Trying to use PC to call TTY

cgswss

Reaction score
I am trying to call my brother on his tty from my computer. I have installed nextalk.net and it seems to be working. I have tried several times to call and it says the phone is picked up but all I ever get is a "T".

Is there any sort of test (TTY) number one can call to make sure the program is working? Is there any sort of TTY phone lookup so I can make sure I have the correct phone number.

If it matters I'm in Michigan as is my brother.

Thanks!

Craig

I am trying to call my brother on his tty from my computer. I have installed nextalk.net and it seems to be working. I have tried several times to call and it says the phone is picked up but all I ever get is a "T".

Is there any sort of test (TTY) number one can call to make sure the program is working? Is there any sort of TTY phone lookup so I can make sure I have the correct phone number.

If it matters I'm in Michigan as is my brother.

Thanks!

Craig

Perhaps 711?

I agree - I'd call 711 using the "tty" via nextalk.net and see if it connects to them.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a modem/phone line based TTY program for your computer (you'd need a voice/data modem) you might look into "SoftTTY" - however as I recall it was a bit costly.

Is there a reason that you don't just use IM (instant messaging) like Yahoo/GTalk/AIM etc or text message each other ... I find that I really much prefer using IM with people whenever possible as it's much easier to follow conversations, see when people are typing, add emoticons/smileys to relay emotional information which is so lacking in TTY conversations.

I have a TTY - but it's not even plugged in right now as I almost exclusively use Text(SMS), Instant Messaging (IM), email etc ... when I DO place a phone call I use IP relay or IM relay for my relay calls (at home on my computer, and when I'm out using my blackberry curve cell phone).

Hope that helps ... do call 711 via the textalk and see if you connect properly with them.

The problem is we have not talked in years. Not because there was any problem, just that I had no home phone and , as far as I know, he has no computer. I don't understand why he dosen't just get a cell phone with a data plan. I mean he could text his wife and his kids, I could text him and my sister could text him.

My Sister got a message on her answering machine last Monday from a relay that said he was going in the Hospitial for heart problems. I guess it was from his wife, but no contact info was given. I was hoping to get a hold of her (or him) and find out what was happening. Since I don't even have a phone line, I do everything from my computer (over cable) or my cell phone.

I guess it all comes out as “best laid plans”, I'm hopeing no news is good news

Thanks for the response

cgswss,
I have the same darn problem as you do. I use 3 different computers/laptops and different modems with Futura software with different modem strings from three different location.

Everything was working fine in mid December, come January the old/new reliable modem no longer works with relay or tty. After 15 years?! Yes, I am be in Michigan for the last 13 years. It is not just you.

I have been working with AT&T relay and we can't get it to work with different software in the last three weeks. Seems to have a disconnect on the modem handshake after 24 seconds, I get hangup from relay and tty now.. Changing the modem strings to allow the handshaking longer, doesn't help. I'll get maybe 1 call connect out of 100 a day!

I gave up. I am looking into captel phones, mobile captel phones, webcaptel, exploring reliable IM services that allows me to provide professional engineering service to my customer and suppliers. Currently, I am waiting on captel phones to try out.

Then most conviencent cell with the captel application installed on it.

It doesn't solve your problem, how do you talk to your brother? Back to the old tty phone system? I haven't tried it to see if they still work. Makes me wonder if the 4G network caused all this, someone change their phone servers settings, or went pure baudot...because ASCII doesn't work any more.

It's up to you how much effort & money you want to put into it. I am going involunteerily into latest technology gimzos capabilities unlike you I am deaf/HOH and everyone else audible.

Hope this help you.

Back