Uk's First cochlear implant operation to give sound in both ears

How can they claim this to be an innovation? It seems to me that this is just a CI version of bi-cross hearing aids looking at the photo of the device.

And I won't want these dumb wires across the back of my neck. Sorry.

And why would I want only 12 electrodes on both sides when I could have 22 electrodes (if one went with Cochlear) using two separate implants instead?

Looks like a complete step backwards to me.

Phi4Sius,

I would agree with you on this. The main reason for this innovation is to help reduce the cost in countries where bilateral implants are restricted to cost constraints, such as the UK for example.

How can they claim this to be an innovation? It seems to me that this is just a CI version of bi-cross hearing aids looking at the photo of the device.

And why would I want only 12 electrodes on both sides when I could have 22 electrodes (if one went with Cochlear) using two separate implants instead?

Is part of the cost factor re Cochlear Implant- the operation to install the internal processor? Are we missing something here?

This operation requires just one internal processor for both ears. The internal processor will have two electrode arrays, one for each ear.

Is part of the cost factor re Cochlear Implant- the operation to install the internal processor? Are we missing something here?

Not being a surgeon-wouldn't a "Larger" internal processor " take up much more space" in one's skull? Is this really an advantage? Interesting to find out the results. I will ask at Sunnybrook/Toronto if this is being considered here?

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

plus if it fails both ears are out of comission until re-implant. Another negative...

Agreed but maybe in the future might develop a wireless to connect without wire. I dunno.

I suppose they have a way to map for the differences of both ears, right?

Back