You have other people to be around with that are more kinder than she is....Forget her, she not worth your time hon!

last year, I had a deaf paraprofessional who was very rude to me and he gave me the food that I didn't want to eat. He also interfered my interpreter by asking her what to write down. it was very tough, because he was deaf and he went to ASD (school for the deaf in Hartford)

Then the school hired other paraprofessional and she had spiky hair. She was very RRRRRUUUUDDDDDDDEEEEE and unfriendly to me and other people. She yelled really loud in my English class then my interpreter got very upset and she started telling her to STOP YELLING at me. In all classes, Susan A (paraprofessional) only played with her spiky hair and didn't care about my deafness. She also changed her hair to orange, purple, and red. yucky!

High school was the most dense population of snob people who look down at me because I was Deaf. The irony was that 75% of them were my best friends in elementary school and/or middle school.. then the peer pressure and "popularity" struck them and they realized that Deaf was not cool in High School and they shunned me. I was glad it happened because if I stuck with them, I won't be who I am today-- I would be a blonde bimbo who went goo-ey over every surfer dude walking by.

College was much better. There are people who are perplexed by the fact that a Deaf person can get around the campus without an aid or interpreter tagging along but none of them are "snobby".

Within my workplace, there is a gossip about a man who works across from the "Deaf office" who is snobby toward Deaf ppl because he is ashamed that he soon will join us-- he is losing his hearing and may be forced to learn ASL because hearing aids won't save his hearing. He always act cold and never smile as I walked by smiling in the hallway. It doesn't bother me because my boss had warned me about him so I just feel nonchalantly about him.

[Trying to think other palces, people, etc where I have encountered harsh attitudes]....
Nopie, high school was the number one. I can give you a list of snob people, but that is because they are spoiled rich brats and don't know how to live in the REALITY. :)

It is their ignorance and immaturity that affect them to be not considerate of other people that are -different- from them. Or realize that their actions/words are affecting others.

Nancy...sorry to see you're dealing with this sort of rudeness from a fellow worker and it's indeed very inappropriate of her. Like Liza and others have pointed out with good advices and suggestions, perhaps you could approach this lady, preferably with some other co-worker and simply ask her for the reasons behind her actions that she shows toward you--. Her responses will either be negative, cutting you off abruptly, cutting you down, etc., OR she'll be dumbfounded that you have the courage to 'face' her, questioning her attitude she has with you....;)

Surely you don't need to have this sort of 'drama' in your workplace...ofc, there is usually a few 'rotten apples' we all have to deal with in the workplace, for some, it'll be absolved or simply do the best one can to 'ignore' the person(s) who may be getting in one's skin...in your case, I do wish you all the best and hope that things will get much better for you down the road soon!! Hang in there and just keep your chin up--. :thumb:

Thank you all for your advices. :) I appreciate them very much. :) Just like Shiva said, I didn't ask for negetive reactions like Netrox's....but just wondering how you guys handled people like this lady. I was also wondering how people can be so rude....this lady is over 55 years old so maybe she couldn't handle a person who is different (deafness) as some Seniors are? I don't work directly with her but I do give her reports at work. I did my part in being kind to her but I agree, it's her problem with her actions....so I will just let it go. :) She probably didn't like me but who cares...I didn't do anything to her. :)

and ya know what Nancy? You're no better than her. You're a sweetheart :hug: and we all know it. Besides she has *borrowing Malfy's terms* major yeast infections. ;)

I didn't ask for negetive reactions like Netrox's....but just wondering how you guys handled people like this lady.

I don't think it is a negative reaction - you have to ask yourself why you're so upset over this ONE person - it's not like the world is against you and clearly it's not the case but no person is without enemies. She may not like you and you seem to have this idea that you HAVE to be liked. You made me think of Rose of the Golden Girls when Rose asked her roommates why her coworker doesn't like her.

You said: "I did my part in being kind to her but I agree, it's her problem with her actions....so I will just let it go... She probably didn't like me but who cares...I didn't do anything to her."

That's more like it. Remember, kindness must be FREE! You should not expect it in return from every person whom you gave.

-jeff

Oh dear, I say to myself when I read your posts, Nancy and Vampy...

I know how you feeling about snobbish and unfriendly people. I had been through out like this before. I can´t stand snobbish and arrogant people. It´s not only real life but forums, too.

I´m smart person and can deal with snobbish people and show them up.... :mrgreen:

Nancy, what you doing right and tried to be friendly to her. I would suggest you to write a note or talk to her telling her how you feel about her reaction. If it doesn´t work then leave her...

