Uncomfortable using interpreting services

lilybear

Reaction score
I've been thinking more and more about getting interpreters for classes and other functions but I'm beginning to learn ASL and even though I know enough signs to get by comprehension-wise... I'm still uncomfortable using interpreting services.

I know there are terps who do oralism and that might be what I'd use but I guess I'm fighting the feelings my parents drilled into my skull about going on in the world with independence... *sigh*

Also... am I supposed to pay for this? This is all so new... :dunno:

I understand situation difficult because uncomfortable because your ask boss or something new interpreter because I aware it quality on behavior and on respectful on people I Understand complication! that is not easy I know pretty complication!

I've been thinking more and more about getting interpreters for classes and other functions but I'm beginning to learn ASL and even though I know enough signs to get by comprehension-wise... I'm still uncomfortable using interpreting services.

I know there are terps who do oralism and that might be what I'd use but I guess I'm fighting the feelings my parents drilled into my skull about going on in the world with independence... *sigh*

Also... am I supposed to pay for this? This is all so new... :dunno:

The school is responsible for paying for the terp, not you. And terps actually make you more independent, not less.

I see what you are saying jillio, the problem is probably from how I was raised... The fact that I am still struggling with the loss itself also makes me emotional when it comes to dealing with things like that.

I was supposed to get some counseling as well but no news from the organisation providing that for the past 3 weeks.

I see what you are saying jillio, the problem is probably from how I was raised... The fact that I am still struggling with the loss itself also makes me emotional when it comes to dealing with things like that.

I was supposed to get some counseling as well but no news from the organisation providing that for the past 3 weeks.

I'm from Montreal too. Go to Student Services and ask them. they have all the information about this sort of thing. I know when I was in University, they had all kinds of resources for HOH/deaf. Also, for things like FM systems, etc, go to the Mackay Center, they'll hook you up. They'll even give you things you didn't ask for! Like flashing light systems for doorbells, etc.

Those things help you gain independence, not lose it :)

I'm from Montreal too. Go to Student Services and ask them. they have all the information about this sort of thing. I know when I was in University, they had all kinds of resources for HOH/deaf. Also, for things like FM systems, etc, go to the Mackay Center, they'll hook you up. They'll even give you things you didn't ask for! Like flashing light systems for doorbells, etc.

Those things help you gain independence, not lose it :)

I'm doing an internship right now with evening classes so I'm limited when it comes to going to Student Services... They have my file though and I sent them an email asking about terps...

Mackay Center? That's the place I was talking about... 3 weeks without getting any news from them. [Still waiting for my flashing light system, alarm clock... etc! (In fact to wake up I have to strap my cellphone to my belly and put it on vibrate...-_-)]

I'm doing an internship right now with evening classes so I'm limited when it comes to going to Student Services... They have my file though and I sent them an email asking about terps...

Mackay Center? That's the place I was talking about... 3 weeks without getting any news from them. [Still waiting for my flashing light system, alarm clock... etc! (In fact to wake up I have to strap my cellphone to my belly and put it on vibrate...-_-)]

It can take time - it's the government paying for all of this so there's bureaucracy and paperwork to finalize. Don't worry, it won't be much longer. If you have a car and time, go to Mackay in person - they're not very good at answering emails.

Time? Foreign concept to me at the moment... I've been running around like a headless chicken for the past month.

Back