Trying to understand closed captions with HDTVs

Don't get smart with me.....look, it has CC settings on the DVD menu....end of story.

As I explain in my previous post that I read the manual

It show the CC settings in the manual but it also stated that the TV have to support the CC function for it to work so it seem that the TV still decodes the CC and the DVD player only turn it on and off.

Instead of saying "Don't get smart with me", why not just tell him where he can find the info?

Here is the CC information:

https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp1013_37/dvp1013_37_dfu_aen.pdf

Look on page 32

Yes it the same manual I read

On page 32 in the manual it stated

Before you select this function, ensure that the disc contains closed captions information and your TV set also has this function.

The manual saying that TV have to support CC for this to work unless whoever wrote this manual is wrong.

So I am only going by what I read in the manual.

If I can find that model at the store locally, I will go buy it and test it to see if CC work without using or depending on TV CC decoder.

Well, I didn't read the manual. I just plugged it in and used it. The captions didn't show up, so I decided to browse thru the DVD menu and noticed there's CC submenu and I turned it on, then it came on. I thought it was odd because TV has the CC turned on already.

Well, I didn't read the manual. I just plugged it in and used it. The captions didn't show up, so I decided to browse thru the DVD menu and noticed there's CC submenu and I turned it on, then it came on. I thought it was odd because TV has the CC turned on already.

Will DVD player still show CC if CC turn off on TV menu? (DVD CC menu on and TV CC menu off)

I am looking for DVD player with built in CC decoder so I can play CC thur the projector because our projector don't have tuner or built in CC decoder.

That why I am looking around see which DVD player have already built in CC decoder.

I am hope this Philip DVP1013 will work CC without use TV CC decoder.

Will DVD player still show CC if CC turn off on TV menu? (DVD CC menu on and TV CC menu off)

I am looking for DVD player with built in CC decoder so I can play CC thur the projector because our projector don't have tuner or built in CC decoder.

That why I am looking around see which DVD player have already built in CC decoder.

I am hope this Philip DVP1013 will work CC without use TV CC decoder.

Sounds like the DVD player takes the code and make sure it goes through to the TV regardless of the connection but does not decode it. You may have to look for another player that actually decodes it. You might have better luck with blu-ray player since those can play DVD's also.

Another option you could try is Tivo. I know those has built in CC decoders. You could connect DVD player to Tivo and then connect Tivo to your projector. Just a thought.

Sounds like the DVD player takes the code and make sure it goes through to the TV regardless of the connection but does not decode it. You may have to look for another player that actually decodes it. You might have better luck with blu-ray player since those can play DVD's also.

Another option you could try is Tivo. I know those has built in CC decoders. You could connect DVD player to Tivo and then connect Tivo to your projector. Just a thought.

I am using a custom HTPC running SageTV to do that. I am trying to elminate a bunky computer since I want to be as much portable as possible.

There are DVD players that decodes CC and play it but they cost over 200 dollars and are DVD recorders too.

I have thought about BlueRay player since I didn't research too much into Blueray so I am not very knowable about Blueray features yet.

Back