Nancy: While.. I agree with Jeff's previous post about no strings attached kindness, you have already recognized the lady is a viper towards you for unknown reasons. I do personally feel no one deserves a viper lurking around in a workplace, while we cannot control each other's action.. it won't hurt to find out what might be a positive direction for you in this situation hereafter.

If you have a human resources dept, it might won't hurt to ask them for their suggestions.. or... if you would prefer to find out more info on your own regarding this... this link IS for you! It deals with bullying in the workplace, mainly... identifying elements, what we can do afterwards etc etc.

http://www.bullyonline.org/

Good luck, Nancy! I'm thinking of you.

Katzie said:
and ya know what Nancy? You're no better than her. You're a sweetheart :hug: and we all know it. Besides she has *borrowing Malfy's terms* major yeast infections. ;)

LOL.. that's my Katziegirly and Malfygirly. :lol:

Roadrunner said:
... perhaps you could approach this lady, preferably with some other co-worker and simply ask her for the reasons behind her actions that she shows toward you--. Her responses will either be negative, cutting you off abruptly, cutting you down, etc., OR she'll be dumbfounded that you have the courage to 'face' her, questioning her attitude she has with you....;)

I had to laugh at this one.... good thinking. Those who behaves the way she does usually does not expect a lion/ess standing up to them! :popcorn:

Tousi said:
Nancy, if all else fails, tell her that you hope a horde of a thousand fleas will invade her left armpit! :mrgreen:

Nice, Tousi, nice. LOL Remind me to never to cross you either. :fingersx:
*covers my left arm*

EvilGurl666 said:
Sounds like my sister too!!! She's the oldest in the family and I am the baby and I have one brother. My sister wil get mad at me if I do anything good that makes mom proud of me it seems like she always have to in the center of the attention. Arghhhh sisters are a bitch!!!!!!!! But I totally get along with my brother we never fight besides I am the sister that he gets along well too he told me so himself! BUZZ OFF to those ANNOYING snobby sisters

EvilGurl, Deaf258, Vamp:

I, too, had my down's with my siblings.... we yelled at each other.. pinched each other... called each other horrible names.. and all the like.. but you know what? All that changed drastically after I decided to do something about it, and stop contributing to the problem... I treated them with kindness without strings attached (giving them advil with orange juice when they were sick, hugging them even if they forgot to tell mom you were waiting for hours at the airport, etc etc). That caught them off track.. and they got message... now we're all very good friends- we do a lot of good for each other without conditions, with no down's like all that sibling rivalry stuff... my brother's stationed in Kuwait, my other brother is teaching English in some island off Japan, and my sister is in Hawai'i working.

I do apologize if I had veered off topic... I wanted to give my input on siblings bullying, since it struck a chord with me.

Nancy said:
Thank you all for your advices. :) I appreciate them very much. :) Just like Shiva said, I didn't ask for negetive reactions like Netrox's....but just wondering how you guys handled people like this lady. I was also wondering how people can be so rude....this lady is over 55 years old so maybe she couldn't handle a person who is different (deafness) as some Seniors are? I don't work directly with her but I do give her reports at work. I did my part in being kind to her but I agree, it's her problem with her actions....so I will just let it go. :) She probably didn't like me but who cares...I didn't do anything to her. :)

just a tad bit of advise..

maybe she is going through MENOPAUSE??? ... cuz i have heard horror stories where women SNAPPED AND BECAME BITCHY ... could that be a possibility?? :roll:

Katzie said:
I can't stand people who are so superficial and stereotypical and there are some who are like that at my job. The difference with me is, I speak up to them becaused I don't put up with this. I work and do my damn job. What's not to appreciate? If you gotta say something, say it! If you want my help, say it! If you want to talk to me, talk to me. Don't rely on others to talk to me. I fookin hate that. They realize that I am human and ya know what? I got more respect from them at the end. Been working there for 8 years, but it took me few years to have the guts to speak up. Unfortunately, I get days where some people still act the same. :roll:

been there and done that!!! :hug:

netrox said:
Nancy...Nancy... does it ever occur to you that she doesn't like you? Deal with it. What's your issue? You want everyone to like you?

-jeff

why are you being insensitive? if you are going to be pessimistic, then i suggest for you to keep it to yourself... :D

FeistyChick said:
just a tad bit of advise..

maybe she is going through MENOPAUSE??? ... cuz i have heard horror stories where women SNAPPED AND BECAME BITCHY ... could that be a possibility?? :roll:

Nancy said that woman was nice to OTHERS. For some reason, the woman reserved her bitchiness for Nancy only.. :lol: Menopause? Probably. That or the infection Katzie suggests?

Back